This is not a tournament team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This is not a tournament team

Howard cannot get by his man. Whatever happened to his ankle was bad enough to impact him going North/South.
Tyus wasn't blowing by anyone last night either. IT is a team wide problem when we play teams that actually defend.

It is though. It gets old that we are always teetering on it but the bubble is always bad, and we aren't good but the statement that the bubble is weak ...again is true.

Can you give me an example of a season where the bubble wasn't weak, and show me the quantitative difference so I can visualize it?

ODU is leading CUSA. Not really a bad loss at the moment. Just one you’d rather not have.

This statement says all I need to hear about the current state of the SU basketball program. Every single year these days we are justifying losses to the likes of ODU. The same ODU team that has losses on its resume to Marshall, UTSA, Northern Iowa, St. Joseph's and Florida Atlantic and no real good wins beyond us (debatable on how good of a win that is) and VCU.

I mean, would it almost be detrimental to the program for us to get in, and pull another Sweet Sixteen appearance out of some orifice?

Take away the 25-0 start.

Take away the Final Four.

Take away the other Final Four.

Take away the win over MSU.

Take away the win against Duke.

Take away the other wins against Duke.

With all of the wins some of you are trying to take away from Boeheim and the program, I’m surprised you don’t work for the NCAA.

It's still relevant when it's the only win that we have to hang our hat on this year and it came against a team without two of their stars, one of whom they lost very early in the game and had no time to prepare for his absence.

Can you give me an example of a season where the bubble wasn't weak, and show me the quantitative difference so I can visualize it?
No I can't give you an example of when the bubble wasn't weak - that is why I said it is always bad. Teams are on the bubble for a reason they either stink or have underachieved. This year is no different than every year since the tourney expanded.

I mean, would it almost be detrimental to the program for us to get in, and pull another Sweet Sixteen appearance out of some orifice?

Yes, it would be like giving crack to a crack addict. It will give us a short-term high and a false sense that everything is OK. But in actuality we still have big picture/foundational problems.

I get what you mean but nothing is changing for the next 3 years so no.

They were 5-18 from 3. How is that shooting the lights out?

They shot 49% from the field. Our field goal percentage defense on the year is 39%. That's shooting extremely well. In the second half they were even better. When our offense struggles it's contagious for our defense.

Only if we knew that an NIT would make JB think long and hard about retiring. I think it would take 2 NITs for that to be a possibility though. Maybe even 3.

Change your tune ??? Who's the Troll now??

Huh? I didn’t call you a troll, I was telling YOU that edfromsodus is a troll and not to bother taking his posts seriously. He’s not genuine in anything he posts.

Not sure why you’re still confused, but it’s kinda funny.

They shot 49% from the field. Our field goal percentage defense on the year is 39%. That's shooting extremely well. In the second half they were even better. When our offense struggles it's contagious for our defense.
NC State's average team FG% on the year is 47%. I wouldn't call that lights out.

Since Syracuse routinely averages a sub 43% FG%, then I can see where people might consider that 49% lights out shooting.

It is.

THe real question is what is going to happen with Battle and Brissett neither have a chance of getting drafted. Of course they could both sneak into the 2nd round late but that is less than 50-50. I blame our fans for pushing them out the door and this narrative that they were good enough to leave early from day 1 has done nobody any favors.

OP will look stupid next week after we beat Louisville. Anyone with half a brain knew there would be some ugly nights in ACC play last night was one of them move onto the next. Duke was having a bad game like us on the road until the last 5 minutes Tuesday night.

You guys are crazy. We're in the tournament just fine, aren't on the bubble even with the lose last night...no #1 or #2 seed is gonna want to see us on that 2nd game of the tournament

You guys are crazy. We're in the tournament just fine, aren't on the bubble even with the lose last night...no #1 or #2 seed is gonna want to see us on that 2nd game of the tournament
As of right now, I would yes, we are in. But if we lose all the games we left where we are the underdog, does that still hold true?

If Selection Sunday was today, the committee would almost certainly be putting our resume under the microscope and having a conversation about us. I think we would still probably be in right now as about a 10 seed, but the idea that we aren't a bubble team right now is insanity.

As of right now, I would yes, we are in. But if we lose all the games we left where we are the underdog, does that still hold true?
that's why you play the game and not worry about underdog vs favorites

If Selection Sunday was today, the committee would almost certainly be putting our resume under the microscope and having a conversation about us. I think we would still probably be in right now as about a 10 seed, but the idea that we aren't a bubble team right now is insanity.
Selection sunday was today, we are closer to a 8 seed than 10. Have you seen the bubble this year? It's HORRID

that's why you play the game and not worry about underdog vs favorites
Sure, but the point I'm making is that we are far from comfortably into the tourney. And based on how we've played, I don't feel we stand a good chance of winning games we aren't supposed to.

Have you seen the bubble this year? It's HORRID

I’m still waiting for the first person who can actually substantiate that talking point with data. I feel like it’s surpassed “it’s hard to beat a team three times in one season” as college basketballs worst cliche.

Clemson and Arizona State are the 11 seeds right now on the matrix.

Sure, but the point I'm making is that we are far from comfortably into the tourney. And based on how we've played, I don't feel we stand a good chance of winning games we aren't supposed to.
and this is based on an away game at NC State? happens, you lay eggs sometimes. We'll be fine. We may go 1-2 these next three games which any win against these upcoming teams will solidify us more into the tourny

I’m still waiting for the first person who can actually substantiate that talking point with data. I feel like it’s surpassed “it’s hard to beat a team three times in one season” as college basketballs worst cliche.

Texas is considered an 8 or 9 or 10 seed and they are 14-11 and 6-6 in conference. the bubble always stinks, and since the field expanded to 68 it continues to stink. whether it is especially bad this year, hell, I don't know, but it stinks