This is essentially the 2018 schedule. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is essentially the 2018 schedule.

Idk I think this schedule is tougher

Clemson doesn't have Lawrence/Etienne/Higgins/etc. but they still have ton of talent
Notre Dame is about the same
Pittsburgh is a little better
FSU is a little better
Louisville is better
BC is about the same
Purdue is tougher than @WMU
Virginia is a better than that UNC team
Wake Forest is better than that year

he'll be that and then some. Something to assuage your concerns and make you smile a bit. When we went up to the hill to hook up with Rhino and Cruz we ran across Marks next door neighbor who is the strength and conditioning guy up there who explained the following that I think is ok to share.

The long long break Shrader took from football meaning qb in particular with the lack of regularity in throwing, essentially de-conditioned his arm strength and now for the past year and a half he's been working with him on the essentials of the muscles needed to re-condition to stand the rigors of the necessity of the arm strength needed for the position while at the same time doing work to avoid overuse tendonitis/shoulder impingement etc.

He had very good news to report on all of it. He won't be Tom Brady but I think we see a DRAMATIC improvement in the ball he throws. Translation: success on the field above and beyond what we've seen.
Love this, thanks for sharing!

Also Dungey was the man obviously but I think people forget that Dungey was 60-61% completion percentage for 3 of his 4 years here (soph year was the outlier). We were all frusterated many times with his passing which is why 50% of this board was clamoring for he who will not be named.

Shrader was 58% his freshman year and now he is coming off 18months of practice, S&C and 8 games as the starter. Not to mention an offensive sheme that is put together with logic by a legit coaching tandem vs the 1 trick poney stuff$show From last year.

GFS getting to 60% is not outrageous and I think he is a better runner than Dungey (bigger, faster, harder to bring down and just as tough)

Last edited:
Idk I think this schedule is tougher

Clemson doesn't have Lawrence/Etienne/Higgins/etc. but they still have ton of talent
Notre Dame is about the same
Pittsburgh is a little better
FSU is a little better
Louisville is better
BC is about the same
Purdue is tougher than @WMU
Virginia is a better than that UNC team
Wake Forest is better than that year
This is right. 2018 SoS was a weak ACC year

Shraders passing Pct has 3 areas to improve.

One he flat out needs to throw better.. That i think he can do.. He will set his feet better and his body will be more in rhythm with the throws after a full season of QB again. how much that improves his numbers is unknown but it could be 2-5% pretty easily

Two Has he learned the offense better so he throws on time more often? Too many throws were late because he was late seeing the play or he didnt trust the WR and waited for open throws. You watch many of the drills and they are throwing many more throws early in practice.. Trust the WR to be where he is supposed to be.. new offense so who knows here

Three will the new offense give him better throwing windows. It was clear the last couple of years that we didnt scheme guys open very well in the the easier throw windows. Add in that we had few WR that could actually get open vs tight coverage, it made many throws hard. Time will tell if the routes connect better in the new OC scheme, so more guys are open in the under 15 yr windows more often, and will the QBs see the field well enough to take those throws when they need too..

of course the always variable #4 will the OL give them time to look around and check down when needed.

Because -
Louisville is not engaged in mutiny against Bobby Petrino
Florida State is not a rudderless ship lead by Willie Taggert
Boston College's best player probably won't go down in the 1st Q
Wake Forest's Sam Hartman isn't a true freshman
Counter
-We finally have Cards at home and we’re better.
-FSU may be better then 18 but there still a long way from Bowdens FSU.
- BCs best player didn’t go out in the first quarter although he was definitely not 100%.
- WF Sam Hartman may or may not be playing and with him it took a circus catch in the end zone ( in OT) to beat us in 21.

This is a good debate

The schedule is similar but not identical

I like to look back to the prior year as well. 17 was sort of similar to 21, some close losses that kept them bowl eligibility. The difference was 17 had the injury to ED which probably prevented them from bowling and the defense just gave out at the end. The 17 team had the signature home victory over Clemson where you felt they were close to putting it all together. Did this group have that win last year? On the road to Vtech? Not sure.

18 the team was very healthy with few injuries. It will come down to limiting injuries and overall team health. If they stay healthy, they have a chance to be on the plus side for wins.

I'm still puzzled regarding all the things people are forgetting about when it comes to our schedule:

1. Pitt is going to have a new OC and Slovis has digressed as a QB, just look at his numbers. Pitt will be worse than they were last year without Pickett and Whipple mark it down.

2. Not sure why people are gaga over UVa, without a #1 pick at QB, Elliot's offense was extremely pedestrian at Clemson and I don't think it will be nearly as potent as an Anae offense now that he has taken the reigns at UVa.

3. BC is BC and I just think if we get more out of our O it won't even be close, they have some pretty talented skill guys in Flowers and Garwo but neither of them are in Tucker's class and Shrader is much better running the ball than Jurkovec. Mahogany is out for the year which is tragic but will weaken that OL. Don't see them beating us.

4. We should've beaten FSU last year and while they may be better, so will we. This game is literally a coin toss.

5. WF even with Hartmann has a hard time with us and honestly losing Robertson will hurt them, they don't have Beale-Smith anymore either so can their replacements step up? We out gained them on O last year and they are less talented this year.

6. Which Louisville shows up? They had some games last year that left me shaking my head ... 3 of the last 4 years they have opened with a P5 opponent and lost all 3 ... will that trend continue? They seem to look lost in week 1 seemingly every year the last 4 years. Their performance against Ole Miss and Air Force last season was awful. They may come out and boat race us or they may play like Wagner .. even when they win they look sloppy.

7. Clemson is replacing both coordinators and DJ looked pedestrian last year ... not sure why everyone loves them so much. Yes they will be good defensively but can the O get it going?

I've said it before and I'll say it again the ND game is the one I'm looking at with my lowest level of confidence and their QB situation is unknown right now. How does a Freeman offense look? These are all winnable games for this team if they can stay healthy and the offense adapts well to Anae and Beck. I can totally see the doom and gloom based on history but when it comes to our schedule are we making mountains out of mole hills?

I am willing to bet by season's end we won't have the same number of ACC teams ranked as we do at the start, it will be less. I see last season playing out all over again ... question is are we improved enough to take advantage much like we did in 2018? My hope is yes! The one ACC team that scares me more than all the others is Miami ... Van Dyke is legit. If we do see them it would be in the ACC title game ... oh one can dream :)

I'm still puzzled regarding all the things people are forgetting about when it comes to our schedule:

1. Pitt is going to have a new OC and Slovis has digressed as a QB, just look at his numbers. Pitt will be worse than they were last year without Pickett and Whipple mark it down.

2. Not sure why people are gaga over UVa, without a #1 pick at QB, Elliot's offense was extremely pedestrian at Clemson and I don't think it will be nearly as potent as an Anae offense now that he has taken the reigns at UVa.

3. BC is BC and I just think if we get more out of our O it won't even be close, they have some pretty talented skill guys in Flowers and Garwo but neither of them are in Tucker's class and Shrader is much better running the ball than Jurkovec. Mahogany is out for the year which is tragic but will weaken that OL. Don't see them beating us.

4. We should've beaten FSU last year and while they may be better, so will we. This game is literally a coin toss.

5. WF even with Hartmann has a hard time with us and honestly losing Robertson will hurt them, they don't have Beale-Smith anymore either so can their replacements step up? We out gained them on O last year and they are less talented this year.

6. Which Louisville shows up? They had some games last year that left me shaking my head ... 3 of the last 4 years they have opened with a P5 opponent and lost all 3 ... will that trend continue? They seem to look lost in week 1 seemingly every year the last 4 years. Their performance against Ole Miss and Air Force last season was awful. They may come out and boat race us or they may play like Wagner .. even when they win they look sloppy.

7. Clemson is replacing both coordinators and DJ looked pedestrian last year ... not sure why everyone loves them so much. Yes they will be good defensively but can the O get it going?

I've said it before and I'll say it again the ND game is the one I'm looking at with my lowest level of confidence and their QB situation is unknown right now. How does a Freeman offense look? These are all winnable games for this team if they can stay healthy and the offense adapts well to Anae and Beck. I can totally see the doom and gloom based on history but when it comes to our schedule are we making mountains out of mole hills?

I am willing to bet by season's end we won't have the same number of ACC teams ranked as we do at the start, it will be less. I see last season playing out all over again ... question is are we improved enough to take advantage much like we did in 2018? My hope is yes! The one ACC team that scares me more than all the others is Miami ... Van Dyke is legit. If we do see them it would be in the ACC title game ... oh one can dream :)

Pittsburgh hasn't had good offenses before and they've still beaten us like 8 out of the last 10 seasons. And Louisville has waxed us 5 out of the last 6 seasons with different QBs.

Counter
-We finally have Cards at home and we’re better.
-FSU may be better then 18 but there still a long way from Bowdens FSU.
- BCs best player didn’t go out in the first quarter although he was definitely not 100%.
- WF Sam Hartman may or may not be playing and with him it took a circus catch in the end zone ( in OT) to beat us in 21.
I think Hartman comes back in the second half, which sucks for cuse. It will also suck playing there at the end of the year.

Syracuse hasn't won at Pitt in over 20 years I'm pretty sure. I basically chalk that up as a loss. Now if the team is looking good at that point in the season I'll reconsider.

Pittsburgh hasn't had good offenses before and they've still beaten us like 8 out of the last 10 seasons. And Louisville has waxed us 5 out of the last 6 seasons with different QBs.

2016 they scored 76
2017 they scored 24
2018 they scored 44
2019 they scored 27
2021 they scored 31

They do well on offense and when they don't we beat them ... ala 2017. They won last year putting up big point totals. If history holds and their O have a down game against us do we win? I like our chances. I also never said LVille didn't beat us ... I said they usually have a jekyl and hyde feel and are historically poor performers over the last few seasons in week 1. We play them in week 1 .. is that to our advantage? Which Louisville shows up?

10 of 12 opponents the same, 8 games are the same location.

Delta’s.

Purdue at home vs WMich away

ND home vs NYC

Uconn away vs at home

UVa at home vs UNC at home

Why not the same outcome? 4-8, 4-8 to 10-3. It’s been done before and then the team was further away from being good.
I like the cut of your jib.

I think Hartman comes back in the second half, which sucks for cuse. It will also suck playing there at the end of the year.
I have no idea what the injury is, will he be the same ?

I have no idea what the injury is, will he be the same ?
When I tried to read up on it, it kinda sounded like cancer or something like that. I know that’s irresponsible speculation and I hope like hell it isn’t true.

When I tried to read up on it, it kinda sounded like cancer or something like that. I know that’s irresponsible speculation and I hope like hell it isn’t true.
WF Forum's most plausible belief is: blood clot in non-throwing arm.
Expected back for Clemson in Week 4, maybe even Week 3 for Liberty.

Lookie lookie at LVille and we beat Pitt if we stay healthy. Mark it down. Looks like Hyde showed up for the Cardinals and left Dr Jeckyl home.

Lookie lookie at LVille and we beat Pitt if we stay healthy. Mark it down. Looks like Hyde showed up for the Cardinals and left Dr Jeckyl home.

Would love to beat Pitt especially at Heinz field. We're long overdue to beat them and winning more frequently against them/BC/Lville helps recruiting and gets SU to bowls more often

This season is tougher unless the 6 game stretch after the bye softens up and some of those teams implode. NC State, FSU, Pitt could have lost week 1 but all are much better than they were in 2018. Wake is better than 2018 and we weren't gonna lose that one after we lost in a monsoon a game we should have won with no Dungey the year before.

UNC was bad that year and shouldn't have almost won whacky game that didn't need to get close its about equal to UVA. Clemson might be worse but we should have won that game.

Ville had quit on Petrino Saturday was a much tougher opponent. ND at home is better than NYC when they are in playoff position but they did us a huge favor moving it out of South Bend.

But yeah Wagner, Uconn, ND OOC and crossover at home its not wildly different good call there.

This season *is* tougher. But we're better than Eric Dungey vs The World. Hopefully.

Sidenote: This Louisville game was pretty much the FSU game from '18. Similar score, similar dominant defensive performance.

This season is tougher unless the 6 game stretch after the bye softens up and some of those teams implode. NC State, FSU, Pitt could have lost week 1 but all are much better than they were in 2018. Wake is better than 2018 and we weren't gonna lose that one after we lost in a monsoon a game we should have won with no Dungey the year before.

UNC was bad that year and shouldn't have almost won whacky game that didn't need to get close its about equal to UVA. Clemson might be worse but we should have won that game.

Ville had quit on Petrino Saturday was a much tougher opponent. ND at home is better than NYC when they are in playoff position but they did us a huge favor moving it out of South Bend.

But yeah Wagner, Uconn, ND OOC and crossover at home its not wildly different good call there.
I disagree about NC state being much better than 2018. They put up 41 on us and Ryan Finley had an outstanding season. In 2018 they absolutely pummeled ECU. The 2022 version of NC State may end up being better as the season moves along but it’s too early to insist they are much better than the 9-4 Finley led team of 2018.

Pitt is going to be exposed this Saturday by Tennessee, I do agree FSU will be better specifically at QB but how much better is the question. I also think FSU will be vastly improved on D … however we are also better on the defensive side of the ball than we were in 2018. That should be a good game, I hope :)

I disagree about NC state being much better than 2018. They put up 41 on us and Ryan Finley had an outstanding season. In 2018 they absolutely pummeled ECU. The 2022 version of NC State may end up being better as the season moves along but it’s too early to insist they are much better than the 9-4 Finley led team of 2018.

Pitt is going to be exposed this Saturday by Tennessee, I do agree FSU will be better specifically at QB but how much better is the question. I also think FSU will be vastly improved on D … however we are also better on the defensive side of the ball than we were in 2018. That should be a good game, I hope :)

You really think Hooker and Milton are decent QBs for Tennessee? I think they both blow.

I took WVU big against Pitt but I LOVE Pitt this week to beat Tennessee. Slovis is better than those 2 by miles. Pitt won at their place easily. Shame Pitt's stadium will be back to being half empty though.

You really think Hooker and Milton are decent QBs for Tennessee? I think they both blow.

I took WVU big against Pitt but I LOVE Pitt this week to beat Tennessee. Slovis is better than those 2 by miles. Pitt won at their place easily. Shame Pitt's stadium will be back to being half empty though.
Hooker had a 31 to 3 TD to INT ratio last year in a new system. Slovis has done nothing but digress just look at his numbers from his frosh year on. I'm not a Milton fan but Hooker has been quite good since he took over full-time duties the middle of the season last year. Both are far more mobile than Slovis.

Last year Hooker finished 13th in the nation in rating, Slovis 107th ... not sure why he doesn't blow more than Hooker in your eyes. Bear in mind Hooker did this in the SEC while Slovis was in the Pac-12 as well ... my girlfriend (for better or worse) is a Tennessee fan and I was able to watch Hooker quite a bit last year.

The running game in the UT vs Pitt game is where the rubber meets the road but I don't think Pitt will be ready for their tempo and now that they have had a year to get things adjusted UT should move fast. Don't be surprised to see Pitt players dropping like flies to slow them down ... Narduzzi is a scumbag so I'm sure he is working on the tactics at practice as we speak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom