This board has lost it | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This board has lost it

Good take. I also think you need to factor in that last night was USF's play in game. They had a chance to stamp their NCAA bid and we were going to get an above the line effort from them. I agree when we blew it open in the second half we should have stepped on their throats. Rutgers I am not too concerned over. Decent squad and they play completely different at home than they do on the road.

I understand that, re: USF. If it was one game, no biggie. Seems to be kind of a pattern though, which is the worrisome thing. (Then again, we are still crushing the BE both in scoring margin and record, so w hat do I know?)

About the game; I thought those 2 layups (or close to layups) that Triche missed seemed to spark the USF run. IT was 36-23 I think after he got fouled on the 3, and he had a couple of close in shots that he missed. Might have ended their run before it started.

Good post. Some folks are going overboard in their criticism. But it is natural to be concerned when the team has to go to the wire against both Rutgers and S. Florida who aren't real good. Same with WVU which the other top tier BE teams are beating the crap out of them.

This does not apply to the more cautious posters in this thread (because I think they have legit concerns and aren't really being over the top about it), but to many of the nancies on this board seem to be excited about the "inevitability" of flame out and the chance to be proven right. There's no inclination that these posters even hope they're wrong.

This...I think is the point. I guess it's one thing to say we have issues with defensive rebounding and half court offense, but something entirely different when it's in the context of not making a run in the tourney or not being a top 10 team. Or better yet, linking THIS season to previous tourney failures. That's a bunch of crap.

Best regular season in SU history and we're clearly one of the top teams in the country, so IMO any discussion about what needs to happen to win it all should start from there. Not the fear of going out in the first weekend because this team is not those teams.

44cuse

28-1 and the constant nitpicking is unbelievable. Last night the highlights here were we are the most overrated team in the country, Notre Dame would kill us if we played them again, we are destined for an early exit in the NCAA's, etc, etc, etc.

Every team is tired this tme of year.
Every team has at least one weakness that potentially could be exploited in the tournament
Every team has games where they struggle

Here is what every team doesnt have

A hall of fame coach
Senior leadership
28 wins
1 loss
a regular season conference championship
a #1 seed waiting for them in the NCAA tournament
the ability to play not up to par and still win
an undefeated record with our normal starting 5

Look I get that we are struggling in certain areas. The bottom line is that the regular season is all about putting yourself in a position where you have the best percentage chance of reaching a final four. We have accomplished that. We will be the #1 seed in the east playing basically a stones throw away for the first 4 rounds. Those arenas will be packed with Syracuse fans. How can people complain about this season? Are you kidding me? 28-1, top 2 in the country all year, no February swoon, big east champions, #1 seed, playing close to home. Jesus this is I dream about happening and now its happening.

Were we spolied as fans when we were blowing teams out? Is that it? Christ get over it. Winning games any way is all that matters.

All in.

When you are 28-1 you are thinking about one thing: What will it take to win the national championship? All other comparisons are irrelevant. We look at how this team has played over the last month and we really don't see a national championship team. We've got a glaring weakness: Since we don't have a true power forward we are getting badly outrebounded in some games. And, although we are a decent outside shooting team, that phase of the game has almost disappearred. That doesn't mean we won't shoot well in the future and can't break even on the boards against most teams. But if we don't, this glorious season will have a sad- and early end. The bar is high so we aren't just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

Well my point was that people keep saying stuff like rebounding will be our downfall, we cant win if we keep shooting poorly, other teams like Kentucky or UNC will exploit us, etc. I think we can win with our rebounding issues. I think we can win if we struggle in a halfcourt game. Hell we havent lost yet with Fab in the lineup, what makes people think that we will lose going forward? Wheres the evidence? There isnt any. A lot of this is based on asumptions and prior years heartaches.

We arent playing great basketball right now. You are correct. Yet we are still winning. That alone should tell you something. This isnt a fluke that we are winning these close games. I actually am thrilled to see team after team putting us in a meat grinder and us having to constantly find ways to win games in ways we are not used too. What has happened the last 2 NCAA loses? We got put into a vice and never were able to grind out that victory. You dont think that all of these painful to watch games will help us in the tournament? Then throw in when we start making shots.

I am not trying to waive the pom poms here. I just am pointing out that while we certainly have some issues that need fixing, we are winning games we are so used to seeing a Syracuse team lose. That is why I think come tourney time if we are put in this type of a game we will now start winning them.
for a guy who loves basketball so much he watches women's games, I read and beELIve what you say.

who should feel confidant right now? Mizzou? They just lost at home to K state. Mich state? they were lucky to win against Minn. UNC? Some bad losses. Everyone has some warts. Ours have w's next to them.

I think you're missing the point. It's not that there are a great number of teams who are 'better' than SU. It's that we're not really playing as well as our record indicates and, because of that, we can lose to ANYONE in the tournament field.

Who should feel confident of winning the whole show? Kentucky. And that's it. After that, it's going to be wide open. And, that's the reason for the anxiety. Our fans see our record, and there's the huge weight of those expectations. T'hen, they see our games, and we're not passing the 'eye test.' We don't look as good as 28-1.

"Constant nitpicking?" Jeezus. It's a discussion forum, not a pep rally. If you can't see and discuss both sides, you're probably not having a very interesting conversation.

28-1 and the constant nitpicking is unbelievable. Last night the highlights here were we are the most overrated team in the country, Notre Dame would kill us if we played them again, we are destined for an early exit in the NCAA's, etc, etc, etc.

Every team has at least one weakness that potentially could be exploited in the tournament

A hall of fame coach
Senior leadership
28 wins
1 loss

Look I get that we are struggling in certain areas. The bottom line is that the regular season is all about putting yourself in a position where you have the best percentage chance of reaching a final four. We have accomplished that. We will be the #1 seed in the east playing basically a stones throw away for the first 4 rounds. Those arenas will be packed with Syracuse fans. How can people complain about this season? Are you kidding me? 28-1, top 2 in the country all year, no February swoon, big east champions, #1 seed, playing close to home. Jesus this is I dream about happening and now its happening.

Were we spolied as fans when we were blowing teams out? Is that it? Christ get over it. Winning games any way is all that matters.

All in.
I think that's why I'm most concerned with the way the team is playing right now. Because they are damn special, have great interchangeable pieces, has great character, plays great defense and has a will to win. I'm psyched they're winning, but concerned that the ugly dog fight contests against USF and Rutgers point to a potential problem with the way this team plays on offense. They're too good, and too primed to lose in the Sweet 16 again, I'm hoping that these offensive issues start to clear up in time for March.

This...I think is the point. I guess it's one thing to say we have issues with defensive rebounding and half court offense, but something entirely different when it's in the context of not making a run in the tourney or not being a top 10 team. Or better yet, linking THIS season to previous tourney failures. That's a bunch of crap.

Best regular season in SU history and we're clearly one of the top teams in the country, so IMO any discussion about what needs to happen to win it all should start from there. Not the fear of going out in the first weekend because this team is not those teams.

44cuse

Great post.

28 wins
1 loss

All the statistics in the world go out the window when the tournament starts. Whoever we play in March is not going to give a rat's ass about our wins, #1 seed and regular season trophies. If you want to post something tangible, mention the potential advantage we would have playing close to home. That's something most other teams would not have.

I think you're missing the point. It's not that there are a great number of teams who are 'better' than SU. It's that we're not really playing as well as our record indicates and, because of that, we can lose to ANYONE in the tournament field.

Who should feel confident of winning the whole show? Kentucky. And that's it. After that, it's going to be wide open. And, that's the reason for the anxiety. Our fans see our record, and there's the huge weight of those expectations. T'hen, they see our games, and we're not passing the 'eye test.' We don't look as good as 28-1.

"Constant nitpicking?" Jeezus. It's a discussion forum, not a pep rally. If you can't see and discuss both sides, you're probably not having a very interesting conversation.

Ummm...doesn't really make sense to me...they have won 28 games and lost ONLY ONE. Should every game be a blow out? What should their record be? I never understood the phrase " they aren't playing like a XX win team"...obviously they are or they wouldn't be 28-1.

Remember, these are conference games...against teams that see us every year and spend the off seasons coming up with game plans to play against us/each other...unlike tourney teams that have a limited amount of time...

Sure, we're certainly not playing our best basketball of season right now. But good lord, do you really think we could lose to ANYONE in the tournament field?

A hall of fame coach
Senior leadership
28 wins
1 loss

All in.

Great post. I almost posted a similar one last night although it was more specific to how this board would rather discuss "What if's" on the 2010 season than the current 28-1 season.

I'm not sure I agree with everyone on the "essentially undefeated" status. Nobody on the team looked good that day against Notre Dame. A strong argument could be made that that was due to the rest of the team feeling the Melo loss. I still think that could have been a What loss with Melo but I'm sure i'm in the minority there. Anyways, I don't want to contribute too much to the complaining. 28-1!

The level of NEGATIVITY increases, the closer we get to the postseason.
Classic symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.

Well my point was that people keep saying stuff like rebounding will be our downfall, we cant win if we keep shooting poorly, other teams like Kentucky or UNC will exploit us, etc. I think we can win with our rebounding issues. I think we can win if we struggle in a halfcourt game. Hell we havent lost yet with Fab in the lineup, what makes people think that we will lose going forward? Wheres the evidence? There isnt any. A lot of this is based on asumptions and prior years heartaches.

We arent playing great basketball right now. You are correct. Yet we are still winning. That alone should tell you something. This isnt a fluke that we are winning these close games. I actually am thrilled to see team after team putting us in a meat grinder and us having to constantly find ways to win games in ways we are not used too. What has happened the last 2 NCAA loses? We got put into a vice and never were able to grind out that victory. You dont think that all of these painful to watch games will help us in the tournament? Then throw in when we start making shots.

I am not trying to waive the pom poms here. I just am pointing out that while we certainly have some issues that need fixing, we are winning games we are so used to seeing a Syracuse team lose. That is why I think come tourney time if we are put in this type of a game we will now start winning them.

Yeah, when I responded to you I was responding to what I read as a blanket statement. Maybe I took it the wrong way. Because the essence of your post I completely agree with:

"Winning close games in the grinder has not always been an SU hallmark. We are doing it now." (not quoting you, just for emphasis)

And as you may or may not have seen in my other post in this thread, the discussion about us not being a Top 10 team or linking the this stretch of close games to past season's tourney flame outs is garbage. This is a different team and the evidence of that is in the record and in the fact that we are winning games that SU teams in the past would have lost (circular reference but...see: record again). Everything should (discussion wise) should start from us being one of the top 3,4, or 5 teams and what it takes for us to win in that context. Any other than that does this great season a diservice.

I think if I had to sum this up, I would say it this way: I know we are the 2nd best (or potentially best) team in the country. But we are not playing like it.

44cuse

D-fense & lack of TO's has never waivered - thus we win.

Yeah, when I responded to you I was responding to what I read as a blanket statement. Maybe I took it the wrong way. Because the essence of your post I completely agree with:

"Winning close games in the grinder has not always been an SU hallmark. We are doing it now." (not quoting you, just for emphasis)

And as you may or may not have seen in my other post in this thread, the discussion about us not being a Top 10 team or linking the this stretch of close games to past season's tourney flame outs is garbage. This is a different team and the evidence of that is in the record and in the fact that we are winning games that SU teams in the past would have lost (circular reference but...see: record again). Everything should (discussion wise) should start from us being one of the top 3,4, or 5 teams and what it takes for us to win in that context. Any other than that does this great season a diservice.

I think if I had to sum this up, I would say it this way: I know we are the 2nd best (or potentially best) team in the country. But we are not playing like it.

44cuse
good assessment

By my count, Syracuse has played only 5 quality teams this year (meaning, teams that I think are legitimate threats to make the Sweet 16): Florida, Marquette, Notre Dame, Georgetown and Louisville.

Of those, I think Marquette and Notre Dame are a cut above the other three. So, three quality teams and two high quality teams.

Against the two high quality teams, the Orange have been seriously outplayed in 3 out of four halves (I sometimes wonder whether this team may have peaked at halftime of the Marquette game).

Against the other three, we have
  • a 4 point win vs. Florida, at home, while their best shooter was absent from the lineup.
  • an overtime win vs. Georgetown - at home
  • a one point win on the road vs Louisville
These teams are all of the level of teams SU might face in the rounds of 32 and 16, and the Orange are struggling to beat them - struggling to beat them at home.

I don't care about comparisons to Kentucky or any of the other top 6 or 8 teams - if we meet them, we are already in the Regional Finals or beyond, and mission accomplished.

I am talking about our ability to get that far. The Rounds of 32 and 16 are littered with the bones of many great SU teams, and this current group does not exhibit the profile of the handful who have survived. You win in March when you can score the ball, especially in the half court. This team lacks a low post threat and consistent shooters. It's got two guys (the two seniors) who are currently able to create their own offense (Dion is shooting just .366 from the field since the Pitt game), and Scoop has the added burden of not just finding his own shot but creating offense for nearly everyone else on the floor. Shut Scoop down and the Orange offense will grind to a halt.

I hope he is up to the challenge, because otherwise there will be suicide-level disappointment for the very large contingent of "All In" posters

Sure, we're certainly not playing our best basketball of season right now. But good lord, do you really think we could lose to ANYONE in the tournament field?
Rutgers will not make the tournament. South Florida may not either. We played bad enough to lose both of those games so the answer is yes. We've cried wolf too many times, we're due to be bitten. No team can play bad enough to lose every game and expect to keep winning them all.

There is definitely something to be said about a team that does win those games... but there is a lot more to be said of teams that don't put themselves in that position game after game.

Moqui: No way Murphy is Florida's "best shooter." Other than that, great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom