This has been a tough week for syracusefan.com | Syracusefan.com

This has been a tough week for syracusefan.com

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
It all started with the maintenance on Saturday. Then the IS news followed by so many sky is falling posts. We get it. Hop is cleaning JAB's pocket. Good for him but I never realized how many people want JAB to step down. People-you might not like the results under the next regime.

I really hope we win Thursday. Otherwise the entire board will need a two day maintenance timeout.

Last edited:
It all started with the maintenance on Saturday. Then the IS news followed by so many sky is falling posts. We get it. Hop is cleaning's pocket. Good for him but I never realized how many people want JAB to step down. People-you might not like the results under the next regime.

I really hope we win Thursday. Otherwise the entire board will need a two day maintenance timeout.

Hop is cleaning pocket?

He got 1 transfer and 1 big time recruit both of whom he had a relationship with since they were freshmen in high school and 1 lived an hour away. he will no longer have a relationship with a kid for so long from our backyard. it is what it is but it was a 1 time deal.

Hop is cleaning pocket?

He got 1 transfer and 1 big time recruit both of whom he had a relationship with since they were freshmen in high school and 1 lived an hour away. he will no longer have a relationship with a kid for so long from our backyard. it is what it is but it was a 1 time deal.
According to some people he is. Three guys from upstate NY. We were recruiting Wright and then he reclassified and went to UW after Hop got hired.

According to some people he is. Three guys from upstate NY. We were recruiting Wright and then he reclassified and went to UW after Hop got hired.

ok still - 3 guys HOP was recruiting. As far as I know, he wasnt hanging out at Crouse or Strong hospital in delivery rooms. The previous relationships will end.

ok still - 3 guys HOP was recruiting. As far as I know, he wasnt hanging out at Crouse or Strong hospital in delivery rooms. The previous relationships will end.
I wholeheartedly agree.

He got a kid from Maryland [6-9 kid, name escapes me] that we wanted for the class of 2018. Then he got Hamier Wright [meh, but someone we were at least token recruiting]. Greene is frustrating given past history, but when he put out feelers here we told him we weren't interested. Stewart we really wanted.

So, there are four players that we overlapped with Hop / UW. They got all four.

***Please note, this is not a sky-is-falling post, nor an indictment of our recruiting. Just listing the relevant players.

It all started with the maintenance on Saturday. Then the IS news followed by so many sky is falling posts. We get it. Hop is cleaning JAB's pocket. Good for him but I never realized how many people want JAB to step down. People-you might not like the results under the next regime.

The vast majority of us are grown adults, and this place turns us into 13yr olds on facebook lol

Put me in the club of not particularly caring that we lost IS. First off I hate recruiting system. It's as spotty, or worse then drafting. He may be great, he may not.

Some people get hyped because they are dominating high schoolers, and the experts assume it will translate over to college.

People-you might not like the results under the next regime.
That is always a possibility, nobody has ever said otherwise. Are you saying that because Gerg was a failure we never should've moved on from P?

All I'm going to say is if we're riding bubbles for the remainder of JB's tenure it makes the next hire's job that much harder.

All I'm going to say is if we're riding bubbles for the remainder of JB's tenure it makes the next hire's job that much harder.
Maybe the 1st year but after that it's up to the new coach. As long as we have the ACC and the Dome, we have two big recruiting chips in play.

That is always a possibility, nobody has ever said otherwise. Are you saying that because Gerg was a failure we never should've moved on from P?

Re: P's firing--the timing was a complete failure. Should have waited another year so that a decent search could have been done. OR P should have been released a couple of years earlier (which urban legend says Crouthamel wanted to do).

Timing is everything.

Maybe the 1st year but after that it's up to the new coach. As long as we have the ACC and the Dome, we have two big recruiting chips in play.
These winters are long enough. It would be nice to have the next HC be able to step right in and not miss a beat. We are allowed to ask for nice things, aren't we?

Hopkins had a relationship with these kids when he was here. Now that he has left I doubt he is going to spend a lot of time recruiting on the East Coast. There will be plenty of west coast kids dying to play for a winner.

He got a kid from Maryland [6-9 kid, name escapes me] that we wanted for the class of 2018. Then he got Hamier Wright [meh, but someone we were at least token recruiting]. Greene is frustrating given past history, but when he put out feelers here we told him we weren't interested. Stewart we really wanted.

So, there are four players that we overlapped with Hop / UW. They got all four.

***Please note, this is not a sky-is-falling post, nor an indictment of our recruiting. Just listing the relevant players.

Nate Roberts. No stats this season. RS?

Once Hameir Wright reclassed, we passed.
Didn't need another last year, with OSB AND Marek AND Hughes sitting out AND Sidibe.
He's been averaging 3 & 3 in 18 minutes/game this year, a slight uptick from his Frosh season.

Plan Z? Whatever - we clearly didn't want or need him after he took the bag to go to UK.
Guard is pretty stacked now.

Zay is the only one of these 4 that really stings.

It should also be the last one, since Hop hasn't been around the East coast schmoozing the future batches of recruits like he had been prior.

Put me in the club of not particularly caring that we lost IS. First off I hate recruiting system. It's as spotty, or worse then drafting. He may be great, he may not.

Some people get hyped because they are dominating high schoolers, and the experts assume it will translate over to college.

I understand what you're saying. But I'd prefer we recruit the guys dominating highschoolers rather than the guys not dominating highschoolers. Because if you can't manhandle competition at that level, you're not making an impact at Syracuse. So give me guys like Stewart, all day, every day.

Last edited:
Nate Roberts. No stats this season. RS?

Once Hameir Wright reclassed, we passed.
Didn't need another last year, with OSB AND Marek AND Hughes sitting out AND Sidibe.
He's been averaging 3 & 3 in 18 minutes/game this year, a slight uptick from his Frosh season.

Plan Z? Whatever - we clearly didn't want or need him after he took the bag to go to UK.
Guard is pretty stacked now.

Zay is the only one of these 4 that really stings.

It should also be the last one, since Hop hasn't been around the East coast schmoozing the future batches of recruits like he had been prior.

I don't disagree with any of that -- was just listing out the times we've both been recruiting the same players. I don't think that Roberts / Wright are a big deal.

I would have liked to see Greene come here, but the coaches told him "no thanks" when he put out feelers mid-semester.

Steward was a loss.

Steward was a loss.
was he, though? in his brief interview, he mentioned msu & duke as recently having been in the lead for him but not syracuse

i, for one, never thought we were going to get him, so i don't consider this a loss

was he, though? in his brief interview, he mentioned msu & duke as recently having been in the lead for him but not syracuse

i, for one, never thought we were going to get him, so i don't consider this a loss

Sure -- because he's an elite player and dominant inside scorer. He would have made next year's team >>>>> better.

That doesn't imply that he was coming here, or where we were in the pecking order. But the coaching staff certainly wanted him here, and he would have been an impact player. Hence, a loss.

Whereas in the context of the post above you were responding to, the other three players UW landed [that we also recruited] don't move the radar.

Yeah, more indicative of the state of our recruiting... the fact that we were listed as a courtesy only...