This board is fine | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This board is fine

Well I try to remind myself that after we lost to Pitt I thought it would be another year at least before we’d be ranked in the top 25z

This past basketball season, we lost at home to Georgia Tech, the entire board was emo, and then we won at #1 Duke the following game. Stranger things have happened. I truly believe we come out and take Clemson deep into the second half, at minimum.

But even if we shock the world and beat Clemson, it doesn't mean Dino and the coaching staff is suddenly off the hook for not having a coherent game plan vs. Maryland.

Well many of those don’t just ask what happened Saturday, they question everything a HC is responsible for. Everything.
My biggest worry about Saturday isn’t related to this season. It’s related to Dino and his future here.

If I’m not mistaken, he’s wanted a passer like DeVito to run his offense, no?

Well, that doesn’t work when you’re recruiting 3 stars on the OL and at skill positions, and not really developing them all that much. Especially on the OL.

There’s a reason so many teams utilize dual threat QBs. Some of it is due to the fact most teams can’t recruit OL’s like Georgia.

Our offense doesn’t seem very innovative. I see teams every week running the same offense, faster, cleaner and more effectively than us.

The defense is what it is.. Super disappointing Saturday, but the offense, and Dino’s ability to recruit/develop in a P5 conference has me worried. This is Year 4. This is now “his” team. Early returns are not good.

Of course he’s earned the ability for us to not freak out over a few games, or even this full year... but I feel this criticism is very valid moving forward.

Hopefully we rally, develop, progress and it’s not a worry anymore. I’m sure 99% of us want that.

This past basketball season, we lost at home to Georgia Tech, the entire board was emo, and then we won at #1 Duke the following game. Stranger things have happened. I truly believe we come out and take Clemson deep into the second half, at minimum.

But even if we shock the world and beat Clemson, it doesn't mean Dino and the coaching staff is suddenly off the hook for not having a coherent game plan vs. Maryland.

Off the hook? I mean, they are allowed bad days. You gotta learn, improve and then move on at some point.

Maybe..just maybe...the game plan WAS sound but the execution was beyond bad? I didn't see many fundamentals on either side of the ball and it sure looked like the team was sleepwalking. What's the game plan for that?

it sure looked like the team was sleepwalking. What's the game plan for that?

I mean, we have a coach who is nationally famous for charismatic speeches. Say something so that they're no longer sleepwalking. That's why you make millions of dollars.

I drank the cool-aid preseason. The realist in me thought that we might struggle a bit this year but the fan in me was thinking of winning the ACC and possibly getting to the playoff.
It has taken me until today to recalibrate after Saturday's debacle. 7 to 8 wins is doable but wont be easy. I dont see many (if any) gimee games in the ACC slate. We should take care of Louisville and Duke. Wake, BC & NC State are far from guaranteed wins, maybe toss-ups. Florida St - I dont know what to think about them. They should be better but are probably there in the Duke & Louisville column. I'm glad that we dont have NC or Virginia this year.

Give me Heckel and Williams back healthy by NC State and I think the outlook changes quite a bit.

We give it hell this week and hopefully come out relatively healthy for the following week vs WMU. If we can go at least 3-2 in the first 5 AND get 2 key contributors back at needed positions with an extra week to re-calibrate and 10 wins still isn't off the table. If we go 4-1 in the first 5 games then we'll be on track for most season predictions...

If we want to get everyone amped up, SU should announce that instead of 3pm, all parking lots will be open for tailgating at 8am and that there will be free beer.
and did I hear the AD on the radio say he wanted everyone up in the Quad by 1? Two hours before the lots supposedly open?

and did I hear the AD on the radio say he wanted everyone up in the Quad by 1? Two hours before the lots supposedly open?

Not sure what he said but the quad event starts at 4.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

I was disappointing and it really sucked sitting out in the that heat/sun watching our doors get blown off but I was fairly level headed compared to our Pitt lose last season.
I'm impressed with Maryland and really really hope they crush Penn St.
This game could have been the wake up call we need to get to 9 wins.
Oh yeah the great Pitt loss that made this household living hell for a week. That was fun.

I was a little worried when Liberty was a bit tougher than I expected.

I was definitely taken by surprise by how quickly we got knocked out against Maryland.

Clemson is house money. If we somehow win that I'll be calculating if we can get into the CFP.

My goal is take care of business for WMU and Holy Cross and see things clicking and get guys back in the lineup that have been hurt. If we're still out of sorts between QB/WRs, the OL play is shaky and our D is still swiss cheese, then I'll be very worried. Otherwise, I think the schedule is setting up nicely for us if we can get to 3-2 before the bye.

We end up at 8-4, that's a very good season. Solid bowl game.

I have to remind myself that we just don't have the base line talent to be getting to 12 wins in any year yet. But we have a QB that can zip the ball 50 yards. We have Triston Jackson. We have a solid stable of RBs. We have some work to do on defense (outside of our DEs this year), especially at LB.

Think about this, the difference between our current recruiting classes and top 30/40 where we want to be is likely having a few four star guys. Think about if we had one big, strong WR that could win jump balls, one additional OL that you can slot in and just be dependable (not even all conference), one additional DT and one LB that we could count on. How good would we all feel?

In an ideal world, we keep Dino, keep investing in the facilities, keep being inventive as it comes to promoting the football program and get to a point that lands us somewhere like:

20s/30s in recruiting (especially skill position guys) each year.
Continue to dominate special teams
Once every five years have at least an outside shot to say, "we have a legit chance at getting to the CFP"
Finish in the top 25 each year.

That's my goal. Anything more than that I think we need a T Boone-type benefactor.

What was the 1997 syracusefan board like when they lost to Va Tech to start 1-3? We're fans, we're fanatical.

Rick, love ya but u gotta realize that fandom goes both ways. As long as no one is completely crude or personal to others, let the freak flag fly. I love that there are other crazy Syracuse fans.

If we want to get everyone amped up, SU should announce that instead of 3pm, all parking lots will be open for tailgating at 8am and that there will be free beer.
From your fingertips to god’s ears

Well many of those don’t just ask what happened Saturday, they question everything a HC is responsible for. Everything.

Yeah, if only many of "those" folks questioned what happened Saturday, and asked what is everything a HC is responsible for, "those" folks would've had a bit more credibility. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom