This close game is on the coach. | Syracusefan.com

This close game is on the coach.

Deano

All American
Up by over 22 I don't have a problem with allowing subs in the game but when the lead started dwindling you get your starters back in. NOOOO way Gillon should have been out there as long as he was. Frank was having an awesome game and you don't sit your starting PG that long.

BTW I do not like TT at the 5, he's not strong enough.

Team has a loooong way to go.

Up by over 22 I don't have a problem with allowing subs in the game but when the lead started dwindling you get your starters back in. NOOOO way Gillon should have been out there as long as he was. Frank was having an awesome game and you don't sit your starting PG that long.

This game by Thompson made me want to give Chukwu another look. ...and it was going to take a lot for me to want that.

Love the new starting lineup but Roberson is our only ACC caliber bench player. Everyone else is not good enough to be getting any minutes in this league.

This game by Thompson made me want to give Chukwu another look. ...and it was going to take a lot for me to want that.

Love the new starting lineup but Roberson is our only ACC caliber bench player. Everyone else is not good enough to be getting any minutes in this league.
The good news is that we now know for certain, who should be starting and where. Now, jb has to learn who to bring in off the bench. It's funny, normally we all hate that he only goes 7 deep. Now almost all of us feel that he is going too deep and for too long. The starting line up can play. We need Howard to hit some free throws at the end of games. But this bench??? They have to stay there.

good teams can feature transfers, but strong teams do not typically depend on 1/3 of the rotation being pulled from the remainder bin of basketball backwaters

Thompson is lost out there. Deer in the headlights. Chukwu needs some time

The good news is that we now know for certain, who should be starting and where. Now, jb has to learn who to bring in off the bench. It's funny, normally we all hate that he only goes 7 deep. Now almost all of us feel that he is going too deep and for too long. The starting line up can play. We need Howard to hit some free throws at the end of games. But this bench??? They have to stay there.
Remember when we thought this team was 9 deep... Yikes, barely 6 deep, and that's when Roberson decides he feels like playing.

I love how everything is on the Coach. Not like he throws the ball out of bounds, doesn't grab defensive rebounds, or defend the 3 point line. Give me a break with the "I blame JB" crap. Our players are playing poorly and making mistakes.

I love how everything is on the Coach. Not like he throws the ball out of bounds, doesn't grab defensive rebounds, or defend the 3 point line. Give me a break with the "I blame JB" crap. Our players are playing poorly and making mistakes.
Excluding AW's shooting, the team played about ten good minutes today at the most. Fortunately those ten were enough to make up for the other 30 minutes.

he's 21 years old and in his 3rd season of D1 basketball. I'm guessing we're seeing his ceiling.
True but we need someone to be backup C and I'd rather a 7'3 uncoordinated guy who doesn't know how to play defense than a 6'10 one.

he's 21 years old and in his 3rd season of D1 basketball. I'm guessing we're seeing his ceiling.
I don't believe that. I don't know hoe long he has been playing basketball but big kids take longer. He may not get there but I haven't given up on him. Having said that, I really don't care to see him on the court any time soon.

Excluding AW's shooting, the team played about ten good minutes today at the most. Fortunately those ten were enough to make up for the other 30 minutes.
Exactly my point. Everyone wants someone to blame and it is JB more often than not. But I am not sure we are good enough to warrant this criticism towards him. We are a bunch of puzzle pieces that do not fit together at this point.

I can't believe you dared to go there...questioning our HOF coach in any capacity here is so unjustified. ;):)

Exactly my point. Everyone wants someone to blame and it is JB more often than not. But I am not sure we are good enough to warrant this criticism towards him. We are a bunch of puzzle pieces that do not fit together at this point.
Boeheim recruits these puzzle pieces. It's his job to put them together and get them to play well. So far he has not done that. Lets hope they improve but I am definitely skeptical

That's all fair. It's tough - we go up 21 and it seems ideal to get Gillon some run and Thompson. I was surprised it didn't come sooner as we seemed to be rolling over them (which is what we should do). However, everything kind of broke down. Not sure how much to criticize JB, other than to say, that move was his and it seemed to be the impetus for the comeback. I'm not sure I do much differently, other than I would have pulled Gillon back out sooner. It happens.

Hey, we got some practice finishing a close game!

So whose decision was it to leave Gillon at PG while the lead melted away, Hopkins?

Boeheim recruits these puzzle pieces. It's his job to put them together and get them to play well. So far he has not done that. Lets hope they improve but I am definitely skeptical
He didn't recruit everyone. He was forced to look elsewhere because we lacked depth on the roster due to people leaving early. But I am talking more so about the in game stuff. My only complaint with JB is that he doesn't have an offensive mind and he doesn't run any plays besides a double high ball screen. If you ask any great coach, they will tell you that they get too much credit for how their team plays. The players decide the game on the court.

That's all fair. It's tough - we go up 21 and it seems ideal to get Gillon some run and Thompson. I was surprised it didn't come sooner as we seemed to be rolling over them (which is what we should do). However, everything kind of broke down. Not sure how much to criticize JB, other than to say, that move was his and it seemed to be the impetus for the comeback. I'm not sure I do much differently, other than I would have pulled Gillon back out sooner. It happens.

Hey, we got some practice finishing a close game!
If I am JB, I probably do the exact same thing. John is a 5th year senior, you should have reasonable grounds to expect he can come in and maintain flow against an undermanned North Florida team. I agree, he should have pulled John sooner, but that's about the extent of it.

So whose decision was it to leave Gillon at PG while the lead melted away, Hopkins?
Right, so the 20 point swing was all on John? Not sure if you've noticed, but the top of the zone hasn't been great no matter whose been out there. The whole team played rather poorly today, and I actually think JB made some great changes today to the lineup.

Right, so the 20 point swing was all on John? Not sure if you've noticed, but the top of the zone hasn't been great no matter whose been out there. The whole team played rather poorly today, and I actually think JB made some great changes today to the lineup.

Eh, JB seemed to chalk a lot of it up to that in the post game...said it was disappointing to put them in and see the next 12 points all go to the other team. I mean, not all on John obviously, as I think for a more limited PG it's probably all the more difficult to play when you come in with two other subs, but we did stall out then.

Eh, JB seemed to chalk a lot of it up to that in the post game...said it was disappointing to put them in and see the next 12 points all go to the other team. I mean, not all on John obviously, as I think for a more limited PG it's probably all the more difficult to play when you come in with two other subs, but we did stall out then.
Put John in with the starters and the lead probably doesn't dwindle. You put him in with Thompson and Roberson and our offense will stall every time. And don't get me wrong, I think Thompson will be very good here. Still, the lineup is good enough to maintain a lead vs. North Florida.

Every year it's the same bullsh&%. You all complain that he tries to win all the early games at the expense of developing depth and when he plays people that gets them valuable time, but risks losing an early game, you complain, too. News flash...we picked up a W and guys got meaningful minutes. Sorry you weren't sufficiently entertained by the margin of victory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom