Things I'll be watching for vs. Wake | Syracusefan.com

Things I'll be watching for vs. Wake

billsin01

All American
A list of some random things to watch as I eagerly await Week 1:

How does this defense hold up in the middle?
The size issues are well-documented and probably will be a theme throughout the year -- can this team hold up at the point of attack defensively? If we can hang at DT, I think this team could make a run at the success last year's team had. If not, we could be in for a season of shootouts, which leads to my next question ...

Is this offensive line finally a strength?
Rahme seems to indicate he thinks this is one of the stronger units on the team. If so, this could be a very intriguing offense to watch and we may finally see some consistency on the offensive side of the ball.

What does "Marrone's offense" look like?
I don't say this derisively and I list it third b/c I don't know that we'll see every wrinkle in Week 1. But my hope is the addition of the shotgun, more confidence in the OL, a veteran QB/RB combo and some depth at WR and, perhaps, at TE as well means we can finally get a bit more of a glimpse of what Marrone really wants to do on this side of the ball.

Are special teams at least a little more special?
I think we may struggle in the punting game -- which could kill us at some point -- but is there at least a bit more excitement in the return game and some more consistency in the coverage teams?

Is Grobe vs. Marrone a mismatch?
Intriguing matchup b/c I think we are all pretty fond of Marrone and feel he has been solid as a game coach, but Grobe has worked wonders at Wake. I don't anticipate a mismatch, but it will be interesting to watch.

I'll be watching MacPherson. Hopefully he can hold his own there at center.

I'll be watching MacPherson. Hopefully he can hold his own there at center.

It just amazes me the scrutiny area kids are under when they are a starter. I know this happens everywhere and not just here and I never understood why.

A list of some random things to watch as I eagerly await Week 1:

Is Grobe vs. Marrone a mismatch?
Intriguing matchup b/c I think we are all pretty fond of Marrone and feel he has been solid as a game coach, but Grobe has worked wonders at Wake. I don't anticipate a mismatch, but it will be interesting to watch.

Grobe will be under the gun if he doesn't turn it around this year, he was the darling 4-5 years ago but in coaching today that was a different life time. I like Grobe but he hasn't worked those wonders in a few years. They have had three losing seasons in a row. He's a nice guy, class act, but he hasn't been very good for a few years now. I think they have gone 3-9, 5-7, 3-9. even at Wake, he could be done after this year with another season.

I think the mismatch could be the other way around...

Another thing to watch is how our O attacks a 3-4 D. Will other BE teams use this like WVU?

A usual approach is smash mouth with a 2 TE set and we should have good blocking/receiving TE's who can shift around to exploit their
blitzing schemes and make good run or pass gains if the pre-snap calls are made.

Another thing to watch is how our O attacks a 3-4 D. Will other BE teams use this like WVU?

A usual approach is smash mouth with a 2 TE set and we should have good blocking/receiving TE's who can shift around to exploit their
blitzing schemes and make good run or pass gains if the pre-snap calls are made.

I think that since SU has done both 3-4 and 4-3 in practice it has helped Nassib be able to recognize and make the right calls.

Grobe will be under the gun if he doesn't turn it around this year, he was the darling 4-5 years ago but in coaching today that was a different life time. I like Grobe but he hasn't worked those wonders in a few years. They have had three losing seasons in a row. He's a nice guy, class act, but he hasn't been very good for a few years now. I think they have gone 3-9, 5-7, 3-9. even at Wake, he could be done after this year with another season.

No he will not. As far as I am concerned Grobe can have a life time contract for us. The problem is not him but the recruiting classes right before the orange bowl run. Out of the 18 kids we signed that were supposed to be seniors last year I think maybe 6 made it that far and 2 or 3 was starters and the class before was just is bad. This years seniors is where they talent started coming in. This years seniors are the ones we signed right after the orange bowl. I think things begin to turn around even though we have a hellacious schedule this year.

I agree. Grobe's best year at Wake was 2006. Many of the Wake alumni and fans last year were complaining about the type of players that the Wake program was recruiting. To put it nicely they felt that they needed to recruit players that were less "academic" and more athletic in order to start winning again. Grobe is definitely on the hot seat.

I agree. Grobe's best year at Wake was 2006. Many of the Wake alumni and fans last year were complaining about the type of players that the Wake program was recruiting. To put it nicely they felt that they needed to recruit players that were less "academic" and more athletic in order to start winning again. Grobe is definitely on the hot seat.

This is a reason why coaches should strike when the irons hot and when someone offers you a better situation you leave. I feel you have to have the same priorities as the school and if you want marginal academic players you go to the school that will let you do so. Reason number #62 why I like Marrone, he knows the score by now, he's a native NY'er and of course an SU grad so he knows what it takes to succeed here.

You all are wrong Grobe is not on the hot seat at all. The recruiting has picked up at Wake. We are fine.

Buzz the bball coach is much more on the hotseat and has only been here one year. Grobe would have to have 3 more season of 3 or less wins to get on the hot seats. We were a few points from being nearly bowl eligible last year and blew the games against GT and Navy.

I don't agree at all. He's had ONE bad year -- last year, which was admittedly abysmal. Prior to that he had a 5 win season that included a 1-point loss, a 3-point loss and two OT losses. That's hardly a year that will get you fired at wake. The three previous years he won 28 games -- unprecedented, at least in recent history, for Wake.

I'm not saying Marrone will get out-coached. I'm merely saying it's an interesting coaching matchup and Grobe reminds me a bit of a Wannstedt/Edsall old schoolish coach and Marrone's had a bit of trouble with both of those guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom