This is not a tournament team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is not a tournament team

You don't have to be a very good team to get in the tournament. We are no different than prior years at this point.

Their play is definitely different, although I mostly agree mostly with you that they are similar at this point as they were at in prior years; however, their outlook is not good. I truly cannot see this team winning more than one game the rest of the way, unless it's Wake and maybe one other cupcake in the ACCT.

I was ready to win tonight and start a thread to the effect of "Its February, and for the first time since 2014 we can now start thinking more about improving our seeding rather than just getting in at this point. So much for that.

This post is gonna be fun to look back at. We’re making the tourney and probably even winning a few games.

Would be nice. But somehow this team appears to be even worse than prior bubble teams. Just getting carved up on D while also looking pathetic and lost on offense. Straight-up embarrassed by almost every good team we have faced.

Look, brissett was 1-10, Hughes was 1-9, battle was off and buddy was an 0-fer from 3. When your top 4 scorers arent hitting it's tough to win. We got everything we wanted at the start, with mismatch postups and drives by brissett, and catch and shoot open threes for Hughes. Sometimes the ball doesn't go in, guys get frustrated and that sets the tone. They shot the ball lights out . They aren't that good and we aren't that bad.

Look, brissett was 1-10, Hughes was 1-9, battle was off and buddy was an 0-fer from 3. When your top 4 scorers arent hitting it's tough to win. We got everything we wanted at the start, with mismatch postups and drives by brissett, and catch and shoot open threes for Hughes. Sometimes the ball doesn't go in, guys get frustrated and that sets the tone. They shot the ball lights out . They aren't that good and we aren't that bad.

They were 5-18 from 3. How is that shooting the lights out?

Aside from the Duke win, where we were gifted two injured stars, this team has beaten up on the dregs of the ACC while getting throttled by any decent team. Throw in the bad OOC losses (which included two more blowouts), the remaining schedule - with only one guaranteed win (maybe?), and the same issues repeated game after game and you have all the makings of a team that is NIT-bound.
I’m the past we have lost to a couple dregs of the ACC teams. Don’t go overboard... We aren’t national chamo contenders but tourney still seems like a yes.

I was ready to win tonight and start a thread to the effect of "Its February, and for the first time since 2014 we can now start thinking more about improving our seeding rather than just getting in at this point. So much for that.

I was all about getting the double bye in the ACCT all week. By to that

Do we really have to endure 4 more years of this? I mean, I hope to outlive JB’s tenure, but dam that’s 4 long winters. And then we have to hope they find a decent replacement.

In 2001 I remember we played like absolute garbage down there, but still pulled out a close win. Because we were better. And played like we expected we were going to win.

Losing has become way too acceptable around here.

I used to always know we were going to make a run. And we usually did. Now we just lose by 20.

Why no ball movement and screening tonight? We started doing a much better job of that a few games ago, but have now regressed. We need to get room-and-rhythm threes for Elijah and Buddy early in the game to get them on track and feeling confident right off the bat. And while I was very happy to see Frank hitting jumpers, WHY is he STILL not attacking the basket and getting into the paint?? He’s still not trying to go by his man and draw a foul. This is a complete 180 from last season. Tyus was stymied all night and then got frustrated and tried to force too much. Finally, why did JB wait so long to call out the full court press and then barely use it? He really thought NC State would handle it so easily?

Go ahead and defend yet another blowout loss to a "peer" team. Take the Duke win away and this team is barely even in the discussion for the tournament.
Take away the 25-0 start.

Take away the Final Four.

Take away the other Final Four.

Take away the win over MSU.

Take away the win against Duke.

Take away the other wins against Duke.

With all of the wins some of you are trying to take away from Boeheim and the program, I’m surprised you don’t work for the NCAA.

Would be nice. But somehow this team appears to be even worse than prior bubble teams. Just getting carved up on D while also looking pathetic and lost on offense. Straight-up embarrassed by almost every good team we have faced.
We're going to look back on those 60-56 rock fights as the good old days.

Why no ball movement and screening tonight? We started doing a much better job of that a few games ago, but have now regressed. We need to get room-and-rhythm threes for Elijah and Buddy early in the game to get them on track and feeling confident right off the bat. And while I was very happy to see Frank hitting jumpers, WHY is he STILL not attacking the basket and getting into the paint?? He’s still not trying to go by his man and draw a foul. This is a complete 180 from last season. Tyus was stymied all night and then got frustrated and tried to force too much. Finally, why did JB wait so long to call out the full court press and then barely use it? He really thought NC State would handle it so easily?

Howard cannot get by his man. Whatever happened to his ankle was bad enough to impact him going North/South.

In 2001 I remember we played like absolute garbage down there, but still pulled out a close win. Because we were better. And played like we expected we were going to win.

Losing has become way too acceptable around here.

I used to always know we were going to make a run. And we usually did. Now we just lose by 20.
Change your tune ??? Who's the Troll now??

Last edited:
"The bubble is weak this year" yada yada yada.
It is though. It gets old that we are always teetering on it but the bubble is always bad, and we aren't good but the statement that the bubble is weak ...again is true.