Things I've learned from the Bone"head" Yard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Things I've learned from the Bone"head" Yard

Chris Smith was the MVP of that game. His mother worked for me at the time. I have to admit I was happy for them. Good people

My lasting memory of that game was in the final seconds, Coleman on the bench with his shoes off and joking around.

The main reason was that Pearl was instrumental in the growth of the Big East. I think by the time Sherman and the 1987 Orange came around, the Big East was essentially at its peak.

I remember when Billy Owens committed. I though SU was going to win a couple of NCs.

It's amazing all the original teams made it the FF in a couple decades. Hell, even BCU made an elite 8 behind Bagley. I feel dirty, but I did cheer for BCU during that run.

Chris Smith was the MVP of that game. His mother worked for me at the time. I have to admit I was happy for them. Good people

I think there was a still a spirit of being all in together at that point. I wanted every BE team to do well outside of conference, just like I was thrilled when WVU beat GA in the sugar bowl.

Maybe if they were, I don't know, relevant back in the 80's, they'd have gotten some face time. The majority of the film was about the building up of the BE and its success during the 80's. UConn was Rutgers at that point.

They even got an SI cover this week.

Oh, wait.

971983_10151909541991367_1201770114_n.jpg

But she's from Syracuse (seriously).

Yes! A Cicero-North Syracuse grad and quite possibly the most humble person you could ever meet. I know her very well. A Syracuse product, and she's far and away the best thing UConn has to offer at this point :)

Within the context of the documentary what happened in the Big East in the late 80's and beyond is totally irrelevant.

It documented the rapid rise of the Big East in the 80's -- the factors and the personalities behind it. Like any 30 in 30, it was focused on a specific period. And they wanted to show how the fail was inevitable from the beginning - how it was intertwined with the rise of the confernece. All you needed to show after 1990 was the stories that tied into the "fail" theories that had been presented earlier in the documentary.

This was not "The History of the Big East". It was focused on the most fascinating period of the Big East - the story that was unique. And while UConn was not irrelevant post 1990, it was irrelevant during the period that was featured in the documentary.

Exactly. The documentary was about the meteoric rise of the Big East and the inevitability of its demise, neither of which UConn played an integral part in since Georgetown and Syracuse and to a slightly lesser degree St. John's and Nova were the impetus for the rise and football was at the heart of its demise.

I'm positive that someone could do a compelling 30 for 30 about how Calhoun turned the Huskies into an elite program and the standard bearer for the Big East in the 90s, but it wasn't what this 30 for 30 was about.

Cheers,
Neil

A flash in the pan with three national titles.

Three titles that were a gift from your big brother Syracuse. You built up a plucky little program on the backs of the Big East powers. Then Syracuse went on probation, allowing you to reach higher. Then you got a joke of a 'title' there at the end. And now, without the coat tails to ride, you are sliding back to Yankee Conference irrelevancy.

Three titles that were a gift from your big brother Syracuse. You built up a plucky little program on the backs of the Big East powers. Then Syracuse went on probation, allowing you to reach higher. Then you got a joke of a 'title' there at the end. And now, without the coat tails to ride, you are sliding back to Yankee Conference irrelevancy.

I wish we had a joke of a title or two.

Exactly. The documentary was about the meteoric rise of the Big East and the inevitability of its demise, neither of which UConn played an integral part in since Georgetown and Syracuse and to a slightly lesser degree St. John's and Nova were the impetus for the rise and football was at the heart of its demise.

I'm positive that someone could do a compelling 30 for 30 about how Calhoun turned the Huskies into an elite program and the standard bearer for the Big East in the 90s, but it wasn't what this 30 for 30 was about.

Cheers,
Neil
of course they could, but who would care?? they could do that for a ton of programs. do a school produced dvd and sell it to alumni, remove all the warts, make it look like god didnt rest on the 7th day, he created blank hoop program. thats all they want.

its not what a 30/30 should be about. theres nothing cool or informative about saying that 2 decades after Pearl elbowed the gorilla...Cuse got a title out of Melo's recruitment and storz won 3 titles along the way. big Fn deal.

this was about a bunch of northern independent mid-majors coming together and forming a conference. a conference that quickly started beating up on the historical big power conferences and became a power conference themselves. however, because of FOOTBALL, a few schools eventually left their little alliance and joined the old school power conferences who finally took a stand and said 'enough is enough we are reclaiming what is rightfully ours, the throne at the college hoop altar'...and thus drove all the leftovers back into mid-major status.

the Big East, the real Big East, the one that died in 1990 or so, is now a footnote in history. a majestic one though.

an era that storz did nothing but take the revenue Cuse & gtown earned and be put on tv because of them...and went out and built themselves something good. theyre a footnote to a footnote.

useless.

of course they could, but who would care?? they could do that for a ton of programs. do a school produced dvd and sell it to alumni, remove all the warts, make it look like god didnt rest on the 7th day, he created blank hoop program. thats all they want.

its not what a 30/30 should be about. theres nothing cool or informative about saying that 2 decades after Pearl elbowed the gorilla...Cuse got a title out of Melo's recruitment and storz won 3 titles along the way. big Fn deal.

this was about a bunch of northern independent mid-majors coming together and forming a conference. a conference that quickly started beating up on the historical big power conferences and became a power conference themselves. however, because of FOOTBALL, a few schools eventually left their little alliance and joined the old school power conferences who finally took a stand and said 'enough is enough we are reclaiming what is rightfully ours, the throne at the college hoop altar'...and thus drove all the leftovers back into mid-major status.

the Big East, the real Big East, the one that died in 1990 or so, is now a footnote in history. a majestic one though.

an era that storz did nothing but take the revenue Cuse & gtown earned and be put on tv because of them...and went out and built themselves something good. theyre a footnote to a footnote.

useless.
You nailed it.

