Thinking about Turnover and Next Years Lineup | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Thinking about Turnover and Next Years Lineup

How Many Players from this Year's Roster are Replaced

• Total voters
There is a lot of talk about the type of players/positions Cuse needs to bring in via portal. It seems people are suggesting a PG, a shooter and a big. In order to accommodate 3 incoming transfers four current players would need to transfer out. As things currently stand one player has to leave just to make room for the 2 incoming freshmen. Popular opinion seems to suggest that one player is Judah. Hard to definitely identify three other realistic candidates.

I don’t think Mintz is going anywhere, unless he wants to play in the G league or Europe.

So, it’s going to be Starling and Mintz, again. Maybe Judah could lose some of his ego and pass the ball next year. Gerry could work with him about his attitude and 3 PT production.

I think the coaches evaluate the recruits very well and they’ve done that for incoming, IMO.

It’s like a fresh start next year. Red will have the team he kind of wants , hopefully. Not JB’s leftovers.

The departures will be gone but watch out for the incoming. So far we have two four stars, a shooting guard in 6’4” Moore, and 6’ 9” power forward in Donnie Freeman. But, no one can predict how they will react to play at this level.

(ov)= official visit, (uv) unofficial visit, But there is a long list of players we are recruiting, some of whom are close to SU. However it’s a crap shoot to really know who’s going to be here and who’s not. Then, they are all freshman, again. Who knows how they’ll adjust to HIGH LEVEL play?

They are in no particular order: 4 Stars all. SG Kiyan Anthony(ov), PG Nigel James(ov), G Derek Dixon (ov), PF Matthew Gilhool (ov), F Sadik White (ov), PG Tyler Jackson (uv), SF London Jamison (uv), PG Jerry Easter, F Cam Ward, PG Deron Rippey, visiting Saturday.

Next year will be a good if we bring in, besides the two already signed, one or two of the above trouble is, again, they are all freshman and not half the talent of a Melo.

Out of the portal, we need a BIG, a non – skinny, good one and someone who can play forward shoot 3’s and make them.

I see leaving: Justin Taylor, Cuffe, Clayton, Ruffin, Westry, Gatty, Hima, Carey.

The Caveat here is if Taylor leaves will Brown go with him? I see, as others have, Taylor at the end of the bench, a sub. Perhaps he will get his groove back and play well again. I am not taking chances getting rid of him and his buddy Brown going also – he’s too valuable.

Bell, say what you want about his social media blurts but he's 64 - 163 .393% highest on the team.
Why would Westry leave? He just used his transfer.

Yea. That guys post was all over the place. I don’t see chance or cuffe going anywhere.

Talking about package deals with Brown. Freeman is a 5 star. Also talking about walk on leaving as if we get more scholarship players when they go. He was right about the class of ‘25 guys tho.

It would be interesting to list out all the guys that have burned their transfers and are locked in. But I’m lazy…..

My best guess is Judah leaves, Bell transfers, Hima would have to be asked to leave but it's possible if 7'4 looks solidly healthy, and Brown will get a big bag someplace and could go (just because this is what happens now).

Presume that JJ, Quadir, Westry, Taylor, McLeod, Cuffe stay.
I’m sure Brown will get a big bag…to stay at Syracuse. He’ll be a centerpiece of the team going forward.

It would be interesting to list out all the guys that have burned their transfers and are locked in. But I’m lazy…..
The times seem to have changed. I don't believe players are currently restricted to one transfer without having to sit out a season.

I’m sure Brown will get a big bag…to stay at Syracuse. He’ll be a centerpiece of the team going forward.
If the staff (and NIL collective parties) can't secure Maliq long-term, an already ticking clock will notch closer to midnight in Year 2

So Maliq would leave to show solidarity and just uproot after two years? I don’t know, just sounds weird.
theres a lot of things that have been annoying this season

but this urge so many people seem to have to talk maliq leaving for "greener pastures" in existence might take the cake

what is the point? why?

if he transfers it will be super annoying...but just the very premise that it is a good possibility and people are kinda acting like it would be expected...its just so weird to me

He’s been gift wrapped a starting position for 56 games. I have no idea how he’s had any challenges.

He’s out here getting in spats on social media calling out his stats while he’s been on two of the worst-ever Syracuse teams in the history of the program while starting.

Out of 26 games he’s started this year, he has had 1 or 0 assists in 23, with a season high of 3 in a game. He has more turnovers than assists this season.

Out of 26 games this season as a starting forward, he has 23 with 4 or fewer rebounds.

This is all on top of the rumblings of not exactly being the best locker room guy.

I like Bell. I think he’s gotten better. However, I think he’s been graded on a curve bc of how bad we are and guys like JT.

He hasn’t been challenged at all. He’s still starting every game. He’s getting in arguments with his teammates on camera, he’s calling out his scoring totals on social media. And, again, he’s still starting and has been.
this roster is SO WEIRDLY CONSTRUCTED

4 centers - none of whom can play at replacement level

4 Small forwards, 1 Power forward (who has to play center)

0 point guards

3 shooting guards/combo guards.

some injured players/kicked off players

Anyone can transfer multiple times now as Bayside said above.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that case. I haven't followed it closely but I think a preliminary injunction was issued enjoining the NCAA from enforcing the transfer rule effective this year - so anyone who portals this school year won't sit out. It's not a permanent rule, yet.

