This is serious.. so pay attention.... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is serious.. so pay attention....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jekelish... you're one of the best posters here (well, at least most of the time...;) ). I love the fact you started to post here when you were a student. My post was in no way directed at you or similar posters. But I think you know that. And I love it when you are "silly," because more than anything, I can be silly. But I think you know that.

Here in lies the problem IMO. It will be OK for some and not for others. Who decides who is a good poster and who is not, who is a funny poster and who is not?

Ive been on here 12 yrs and think the sensitivity is off the charts on this. The threats to leave because of things that I know are implicating a poster like myself without specifically saying as much are a bit over the top imho. I try to engage within context and add what I can with an intellectual perspective. I also enjoy the spirit of the board community. Its a fair sentiment and point taken. It just seems a bit over dramatic in respect to actual occurrences and their frequency.

Message received though and thank you for being candid.
I'll give you an example of what I think CTO is referencing: I opened the thread about Keita to check if there was any information about his condition.

Not surprisingly, the thread was hijacked with numerous futile attempts at humor. I learned that a doctor friend of one of the board wind bags sent a text message that Baye has a subdural hematoma. In an attempt to "one-up" this really childish post... another poster stated that Baye will have his leg amputated and play Wednesday's game wearing a prosthesis.

Let me ask you...what intellectual value do posts like this contribute to this community?

I'll give you an example of what I think CTO is referencing: I opened the thread about Keita to check if there was any information about his condition.

Not surprisingly, the thread was hijacked with numerous futile attempts at humor. I learned that a doctor friend of one of the board wind bags sent a text message that Baye has a subdural hematoma. In an attempt to "one-up" this really childish post... another poster stated that Baye will have his leg amputated and play Wednesday's game wearing a prosthesis.

Let me ask you...what intellectual value do posts like this contribute to this community?
they were joking around? No big deal. Just ignore them and scroll down.

My final thought on this is that maybe speaking up when you arent enjoying the board vs reaching out to a moderator is better. I prefer being direct and I think it puts moderators in a tough spot in such a scenario. Im sure we all have reached out via pm occassionally after a heated exchange or 2 in order to figuratively shake hands and apologize for anything over the top. I think its fair game to operate that way without further involving moderators who are forced to address the forum about it. I am no advocate for a battle royale but a friendly reminder to keep my head straight and not sour the community is welcomed. :)

Why must every post add intellectual value. Some of us may not blessed with intellectual skills and intelligence how then should we contribute. I read that thread as well and I know that Baye is day to day with a knee sprain. I found the humor to be slightly emotionally uplifting. Should it be a 5 post thread where one asks, one answers, and two thank. And who decides when what and where?

Here in lies the problem IMO. It will be OK for some and not for others. Who decides who is a good poster and who is not, who is a funny poster and who is not?
Jordoo.. I think you are a great poster, also. I have a fondness for Jekelish because he was literally our FIRST student poster when the board started more than 14 years ago (okay, Jekelish, Brian Orange and Beth were our first student posters, but you get what I mean). I have never met Jekelish, but I feel we have known him through his four years at SU, his various jobs, his marriage and his son. And I'm not the only one ... who's "known" Jekelish during that period... and he's by far not the only person we've seen grow from student to parent. Chip, Millhouse, UEO, Bayside, etc, etc, etc. That's what I feel is special about this place. Over the years, we've become a family... with new family members arriving every week. And we constantly get to know new folks at tailgates and bars and other get-togethers -- or just on line. That is what makes this board special and different from other fan forums. And that is why we are trying to keep it an intelligent fan forum.

Last edited:
My final thought on this is that maybe speaking up when you arent enjoying the board vs reaching out to a moderator is better. I prefer being direct and I think it puts moderators in a tough spot in such a scenario. Im sure we all have reached out via pm occassionally after a heated exchange or 2 in order to figuratively shake hands and apologize for anything over the top. I think its fair game to operate that way without further involving moderators who are forced to address the forum about it. I am no advocate for a battle royale but a friendly reminder to keep my head straight and not sour the community is welcomed. :)

I like this post a lot.

Why must every post add intellectual value. Some of us may not blessed with intellectual skills and intelligence how then should we contribute. I read that thread as well and I know that Baye is day to day with a knee sprain. I found the humor to be slightly emotionally uplifting. Should it be a 5 post thread where one asks, one answers, and two thank. And who decides when what and where?
The "intellectual value" comment was in direct reference to the Orangezoo's post.

Every one likes to have fun...that's not the issue. It's the mindless thread hijacking that seems to never end.

I appreciate the kind words, Joyce.

I will say that with some of our posters, and the staunch opposition that some people have to general humor and anything remotely off topic, this is basically how I envision them:

I have to assume some of these people are among those talking about leaving. Again, some of the stuff that goes on here is more than pushing the limits. I myself get frustrated with some of the posts I see now and then from some certain posters, but I'd never threaten to leave because I don't like someone or what they decide to post about. I either don't read their posts or, because I'm apparently a masochist and like to get myself fired up and argumentative, I keep reading their stuff and take subtle shots now and then...because I never claimed to be a mature adult.

