This Game Was An Absolute Disgrace | Syracusefan.com

This Game Was An Absolute Disgrace

Jersey Orange

Legend
Doug Marrone should be embarrased. Just completely outcoached by Paul Pasqualoni and George DeLeone all day despite UConn handing us 5 first half turnovers.

The offensive staff wasted the entire first quarter offensively with conservative, stubborn run-the-ball-at-all costs play-calling. Really starting to get concerned that Marrone's ceiling will be as a consistent 7-win-per-year coach. Think it is time for him to step away from the offense and hand the reigns to an OC who has experience calling plays at the college level.

Thank you. I have been saying that since the spring game. While he is at it lets hire a special teams coach as well. In my opinion specials cost us the game today

agreed -- i also feel their is a severe lack of leadership in the locker room and amongst upperclassmen

I couldn't have said it better. The first half was disgraceful.

Doug Marrone should be embarrased. Just completely outcoached by Paul Pasqualoni and George DeLeone all day despite UConn handing us 5 first half turnovers.

The offensive staff wasted the entire first quarter offensively with conservative, stubborn run-the-ball-at-all costs play-calling. Really starting to get concerned that Marrone's ceiling will be as a consistent 7-win-per-year coach. Think it is time for him to step away from the offense and hand the reigns to an OC who has experience calling plays at the college level.

Can you address the defense please? Thanks. I respect you but putting this on the offense is just so, so easy. I expect better from you JO

Thank you. I have been saying that since the spring game. While he is at it lets hire a special teams coach as well. In my opinion specials cost us the game today

Agreed. Special teams were pathetic. Reallly starting to look like Marrone the head coaching candidate is nowhere near as good as Marrone the head coach.

Read the
Can you address the defense please? Thanks. I respect you but putting this on the offense is just so, so easy. I expect better from you JO

Reread my post - "we were outcoached by GEORGE DELEONE" - do you not think that addresses the defense? Good lord.

And to be clear - the run defense was horrific - but I'll give the defense some credit for coming up with 5 first half turnovers.

Marinovich should be a leader
Phillip Thomas should be a leader
Bailey should be a leader
Jones should be a leader

I just do not see it from those guys -- Thomas tries, but he makes too many mental mistakes; the others do not show it on the sidelines

I said elsewhere, but I think their is a distrust between players and coaches right now. There is no faith in each other

This reminded me of what we had the last couple of years under P&D. So we've come full circle.

Read the

Reread my post - "we were outcoached by GEORGE DELEONE" - do you not think that addresses the defense? Good lord.
I am far from ready to give up on Marrone, but I find it hard to argue with your assessment of today's game. We looked totally unprepared for the running qb, which is completely unacceptable given that he had been getting snaps and CT fans had been calling for him for weeks. On O...ehhh...I sort of agree but thought we did adjust pretty effectively if a little late. The special teams speak for themselves.

Read the

Shouldn't Shafer be your primary target then? Do you think Marrone has anything to do with defensive play calling?

I am far from ready to give up on Marrone, but I find it hard to argue with your assessment of today's game. We looked totally unprepared for the running qb, which is completely unacceptable given that he had been getting snaps and CT fans had been calling for him for weeks. On O...ehhh...I sort of agree but thought we did adjust pretty effectively if a little late. The special teams speak for themselves.

I don't think anyone should give up on Doug Marrone. But I find it hard to beleive that any objective observer could not be concerned at this point. The staff shouldn't have had to adjust in the second half on offense by throwing on first down because everyone on this board and every UCONN fan knew that UCONN was going to focus all efforts on stopping the run on first down from the first play of the game. Instead - we come out and go run-run-pass-punt on multiple possessions in the first half.

And BTW - can we run Ameen-Moore somewhere other than through the A-Gap?

Shouldn't Shafer be your primary target then? Do you think Marrone has anything to do with defensive play calling?

They are all my target. Shafer stunk today but the defense did come up with five turnovers. But I give Shafer a little more leeway because he has proven that he can be a play-caller for a top-2o ranked defensive unit.

speaking of moore, other teams know right away what we are going to run the moment he steps in to a game.

Take off your orange colored blinders Cuseman. Anybody who isn't concerned about the state of the program doesn't know or understand football.

And BTW - can we run Ameen-Moore somewhere other than through the A-Gap?

Amen, I'd love to see smith & a-m on a stretch or toss sweep - something that improves the odds they'll be met by a LB or safety. They're consistently getting hit by the DL on inside runs.

Amen, I'd love to see smith & a-m on a stretch or toss sweep - something that improves the odds they'll be met by a LB or safety. They're consistently getting hit by the DL on inside runs.

Everytime he is in you can see the defense creeping up to the A-gap pre-snap. How can it be that SU never checks out of that play and at least goes off-tackle?

I have said this in the past and will say it again here. Doug doesnt show a quick mind on game days. Worse he shows no passion as a leader. If Doug were in the corporate world he would make a great CFO but not a great CEO. His lack of passion and the ability to motivate his team on game days is something that cant be taught as it just isnt in the chip with him. As to in game adjustments it is a combination of being very stubborn and not that quick on his feet. Im afraid we may get blown out in our last three games.

JO, we lost that game on Special Teams, and to be fair, that is on Marrone, especially when it is his choice not to hire a ST Coach.
I have never seen an SU team get so dominated on ST in a single game.

Let's see, there were 9 kickoffs and 6 punts.
We were "beaten" on 14 of 15 plays on special teams. Twice, we had long scoring drives in the 3rd quarter. True feel-good drives. "Yea, we regained control of this game," I said to myself.

Then, almost instantly, the kickoff gave a running UConn team the ball at/near midfield. momentum halted! Ugh.

Fisher, the punter (from near Rochester, my hometown), should be punting for St. John Fisher (a DIII school). The kid is much more likely to tally a 20-yard punt than even a mundane 40-yard kick. Yes, I know he is a true frosh.

As for the offense, they were handed 5 first-half turnovers. But, I think they likely averaged getting the ball back at our own 25- or 30-yard line. The one exception was the funble near midfield with 90 seconds left in the first half and we went 3 and out. Bummer.

JO, we lost that game on Special Teams, and to be fair, that is on Marrone, especially when it is his choice not to hire a ST Coach.

We were "beaten" on 14 of 15 plays on special teams. Twice, we had long scoring drives in the 3rd quarter. True feel-good drives. "Yea, we regained control of this game," I said to myself.

Then, almost instantly, the kickoff gave a running UConn team the ball at/near midfield. momentum halted! Ugh.

Fisher, the punter (from near Rochester, my hometown), should be punting for St. John Fisher (a DIII school). The kid is much more likely to tally a 20-yard punt than even a mundane 40-yard kick. Yes, I know he is a true frosh.

As for the offense, they were handed 5 first-half turnovers. But, I think they likely averaged getting the ball back at our own 25- or 30-yard line. The one exception was the funble near midfield with 90 seconds left in the first half and we went 3 and out. Bummer.

Can't really disagree with any thing here. Special teams were a huge factor in this game. IMO - the offense (especially in the first half) and the defense were not far behind. Let's not forget this is a terrible 3-5 UCONN team.

I was asking for an onside kick in the game thread. If Lichy & Raupers have performed so bad in practice to not even warrant a chance in a game like today (i.e. Kraut injured & Fishy stinking) then they shouldn't have schollies. My apologies if they are in fact walk-ons.

Take off your orange colored blinders Cuseman. Anybody who isn't concerned about the state of the program doesn't know or understand football.

Concerned about the state of the program? Were you concerned 2 short weeks ago? I don't change my opinion of the state of a program based upon short term volatility. I'm no day trader. I'm an investor. By the way, will you be attending the bowl game this year?

Try for a second to find an ounce of perspective. I know its disappointing that we aren't going to win every game this year. P&D were out there trying to win too. That's what competition and athletics is all about. By the way, WE WERE UNDERDOGS. What was your preseason W-L prediction by the way?

I was asking for an onside kick in the game thread. If Lichy & Raupers have performed so bad in practice to not even warrant a chance in a game like today (i.e. Kraut injured & Fishy stinking) then they shouldn't have schollies. My apologies if they are in fact walk-ons.

That would not have been a bad thought on a day like today