Next year:

There are 3 guaranteed starters on net year's team
  • JJ, Brown and Freeman in this order. Freeman is not coming here to come off the bench.
The two other starting positions up for grabs
  • Bell, McLeod, Copeland, Chance, portal big, portal guard
Bench
  • Moore, Cuffe, Carey, Patterson
Most likely to transfer
  • Taylor, Hima, Carey (if he gets the talk that playing a level down would be in best interest) and Bell (if he's told its an open competition for the SF spot and he sees hat Westry can do and/or we pursue portal forwards)
Guess at starting lineup:
  • Option 1: JJ, Chance, Freeman, Brown and Bell - Most talented starting five but with rebounding issues, Brown accepting center role and no true distributor; shooting dependent on Chance and Freeman being threats
  • Option 2: substitute Bell for Mcleod or a portal center; rebounding solved but shooting is much worse
  • Option 3: substitute Cope or portal PG for Chance in option 1
  • Most likely: Red gets his wish and can play 10 and has versatility with 3 guard sets
    • 5 Guard rotation looks solid with JJ, Chance, Cope, Cuffe and Moore
    • 5 Frontline rotation of Brown, Freeman, Bell, McLeod and portal
    • 2 very limited minutes: Patterson and Carey
This doesn't look like a top 20 team but I suspect this squad would be good enough to make the NCAA's and potentially win a game or two.

Cuse!

Next year:

• JJ, Brown and Freeman in this order. Freeman is not coming here to come off the bench.
Bench
Most likely to transfer
  • Taylor, Hima, Carey (if he gets the talk that playing a level down would be in best interest) and Bell (if he's told its an open competition for the SF spot and he sees hat Westry can do and/or we pursue portal forwards)
  • Option 1: JJ, Chance, Freeman, Brown and Bell - Most talented starting five but with rebounding issues, Brown accepting center role and no true distributor; shooting dependent on Chance and Freeman being threats
  • Option 2: substitute Bell for Mcleod or a portal center; rebounding solved but shooting is much worse
  • Most likely: Red gets his wish and can play 10 and has versatility with 3 guard sets
This doesn't look like a top 20 team but I suspect this squad would be good enough to make the NCAA's and potentially win a game or two.

Cuse!
I don't know... That starting lineup of Brown, Freeman, Bell, Westry and Starling would have two McDonald's AA's, two other top 50 recruits and Brown, who has been the best of them so far. It also would have three juniors who have been starters for years.

Off the bench would be a 7'4" change of pace center, (a portal forward with high potential?), two other guys coming out of high school ranked in the top100 and a guy who Kansas liked enough to recruit.

Based on high school recruiting rankings, there is absolutely no reason that squad can't be top 10.

Now the proof is in getting it done, but they'll have the talent. On paper.

this roster is SO WEIRDLY CONSTRUCTED

4 centers - none of whom can play at replacement level

4 Small forwards, 1 Power forward (who has to play center)

0 point guards

3 shooting guards/combo guards.

some injured players/kicked off players
Well said. I think Autry will learn there needs to be some more structure, depth and and an older team will make a big difference.

Then again it is pretty awesome that we have Brown that can defend 1-5 and Q that can play 4 positions.

I don't know... That starting lineup of Brown, Freeman, Bell, Westry and Starling would have two McDonald's AA's, two other top 50 recruits and Brown, who has been the best of them so far. It also would have three juniors who have been starters for years.

Off the bench would be a 7'4" change of pace center, (a portal forward with high potential?), two other guys coming out of high school ranked in the top100 and a guy who Kansas liked enough to recruit.

Based on high school recruiting rankings, there is absolutely no reason that squad can't be top 10.

Now the proof is in getting it done, but they'll have the talent. On paper.
That’s one way of putting it

Next year:

Bench
Most likely to transfer

Cuse!
Nice post. I thought the same with Bell. When he gets the talk and is told he's competing with 3 guys at SF he may just say well see ya later. I'll shoot my way into the NBA and maybe he will.

I actually think depending on who goes to portal we may bring in a 3rd portal guy just for rebounding and more size.

Next year:

Bench
Most likely to transfer

Cuse!
I see no reason for Brown to stay if he is going to be expected to play center again next year.

He's a 3 year starter in the ACC. This isn't just oh there's a few guys graduating type of year, most teams are losing almost all of their production with the Seniors and Super Seniors leaving. I'm not saying he'll start at a blue blood, but that phone will be ringing. First call will come from Brownell down in Klemson country.

Bell is only a sophomore. Is "3 Year Starter" based on AP credits he earned in high school?

There is a lot of talk about the type of players/positions Cuse needs to bring in via portal. It seems people are suggesting a PG, a shooter and a big. In order to accommodate 3 incoming transfers four current players would need to transfer out. As things currently stand one player has to leave just to make room for the 2 incoming freshmen. Popular opinion seems to suggest that one player is Judah. Hard to definitely identify three other realistic candidates.

Carey, Hima and Taylor. See, that was easy.
If Westry can't get healthy by summer, there's another possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom