This Game Was An Absolute Disgrace | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This Game Was An Absolute Disgrace

JO, we lost that game on Special Teams, and to be fair, that is on Marrone, especially when it is his choice not to hire a ST Coach.
I have never seen an SU team get so dominated on ST in a single game.

Fisher, the punter (from near Rochester, my hometown), should be punting for St. John Fisher (a DIII school). The kid is much more likely to tally a 20-yard punt than even a mundane 40-yard kick. Yes, I know he is a true frosh.

As for the offense, they were handed 5 first-half turnovers. But, I think they likely averaged getting the ball back at our own 25- or 30-yard line. The one exception was the funble near midfield with 90 seconds left in the first half and we went 3 and out. Bummer.

I'm assuming he was told to kick those 3 or so punts in a row out of bounds (of which he's not very good at), but obviously disappointing that he didn't get them a little further down the field out of bounds but I wouldn't give him all the blame on those just partial.

As posters have mentioned previously he does appear to be really rushing his punts even though he has more time and that's when a lot of the real bad shanks seem to be coming.

I have said this in the past and will say it again here. Doug doesnt show a quick mind on game days. Worse he shows no passion as a leader. If Doug were in the corporate world he would make a great CFO but not a great CEO. His lack of passion and the ability to motivate his team on game days is something that cant be taught as it just isnt in the chip with him. As to in game adjustments it is a combination of being very stubborn and not that quick on his feet. Im afraid we may get blown out in our last three games.

GRob was a passionate leader. Would you like to have him back?

Bill Belichick never cracks a smile on the sideline ... you must think he's a horrible coach.

Doug Marrone should be embarrased. Just completely outcoached by Paul Pasqualoni and George DeLeone all day despite UConn handing us 5 first half turnovers.

The offensive staff wasted the entire first quarter offensively with conservative, stubborn run-the-ball-at-all costs play-calling. Really starting to get concerned that Marrone's ceiling will be as a consistent 7-win-per-year coach. Think it is time for him to step away from the offense and hand the reigns to an OC who has experience calling plays at the college level.

There are a lot of red flags. I have always believed that in year three of a HC's tenure you will be able to see the future. By then you will see what type of young talent he can bring in. By then you will see what type of systems he will have. By then you will see what type of HC he will be. And what I see this year is a HC who will get from 6-8 Ws a year. That will keep him here a long time. But IMO I want a HC would can get us 6-10 Ws a year. Unless he makes a lot of changes on the staff (new OC, new DC, new recruiting coordinator), I cannot see us getting to where IMO we belong.

Concerned about the state of the program? Were you concerned 2 short weeks ago? I don't change my opinion of the state of a program based upon short term volatility. I'm no day trader. I'm an investor. By the way, will you be attending the bowl game this year?

Try for a second to find an ounce of perspective. I know its disappointing that we aren't going to win every game this year. P&D were out there trying to win too. That's what competition and athletics is all about. By the way, WE WERE UNDERDOGS. What was your preseason W-L prediction by the way?

The fact we were underdogs to that team is depressing and tells me all I need to know. I've been saying all along that I'm not yet sold on Doug or his staff. The WVU game was great, but it certainly didn't convince me that we turned some corner or anything. I hope you don't have too much invested, but since the stock is so low I would advise you to hold on to it. I hope I end up being wrong, but I haven't seen anything that points that way. I know it's a process, but the ceiling of this team isn't all that high and that doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon. How's that for perspective champ?

Doug Marrone should be embarrased. Just completely outcoached by Paul Pasqualoni and George DeLeone all day despite UConn handing us 5 first half turnovers.

The offensive staff wasted the entire first quarter offensively with conservative, stubborn run-the-ball-at-all costs play-calling. Really starting to get concerned that Marrone's ceiling will be as a consistent 7-win-per-year coach. Think it is time for him to step away from the offense and hand the reigns to an OC who has experience calling plays at the college level.
No longer sure we are headed in the right direction. Offense is a mess; play calling is amateurish; no defensive adjustments by Shaefer; special teams a mess. I hope a lot of recruits don't jump ship seeing the debacles the last 2 weeks.

One other thought ...

Even on the Nassib "INT drive" with about 10 minutes left, we began the drive atour 10 yard line. We got 3-4 first downs and drove about 60 yards (we were one first down from FG range).

Yep, Nassib wishes he had that throw back. Ya, Lemon (great game!) should have come back to the ball.

But the point is, we were put in a 90-yard hole by Special Teams (clip on #18 Diabiate).

My underlying point is, in the 2nd half...

UConn would drive 50-55 yards and score a TD.

We had to drive 70-90 yards to score a TD. And when we did drive 50-55 yards (like UConn), WE WERE NOT EVEN YET IN FG range.
We were f*cked by our Special Teams today. A shame. And something that I bet Marrone will address by getting a full-time Special Teams Coach in the off-season.

Maybe he takes it upon himself, a la Beamer? Just a thought.

The fact we were underdogs to that **** team is depressing and tells me all I need to know. I've been saying all along that I'm not yet sold on Doug or his staff. The WVU game was great, but it certainly didn't convince me that we turned some corner or anything. I hope you don't have too much invested, but since the stock is so low I would advise you to hold on to it. I hope I end up being wrong, but I haven't seen anything that points that way. I know it's a process, but the ceiling of this team isn't all that high and that doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon. How's that for perspective champ?

Nice, you brought out the always dramatic "champ" to end the post. How original. I've seen enough of your material to know you don't have any perspective at all. How many wins did you expect this year?

5 or 6. The same I expect for the next few years. Oh I have perspective and I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong. Our roster is so devoid of playmakers or creativity within the staff that I'm pretty certain I won't have to.

5 or 6. The same I expect for the next few years. Oh I have perspective and I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong. Our roster is so devoid of playmakers or creativity within the staff that I'm pretty certain I won't have to.

Did you expect 8 wins last year? I'm guessing you assumed 5 or 6. Coaches don't get brownie points for going +2 or 3 over your expectations

Fisher:
Hey, I hope the kid turns it around. I just have doubts.
I mean, UConn did not get near the kicker today. Maybe once. But they were playing for returns all day long.

Did you expect 8 wins last year? I'm guessing you assumed 5 or 6. Coaches don't get brownie points for going +2 or 3 over your expectations

To each his own friend. That said, I just can't comprehend how any knowledgeable football fan isn't concerned about the overall state of the program. Getting to back to back bowl games would be a really good accomplishment for this bunch, but don't let the fact we play in the dismal Big East cloud your judgement. Marrone hasn't proven to be a really good recruiter up to this point, our special teams get worse by the game, our play calling is as vanilla as you can get and so on. The level of competition is about to jump up considerably, Being mediocre in the Big East will probably equal being a bottom feeder in the ACC. Again, I hope I'm proven wrong.

To each his own friend. That said, I just can't comprehend how any knowledgeable football fan isn't concerned about the overall state of the program. Getting to back to back bowl games would be a really good accomplishment for this bunch, but don't let the fact we play in the dismal Big East cloud your judgement. Marrone hasn't proven to be a really good recruiter up to this point, our special teams get worse by the game, our play calling is as vanilla as you can get and so on. The level of competition is about to jump up considerably, Being mediocre in the Big East will probably equal being a bottom feeder in the ACC. Again, I hope I'm proven wrong.

So you don't give him credit for last year -- I see. That's all I needed to know. Thanks

For the record, I agree that recruiting is TBD. Certainly the biggest concern I have with Marrone is recruiting. I haven't completely written him off but I have my concerns (specifically on the offensive side of the ball)

JO - thank you as if nothing else, people out here will read what you have to say and not jump on you for being negative. I hope people understand that a "respected" poster (meant positively) is seeing how bad things are now.

Marrone is terrible - he has been outcoached almost every week this year, including wins. The WVU win looks less impressive every week. GROB is almost 3 years removed so that excuse is weak. The talent is better - at least faster - but the football skills (half the defensive guys still do nothing more than try to knock people over with any use of their arms - and the OL.....) and IQ that are the responsiblity of the coaches are weak.

This team sucks and will be the worst team in the ACC by a wide margin no matter how badly Edsall destroys Maryland.

I'm trying to find where you are wrong but there just isn't a spot. We have played two teams back to back that we need to have beaten... Not so much should have beaten cause we all know that is not a reality with this program anymore. On both occasions the scouting reports drawn up by people as far fetched as the media have come true. Its understandable if that happens once, but on back to back weeks means the coaches are not working effectively to figure out alternatives. Even high risk options would be better then boring conservative play that we all know wont work. Both teams ran it right down our throats, despite the fact that we knew all week that would be their gameplan. We have kids who are continually making costly errors that seemingly always burn us, and our inability to score has now lost us three games against teams we regularly recruit against in their down year. You cannot lose these games...

So you don't give him credit for last year -- I see. That's all I needed to know. Thanks

Huh? I'm sorry I don't worship the dude. We had a nice season last year, but I think you overhype it just a bit. 2 of our wins were against d2 teams, and we lost home games against Lville, Uconn, and BC--all mediocre at best football teams. I'll give him credit for getting us to a bowl game but you're definitely reaching.

Sorry, but I don't see him being a dynamic enough coach/recruiter to lift us from mediocrity. If you're content with 5-7 wins a year, then congrats I think you found your guy.

Bill Belichick never cracks a smile on the sideline ... you must think he's a horrible coach.

Agree of all the things people complain about this is the dumbest

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Oh, i get it. Every coach is either G Rob or Bill Belichick.

I don't think anyone should give up on Doug Marrone. But I find it hard to beleive that any objective observer could not be concerned at this point. The staff shouldn't have had to adjust in the second half on offense by throwing on first down because everyone on this board and every UCONN fan knew that UCONN was going to focus all efforts on stopping the run on first down from the first play of the game. Instead - we come out and go run-run-pass-punt on multiple possessions in the first half.

And BTW - can we run Ameen-Moore somewhere other than through the A-Gap?

We threw the ball plenty on first down today. What in the hell are you talking about? Aren't you supposed to be the guru on this board? SPECIAL TEAMS! A two-year old could see the weakest area of this team.Field position was theirs all day because of the abolute garbage we throw out there. The misswed fg was huge anf If Krautman is injured and can't kick,then get him the hell out. Fisher stinks.Perfect opportunity to finally pin them deep with a punt around midfield and he shanks a twenty yarder out of bounds on the 30. I've had it with him. I won't get into kick coverage because I don't need to.

PLAY CALLING?? It was the least of any problem out there today.

JO - thank you as if nothing else, people out here will read what you have to say and not jump on you for being negative. I hope people understand that a "respected" poster (meant positively) is seeing how bad things are now.

Marrone is terrible - he has been outcoached almost every week this year, including wins. The WVU win looks less impressive every week. GROB is almost 3 years removed so that excuse is weak. The talent is better - at least faster - but the football skills (half the defensive guys still do nothing more than try to knock people over with any use of their arms - and the OL.....) and IQ that are the responsiblity of the coaches are weak.

This team sucks and will be the worst team in the ACC by a wide margin no matter how badly Edsall destroys Maryland.

Wait, wait, wait... You mean the football skills and IQ that are the responsibility of the coaches are weak? Which players? You mean the freshman and sophomores that Marrone has had to play?

You say Syracuse is 3 years removed from GROB so that excuse is weak. When Syracuse is 5 years removed, it is weak. The earliest Marrone recruits (who he had half a recruiting cycle to get) are juniors. These guys are going to make mistakes.

Defensively, Syracuse plays:
DE - Chandler and Marinovich - Pretty sure everyone agrees Chandler is strong and Marinovich is a body.
DT - Goggins and Bromley - 2 2nd year players
LB - Davis, Spruill, Vaughn - All 1st year starters at their positions
CB - Anderson, Lyn - 1st year starters
S - Thomas and Thomas - 3rd year players.

There are going to be missed tackles.

Huh? I'm sorry I don't worship the dude. We had a nice season last year, but I think you overhype it just a bit. 2 of our wins were against d2 teams, and we lost home games against Lville, Uconn, and BC--all mediocre at best football teams. I'll give him credit for getting us to a bowl game but you're definitely reaching.

Sorry, but I don't see him being a dynamic enough coach/recruiter to lift us from mediocrity. If you're content with 5-7 wins a year, then congrats I think you found your guy.

He lifted us to mediocrity.

The worst thing Marrone ever did was get to a bowl game in year 2. Expectations are really a bit out of control, IMO.

I really think the HC recruiter angle gets played way too much. The position coaches have the biggest say on whether a recruit comes here or not. Unless your a truly elite coach, which Syracuse isn't going to get.

I'm trying to find where you are wrong but there just isn't a spot. We have played two teams back to back that we need to have beaten... Not so much should have beaten cause we all know that is not a reality with this program anymore. On both occasions the scouting reports drawn up by people as far fetched as the media have come true. Its understandable if that happens once, but on back to back weeks means the coaches are not working effectively to figure out alternatives. Even high risk options would be better then boring conservative play that we all know wont work. Both teams ran it right down our throats, despite the fact that we knew all week that would be their gameplan. We have kids who are continually making costly errors that seemingly always burn us, and our inability to score has now lost us three games against teams we regularly recruit against in their down year. You cannot lose these games...

Agreed...and what I find the most frustrating. All of this reminds of the famous quote, "problems can not be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."

Can you address the defense please? Thanks. I respect you but putting this on the offense is just so, so easy. I expect better from you JO
just because it's easy doesn't mean it's wrong

21 doesn't win you many games

We threw the ball plenty on first down today. What in the hell are you talking about? Aren't you supposed to be the guru on this board? SPECIAL TEAMS! A two-year old could see the weakest area of this team.Field position was theirs all day because of the abolute garbage we throw out there. The misswed fg was huge anf If Krautman is injured and can't kick,then get him the hell out. Fisher stinks.Perfect opportunity to finally pin them deep with a punt around midfield and he shanks a twenty yarder out of bounds on the 30. I've had it with him. I won't get into kick coverage because I don't need to.

PLAY CALLING?? It was the least of any problem out there today.

This is a really bad post. The offense rang up 7 points and 120 yards in the first half (despite 5 UCONN turnovers) and ran on most of the 1st and second down plays in the first half. Conservative crap. In the second half Syracuse threw the ball more and managed 24o yards and 14 points. It never should have taken that long to make the adjustment. Keep in mind that this is a UCONN team that gave up 38 points to Western Michigan.

And no *&^$ special teams was a huge problem. I only mentioned that about 5 times in the thread.

just because it's easy doesn't mean it's wrong

21 doesn't win you many games

Well, it was fricken Uconn for God's sake...with a walk on quarterback and a freshman QB...21 points should have been more than enough to beat this DOG of a team!

This is a really bad post. The offense rang up 7 points and 120 yards in the first half (despite 5 UCONN turnovers) and ran on most of the 1st and second down plays in the first half. Conservative crap. In the second half Syracuse threw the ball more and managed 24o yards and 14 points. It never should have taken that long to make the adjustment. Keep in mind that this is a UCONN team that gave up 38 points to Western Michigan.

And no *&^$ special teams was a huge problem. I only mentioned that about 5 times in the thread.

I'm aware of the facts of the game. You and me can disagree forever on how we arrived at the facts. Hackett does a lot of different things on 1st and 2nd down. All you know is whether or not it works. If it doesn't work, it's conservative-if it does,it's genious. Play-calling is thee most overrated,overused fan excuse for shotty play in the world and it always will be.