The documentary confirmed and memorialized that UConn is not on a par with the Hoyas as SU's consummate rival / villain. Only the kids on here, who have a short pedigree, think that.

In fact, for the 13 years between 1977 and 1989, UConn only made it into the NCAA tournament ONCE. In that same period, we made it into the NCAA tournament ELEVEN times. Over the BE time period, UConn are a Johnny Come Lately.

UConn's complaints about the 30/30 are the equivalent of Sarah Palin complaining about a documentary on America's founding fathers and not including anything about Abraham Lincoln. Yes, Lincoln is an important part of American history, but he was irrelevant at the time America began. Similarly, UConn is an important part of Big East history yet were irrelevant to the start of the conference.

useless.

Have you actually watched the 30 for 30 series? They do all sorts of things, even on individual players and stories about high school athletes who never even made it. Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

Have you actually watched the 30 for 30 series? They do all sorts of things, even on individual players and stories about high school athletes who never even made it. Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil
ive watched just about all of them, the story always brings me in. theres a certain baseball one i will never watch, but whats your point?

storz was not relevent to the story presented on sunday. they could do a fluff piece on how good the calhoun years were for sure, or even one on him. not sure why anyone would want to watch it other than alumni and their fans though.

I personally had no quarrel w/ UConn and was pulling for them to eventually get the ACC call.
But at some point they turned into the psycho ex-g/f lashing out at everyone and everything that has "scorned" them.
Trying to talk realistically to the Boneheads, and not just bowing at the altar of 3 NC's, is apparently reason enough to get banned.
They can't understand why we're laughing at them...and they don't know why. :p

ive watched just about all of them, the story always brings me in. theres a certain baseball one i will never watch, but whats your point?

storz was not relevent to the story presented on sunday. they could do a fluff piece on how good the calhoun years were for sure, or even one on him. not sure why anyone would want to watch it other than alumni and their fans though.

Which is what I said long before you said it. But your reply to my post didn't seem to be motivated about that. It seemed your response was mostly motivated by my comment that they could make a compelling 30-for-30 about Calhoun taking a nothing program and turning it into an elite program in two decades.

"of course they could, but who would care?? they could do that for a ton of programs."

Which to me, seems to show that you haven't been paying attention to the 30-for-30 series, since these are amongst the types of things they have depicted, regardless of whether or not you, yourself, would care to watch it. This is what I was responding to basically.

Peace,
Neil

This is a really bad post. A "joke of a title"? Come on.

Which is what I said long before you said it. But your reply to my post didn't seem to be motivated about that. It seemed your response was mostly motivated by my comment that they could make a compelling 30-for-30 about Calhoun taking a nothing program and turning it into an elite program in two decades.

"of course they could, but who would care?? they could do that for a ton of programs."

Which to me, seems to show that you haven't been paying attention to the 30-for-30 series, since these are amongst the types of things they have depicted, regardless of whether or not you, yourself, would care to watch it. This is what I was responding to basically.

Peace,
Neil
i just responded to you and tried to back up your point and then throw my take into it. all good, my friend.

but i am concerned...why "Peace" this time????

where the hell is my "Cheers"????

did you stop drinking this AM??

did this thread cause you to stop??? did i???

say it isnt so, Neil!!!

the tourny has started... and youve been Cheers-ing everyone for as long as i can remember.

dont F with the mojo!!!

i just responded to you and tried to back up your point and then throw my take into it. all good, my friend.

but i am concerned...why "Peace" this time????

where the hell is my "Cheers"????

did you stop drinking this AM??

did this thread cause you to stop??? did i???

say it isnt so, Neil!!!

the tourny has started... and youve been Cheers-ing everyone for as long as i can remember.

dont F with the mojo!!!

okay, okay...

CHEERS!!!!

And while I may have cut back on my drinking, I will never ever give it up entirely.

Cheers,
Neil

Lets use the start of the BE.

UCONN has the most BE regular season championships.

UCONN has the most BET championships.

UCONN has the most national championships.

SU was really amazing over the BE period. Second to Georgetown in the 80's. Then Second to UCONN. And recently, second to UofL.

The consistency is remarkable but SU is the only program to have a HOF coach during the whole BE period so I guess it make sense.
So good for such a short period time and yet nobody wants you. Nobody cares about you. UCONN is left behind and I know it's hard to take.