Things I've learned from the Bone"head" Yard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Things I've learned from the Bone"head" Yard

A flash in the pan with three national titles.

From 1990 on, UCONN won more regular season BE championships and BET championships than Georgetown and SU... combined.

And 3 National Championships vs. 2

we weren't bad.

From 1990 on, UCONN won more regular season BE championships and BET championships than Georgetown and SU... combined.

we weren't bad.
No one said you weren't. No one really cares about your team is all.

Part of sports is hope for tomorrow and looking forward to the next thing. That's gone over there. No one looks forward to SMU.

we weren't bad.
That has nothing to do with the documentary.

And yes, we know you have 3 national titles. San Francisco has 2 too. Past achievements aren't indicative of future success; I like Ollies' potential, but he has a momentous task ahead of him. That conference is a death sentence.

edit: Can I also ask why 1990 is always the cutoff for UConn fans? In case you didn't know, the Big East existed prior to 1990

A flash in the pan with three national titles.
I like how guys like nelsonmuntz get to atagonize on your board perpetually with impunity, yet I have seemingly a lifetime ban for next to nothing.

Part of sports is hope for tomorrow and looking forward to the next thing. That's gone over there. No one looks forward to SMU.

SMU has two top recruits and a HOF coach next year. I expect they will be good.

I think that scrappy bunch of yours has a real shot against Houston next year! Maybe even SMU, too!

I wonder who would win between BCU and Houston. KemPom says Houston all the way.

Reactions: cto
That has nothing to do with the documentary.

And yes, we know you have 3 national titles. San Francisco has 2 too. Past achievements aren't indicative of future success; I like Ollies' potential, but he has a momentous task ahead of him. That conference is a death sentence.

edit: Can I also ask why 1990 is always the cutoff for UConn fans? In case you didn't know, the Big East existed prior to 1990

It was the year we won our first regular season and BET championships (over SU, btw).

we weren't bad.

I noticed you threw Georgetown in there...they weren't exactly bringing much to the table.

Just leave it at "UConn barely won more titles from the arbitrary date that I picked" and avoid teaming us up with them. Thanks.

UConn was (indirectly) referenced plenty of times... Calhoun was shown 5 or 6 times to add some tidbits.
they were also mentioned as "the lesser" teams

I noticed you threw Georgetown in there...they weren't exactly bringing much to the table.

Just leave it at "UConn barely won more titles from the arbitrary date that I picked" and avoid teaming us up with them. Thanks.

Lets use the start of the BE.

UCONN has the most BE regular season championships.

UCONN has the most BET championships.

UCONN has the most national championships.

SU was really amazing over the BE period. Second to Georgetown in the 80's. Then Second to UCONN. And recently, second to UofL.

The consistency is remarkable but SU is the only program to have a HOF coach during the whole BE period so I guess it make sense.

I like how guys like nelsonmuntz get to atagonize on your board perpetually with impunity, yet I have seemingly a lifetime ban for next to nothing.
Exactly. Cue Colonel Nathan Jessup...

Last edited:

SU was really amazing over the BE period. Second to Georgetown in the 80's. Then Second to UCONN. And recently, second to UofL.

The consistency is remarkable but SU is the only program to have a HOF coach during the whole BE period so I guess it make sense.
UConn has 10 regular season titles since the beginning of the conference. With 0 after 2006. UConn has 1 BET title after 2004.

Syracuse also has 10 regular season since the beginning. With 2 coming after 2006. Syracuse has 2 BET titles after 2004.

How many times have you posted that exact same message on opponent(former, in this case) message boards? 50? I swear you've typed it at me at least 5 times after I said something about UConn that rattled your cage.

Do you type it out every time, or do you have it saved and just copy/paste?

I wonder who would win between BCU and Houston. KemPom says Houston all the way.
Sure, pick on a team without a coach.

It was the year we won our first regular season and BET championships (over SU, btw).
Chris Smith was the MVP of that game. His mother worked for me at the time. I have to admit I was happy for them. Good people

10 years late to the party, huh? You missed out on a lot, you know! I hear they even made a documentary on it!
10 years late for hoops, 100 years (too) late for football.

hhh

Why doesn't anyone want you, if you bring so much to the table? You have been left behind. And then espn produces a doc and you hardly get mentioned. These are sad days for UConn. And did you see your apr for this tournament?

Within the context of the documentary what happened in the Big East in the late 80's and beyond is totally irrelevant. The Boneyard is too dumb to realize this.

It documented the rapid rise of the Big East in the 80's -- the factors and the personalities behind it. Like any 30 in 30, it was focused on a specific period. And they wanted to show how the fail was inevitable from the beginning - how it was intertwined with the rise of the confernece. All you needed to show after 1990 was the stories that tied into the "fail" theories that had been presented earlier in the documentary.

It's not brain surgery. This was not "The History of the Big East". It was focused on the most fascinating period of the Big East - the story that was unique. And while UConn was not irrelevant post 1990, it was irrelevant during the period that was featured in the documentary.

The boneyard needs to get a clue.

Within the context of the documentary what happened in the Big East in the late 80's and beyond is totally irrelevant. The Boneyard is too dumb to realize this.

It documented the rapid rise of the Big East in the 80's -- the factors and the personalities behind it. Like any 30 in 30, it was focused on a specific period. And they wanted to show how the fail was inevitable from the beginning - how it was intertwined with the rise of the confernece. All you needed to show after 1990 was the stories that tied into the "fail" theories that had been presented earlier in the documentary.

It's not brain surgery. This was not "The History of the Big East". It was focused on the most fascinating period of the Big East - the story that was unique. And while UConn was not irrelevant post 1990, it was irrelevant during the period that was featured in the documentary.

The boneyard needs to get a clue.

Exactly. I love it.

I would have enjoyed more Sherm than Pearl, but i understand why (Sherm was better but Pearl more charismatic)

The name Boneyard always reminds me of 'Pet Cemetery' by The Ramones, a place I do not want to be buried. Sucks for them they don't have a choice. Saw the 30 for 30 documentary mentioned on the football as well. I guess I will have to check it out.

Exactly. I love it.

I would have enjoyed more Sherm than Pearl, but i understand why (Sherm was better but Pearl more charismatic)

The main reason was that Pearl was instrumental in the growth of the Big East. I think by the time Sherman and the 1987 Orange came around, the Big East was essentially already at its peak. It was after the "climax" period for the rise - 1985 final four.