This game was a lot closer… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This game was a lot closer…

A 17 pt loss. And we find the positive? Let's go back 10 years and find me a single post like this. I understand that we need to give this team time. New coach. But guys we got beat by 17 to a team that lost two key players to injuries during the game.

If the Gonzaga line is +15 like Kenpom makes it I am hammering Syracuse.

We can run with them and they aren't containing our guards like Tennessee did. We just played the best defense in the sport by a mile.

A 17 pt loss. And we find the positive? Let's go back 10 years and find me a single post like this. I understand that we need to give this team time. New coach. But guys we got beat by 17 to a team that lost two key players to injuries during the game.
You’re insufferable. If this was a Boeheim coached team from the last 5-10 years it’s a 17 point deficit at the break and we lose by 30.

You’re insufferable. If this was a Boeheim coached team from the last 5-10 years it’s a 17 point deficit at the break and we lose by 30.
That’s a brutal game for people who took the points on us let’s be honest. I don’t think Hawaii has sports betting so I couldn’t throw down on it to be closer than expected.

Had a chance to win until 5 min mark. Better team first half. Hopefully Gonzaga D isn’t like that because they contested every shot we had to get some seriously tough buckets.

LOL I'm insufferable? That is a hoot coming from you today. My first sentence as almost word for word on what you wrote to another poster. And 10 years ago, we went to the final four. Not to mention I don't care about JB. His last years were a disaster. I just don't have to try and find positives in a 17 pt loss.

After watching Purdue and Gonzaga, we’re not beating either of these teams. They are quicker and monumentally better than us offensively. Purdue is better when Edey is not in the game.

Purdue is better when Edey is not in the game?! The guy goes for 25 & 14 (5 offensive) with 3 blocks. He literally pulled down 2 more offensive rebounds than our ENTIRE team today. This observation reeks of jealousy. He's the best player in cbb and you talk like he should be on the bench.

Not to mention all the returners we had this year. They’re still young, but they know each other. Q1 opportunities don’t grow on trees, lack of capitalizing on these exact types of games has kept us out of the tourney in the last few years

Bottom line. It was a 5 point game with under 3 minutes left. We have new guys finding their way and trying to fit in and a brand new coach that has never been a head coach before. In addition, it’s not like JB allowed his assistants do anything on game days. This is all brand new. Part of the reason I did not want Autry as coach. But he is the guy, and it’s going to take time. Hasn’t been a great 4 games but it’s been better than what we have seen the past couple years.

Lot of people are looking foolish for saying that this team was better without Edwards and we didn’t need him though. Always thought that was laughable. We now have no interior presence. Meanwhile, Edwards is averaging 14 and 10. He’s a massive loss for us.

Will be interesting to see how Tennessee does this year. In my opinion, they did not look like a Top 10 team. Solid, not top echelon.

Amen. Great effort today against a superior opponent by a team and a staff still trying to figure things out. Today's loss qualifies as progress for a program rising from the ashes of recent irrelevance.
Losing by 17 isn’t a rise from the ashes, wins will do that, wins against good teams and a solid ACC record.

The challenge here is figuring out if this new regime is "different" or "better"

It's clearly different with a deeper lineup, and getting (mostly) away from the zone. Jury is still out on the other question. Tennessee was the better team, but there were stretches where we were hanging tough. Mix of some good moments and awful turnovers/bonehead plays .

Our ceiling this year is likely eking out a winning ACC record, a non-sweaty selection Sunday, and maybe a little run in March. That's still better than the final 2-3 years under JB. That will help continue recruiting momentum and guess that is progress...

Losing by 17 isn’t a rise from the ashes, wins will do that, wins against good teams and a solid ACC record.
Didn't say it was a "rise from the ashes." I said the loss today qualifies as progress for a team rising from the ashes. I stand by that. Being a new team with a new coach, they played competitively against the #7 team in the country. Was it a great showing? No. But there were positives to build on. There was progress made.

Has our stock fallen this much? We lose by more than 15 and we talk about how it was closer than the actual score?
It was a 5-point game with 2 mins left against the #7 team in the country and we were picked to finish 10th in the acc. So, yeah, our stock has fallen. It happens. And yes, the game was absolutely much older than the final score reflects. Those are both completely true statements.

Has our stock fallen this much? We lose by more than 15 and we talk about how it was closer than the actual score?
Yes. We've been garbage the last 3 years. Crushed by Colgate, Gtown, and run off the floor by too many to remember. We have sucked.
Today's first half is the best we have played against a good team in a very long time. We've got a very long ways to go but this team gave a great team all they could handle until the very end. If Judah had been on we might have won.

I was encouraged by the defense. It was more credible and had more energy than we have seen in the previous games. The offense was exactly what it has been: a non existent scheme, guys trying to make unassisted and-1 mix tape moves or flat footed and contested jumpers. That is the JB 2017+ offense. More than anything I was hoping our coaching change would result in better recruiting and at least a high school level offense. Recruiting? Check. The offense? Still early but indications not positive so far.
Watch the game again. We moved the ball. Cut. Screened. We made too many errors and Judah and Starling didn't finish well.
I thought with the exception of at the end of the first half Reds substituted well.
Everyone is and will continue to find their way. Check in late January.

Simply put, yes. They have fallen that much.

This team has been awful for 4 seasons with the exception of sneaking into the tournament in 2021.

Anyone expecting this Cuse team with a new coach to be going toe to toe with a much older top 10 team on a neutral floor in November isn’t being realistic.

If this team is struggling and getting their asses kicked in January I’m all for the doom and gloom. But right now, it’s just game 4.

Probably could have used Girard and Edwards for this game. We don’t have any real leaders on this team and that’s a problem. If Boeheim loses by 17 everyone is on panic mode on this board. We probably should have used more Zone D. I just hate that we are in this tournament we aren’t even close to being ready for any of these teams

Bottom line is an "L" is an L. Doesn't matter if by 1 or 31. Everyone knew coming in to the tournament this was the way it was going to be. If anything everyone should be pleased with today's game. I am more pissed they didn't cover the spread than the fact they lost. The guys held the game close despite Taylor having a horrible offensive game and our guards getting pushed around so much that they couldn't finish at the basket. And who doesn't laugh at Brown trying a 3? Gotta give the guy credit for trying, but a lot of wasted possessions. Red has a lot of film to show each one how they can improve. Defensively they looked the best they have all year. Still a ways to go but Red had the guys playing hard and showed he is a coach. No real bad in game decisions. If we don't miss our free throws we are actually up 90% of the game. The pressure would have been on Tennessee to make something happen. But we didn't, the refs made me think Tennessee is going to end up being national champions, and the last three minutes showed them why basketball is a team ball, not iso hero ball.

Kansas shares the ball better than any team I’ve seen. They are extremely unselfish. SU needs a playmaking point guard who knows how to run a team. Our guards are both trying to score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom