This is COLLEGE football not PRO football our fanbase really needs to understand | Syracusefan.com

This is COLLEGE football not PRO football our fanbase really needs to understand

Alsacs

Living Legend
I would say 40% of this board is melting down.
We lost a game yesterday we were a 3.5 Point favorite.
My god that isn’t even a WTH loss.
We should have won.
Our weakness is we lost LBs from last year who were really good in Bennett and Franklin.
The LBs this year aren’t as good and with Cordy out we lost a guy who could have played LB as a safety.
Watching Evan Foster it looked to be his he was playing hurt. He most likely has an upper body injury as he wasn’t trying to wrap up any tackles he was looking to flip tackle low every time.

We were underdogs at home to Florida State and we were favorites at Pitt.
We split.
We are exactly were the odds say we should be.
This team is a 7-5/8-4 this year.
If you are worried about bowl eligibility it’s because of the past and not this years performance.
UNC- W
NCSU- 50/50 game
at Wake 50/50 game
Louisville- W
Notre Dame 33/67 game
at BC 40/60 game

Our LBs need to get better. That only happens by playing and film study getting better.
It is what it is. We were never going to be an elite team this year. Dino is upgrading the roster. We have flaws.
Yesterday sucked but wasn’t a mid major team we lost too.
It was a game we showed our flaws in but still could have won.

Enough self loathing. We don’t suck.

We were also playing without Butler and Pierce, two contributing starters (no matter how much people want to look at stats and say ‘no big deal’).

I know it’s football and injuries happen all over. But for SU to be a great team we’re going to need some luck in that department. We’ll almost never be able to go 2nd level or 3rd level and play as well as we want to.

That said there was a real problem in the passing game yesterday with accuracy. I think Dino can put up with some bad D because he knows our pass rush will get us some stops or turnovers, and our offense will keep scoring. That would win us games (in theory). I don’t think Butler and Pierce explain away 20 incompletions, many on safe, easy passes. Has to get fixed. Fast.

I also think we go away from the run game too quickly. That 3rd and 1 where we go empty and have Strickland motion out wide? And Dungey Mahoneys a pass out to him? Head scratcher.

We were also playing without Butler and Pierce, two contributing starters (no matter how much people want to look at stats and say ‘no big deal’).

I know it’s football and injuries happen all over. But for SU to be a great team we’re going to need some luck in that department. We’ll almost never be able to go 2nd level or 3rd level and play as well as we want to.

That said there was a real problem in the passing game yesterday with accuracy. I think Dino can put up with some bad D because he knows our pass rush will get us some stops or turnovers, and our offense will keep scoring. That would win us games (in theory). I don’t think Butler and Pierce explain away 20 incompletions, many on safe, easy passes. Has to get fixed. Fast.

I also think we go away from the run game too quickly. That 3rd and 1 where we go empty and have Strickland motion out wide? And Dungey Mahoneys a pass out to him? Head scratcher.
Dungey wasn’t great yesterday but I was more frustrated by the play calls on offense. Way too many pass plays unless they were RPOs and Dungey then decided to pass. He should have been pulled in the second quarter and brought back in after the half.

I am not happy we lost but I am not going to melt down. This wasn’t a lock game. I thought we were going to win but this isn’t even in my top 10 of bad losses this decade.

We don't know if we suck or not yet. We played eerily similar to how we ended both of the last two seasons. I'm still optimistic that this isn't a repeat of the last two years but nobody knows whether it is or isn't.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with people jumping to the conclusion we might not finish the year making a bowl based on past performance. There's also nothing wrong with arguing all the depth, injuries, etc stuff to make there optimistic speech.

But to say we don't suck yet, we don't really know that. We beat Clemson last year and were still a pretty bad team. We lost to Clemson this year, barely and might be a better team than last year. But we don't know that yet. All the games you listed above were pretty similar to last year. We should have beat WF last year, they were not that good and had more injuries than us (and don't make the excuse for the weather). So we are in a similar same spot as last year IMO. Lots of games that could go either way but last year none of them went our way. We have no idea whether that will be true again or not. Nothing wrong with being a little pessimistic.

No doubt there was a problem with the passing game yesterday.

Dungey is not as effective this year as he was the past two years. His completion % is way down is seems.

I don't know enough about the situation to understand why.

Is he having arm problems? Are the WR running the wrong routes?

I wonder.

Last edited:
We should have won.
Our weakness is we lost LBs from last year who were really good in Bennett and Franklin.
…..
Stepping back, that was an entertaining, very competitive football game against a traditional rival -- an OT game that we could have won by stopping that 4th down play (the generous spot). At a venue we haven't done that well, since 2001.

Pitt had a better OL and its RB duo is much better than anything we have. We will be vulnerable to the run, but we be a bowl team.

Stepping back, that was an entertaining, very competitive football game against a traditional rival -- an OT game that we could have won by stopping that 4th down play (the generous spot). At a venue we haven't done that well, since 2001.

Pitt had a better OL and its RB duo is much better than anything we have. We will be vulnerable to the run, but we be a bowl team.
Don't see how you can be so sure. The only games we have that are favorable are NC (which beat Pitt) and Louisville. And those will take everything this team has. The rest are sure losses.

No doubt there was a problem with the passing game yesterday.

Dungey is not as effective this year as he was for the past two years. His completion % is way down is seems.

I don't know enough about the situation to understand why.

Is he having arm problems? Are the WR running the wrong routes?

I wonder.

I wish I knew the answer too. I'd bet there's a bit of both. Some back shoulder throws where the WR doesn't stop and look.

But he's sidearming more throws than I can ever remember, which seems like a concern to me.

We should have won.
The LBs this year aren’t as good and with Cordy out we lost a guy who could have played LB as a safety.
Watching Evan Foster it looked to be his he was playing hurt. He most likely has an upper body injury as he wasn’t trying to wrap up any tackles he was looking to flip tackle low every time.

We were underdogs at home to Florida State and we were favorites at Pitt.
We split.
We are exactly were the odds say we should be.
This team is a 7-5/8-4 this year.
If you are worried about bowl eligibility it’s because of the past and not this years performance.
UNC- W
NCSU- 50/50 game
at Wake 50/50 game
Louisville- W
Notre Dame 33/67 game
at BC 40/60 game

Our LBs need to get better. That only happens by playing and film study getting better.
It is what it is. We were never going to be an elite team this year. Dino is upgrading the roster. We have flaws.
Yesterday sucked but wasn’t a mid major team we lost too.
It was a game we showed our flaws in but still could have won.

Enough self loathing. We don’t suck.
I wish there was a like X's 100 button. It kills me that our fans never seem to learn to not get too far ahead of themselves, and don't get too low. People were calling for 10 wins after beating 4 bad teams. Now that we've played 1 bad game...let me repeat that...1 bad game, I've read everything on here from, we'll never be back now, to Dino has to go, to Dungey needs to go, to we can't get enough talent here to win. Those takes sound like syracuse.com comment section garbage.
Like it or not, this cake isn't done baking. We still are lacking in spots, and that should be expected in year 3 of trying to turn around a simply awful program. We've made progress, and will continue to progress. The path to a rebuild, has it's ups, and has it's downs. It's never just a linear steady jump to being good.
We've played 1 bad game, and still have a realistic shot at 7,8, even 9 wins. If you wouldn't have taken that before the year, you're plain nuts.

Don't see how you can be so sure. The only games we have that are favorable are NC (which beat Pitt) and Louisville. And those will take everything this team has. The rest are sure losses.

We are going to struggle in the away games -- nothing is given in ACC games. We took a very good Clemson team into the 4th quarter, final drive. Better than expected, right? We just lost in OT -- not going to change my overall evaluation of our team.

I fully understand the emotion post game. But as I said in a different post most of us would have been happy at the beginning of the season to be 4-2 right now. If anyone thought FSU was our coming out party you got ahead of yourself but it was still a great step forward.

As of now we are 4-2 going into a by week and we have an opportunity to win 7-9 games in my opinion. Not bad for an absolute mess of a program.

Huh? You ask how he can be so sure yet you claim that the rest of the games aside from UNC and Louisville are sure losses. Strange, man.

A question - I was thinking we would see Howard , did he play at all, I didn't hear his name? Is he possibly being targeted to redshirt?

There's a subset of posters that are just intolerable after a loss like that yesterday.

I guarantee he's excited about losing to NC State or Wake so he can feel smart.

The only time I ever remember him posting much is after losses.

Wake lost to Clemson, at home, 63-3.

It's a sure loss now?

Take a nap or go for a walk.

Dortch was helped off to the locker room, not putting any weight on one foot, with some type of ankle injury yesterday.

Huh? You ask how he can be so sure yet you claim that the rest of the games aside from UNC and Louisville are sure losses. Strange, man.
Very simple. ND, NC State and BC (with Dillon) have great rushing attacks. Did you note what happened yesterday? I think NC & Louisville at home can be done, WF away is a toss up at best.

Edit: I see Dorch may be out. That would help a lot vs WF.

There is definitely a group that only shows up or is only happy to post after a loss.
They are usually the ones who make constant negative predictions and show up when they are right, but more importantly either disappear when they are wrong, or qualify their being wrong with some nonsense.

They are usually the ones who make constant negative predictions and show up when they are right, but more importantly either disappear when they are wrong, or qualify their being wrong with some nonsense.

Boston just walked it back from “sure loss” to “tossup” on Wake just like that. Lol.

Boston just , walked it back from “sure loss” to “tossup” on Wake just like that. Lol.
Well, it may be better than that with late-breaking news re Dorch, especially if it's season-ending (not wishing that on him, of course). You know, new information changes things! And, you should note, I said "toss up at best."