Jordoo.. I think you are a great poster, also. I have a special fondness for Jekelish because he was literally our FIRST student poster when the board started more than 14 years ago (okay, Jekelish, Orange Brian and Beth were our first student posters, but you get what I mean). I have never met Jekelish, but I feel we have known him through his four years at SU, his various jobs, his marriage and his son. And I'm not the only one ... who's "known" Jekelish during that period... and he's by far not the only person we've seen grow from student to parent. Chip, Millhouse, UEO, Bayside, etc, etc, etc. That's what I feel is special about this place. Over the years, we've become a family... with new family members arriving every week. And we contantly get to know new folks at tailgates and other get-togethers -- or just on line. That is what makes this board special and different from other fan forums.

I wasn't asking because of me specifically. I don't think anyone has ever had a big problem with me here and if they did I hope they'd tell me so I could handle it. I'm very happy that you have and enjoy all of these relationships over the years on this board. Believe me I like Jekelish as well and he can vouch for that. My point is that the very nature of these relationships between posters causes some of these misdirected and hijacked threads and how can we fairly determine who its OK for and who its not. Or when. I hope you understand my question and concern has nothing to do with you personally just people and relationships in general will make it nearly impossible to administrate things across the board fairly especially when its being done with some "long time posters" in mind from their privately complaining about it.

The "intellectual value" comment was in direct reference to the Orangezoo's post.

Every one likes to have fun...that's not the issue. It's the mindless thread hijacking that seems to never end.

How much info can there be about Baye's injury 3 hours after the game? What info there is was posted. Mindlessness can be relaxing at times and its mostly harmless the rest of the time so why sweat it?

Totally blown away that so many people don't know the difference between having a little "fun" and derailing a serious thread and discussion with childish drivel or semi naked women or a F xxxx.

I learned that a doctor friend of one of the board wind bags sent a text message that Baye has a subdural hematoma.
Yeah, that was me. Pardon my attempt to curb much of the hand wringing and anguish I was seeing over the unknown of Baye's injury with a touch of absurdity. I regret nothing. I take no responsibility for the inability or unwillingness of others to detect good intentions.

The subject of CTO's post and RMH44's question about intellectual value say it all. "This is serious." Well, OK, but it's serious because we make it serious. Being a part of this community should be worthwhile to its members, but that worth can be derived from all kinds of things. We're talking about sports, but we talk about any number of things because we're real people that think about things other than sports. It would be unnatural to do otherwise.

Totally blown away that so many people don't know the difference between having a little "fun" and derailing a serious thread and discussion with childish drivel or semi naked women or a F xxxx.

So that's at least two posters pointed out that are obviously being complained about. Can we also point out the complainers?

Yeah, that was me. Pardon my attempt to curb much of the hand wringing and anguish I was seeing over the unknown of Baye's injury with a touch of absurdity. I regret nothing. I take no responsibility for the inability or unwillingness of others to detect good intentions.

The subject of CTO's post and RMH44's question about intellectual value say it all. "This is serious." Well, OK, but it's serious because we make it serious. Being a part of this community should be worthwhile to its members, but that worth can be derived from all kinds of things. We're talking about sports, but we talk about any number of things because we're real people that think about things other than sports. It would be unnatural to do otherwise.
I would present you with the coveted Golden Tee (er, not the video game) but alas, it's not mine to give.

Is it at all possible for the OP of a thread to somehow designate the thread as one that should only illicit serious, "on-point" responses? Maybe some sort of color code or icon in the corner of the post can provide some guidance as to the intended direction of the thread. For better or worse, some threads (Hey Clemson, What's everyone drinking tonight?, threads referencing comments from other schools' boards, etc...) are screaming out for either attempts at humor or controlled anger. Others (SWC-type posts, posts by Moqui and others that include a fair amount of data analysis) are pretty clearly intended to engage the audience in more deliberate thought. In between, the rules are murky.

Is it at all possible for the OP of a thread to somehow designate the thread as one that should only illicit serious, "on-point" responses? Maybe some sort of color code or icon in the corner of the post can provide some guidance as to the intended direction of the thread. For better or worse, some threads (Hey Clemson, What's everyone drinking tonight?, threads referencing comments from other schools' boards, etc...) are screaming out for either attempts at humor or controlled anger. Others (SWC-type posts, posts by Moqui and others that include a fair amount of data analysis) are pretty clearly intended to engage the audience in more deliberate thought. In between, the rules are murky.

As Potter Stewart famously said in his famous Supreme Court decision about p..ornography (which ironically was written by a friend of mine who was clerking for him at the time) ... "I know it when I see it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it

Let's be honest here. Someone designating "this is only for serious responses!" is going to wind up looking like Kevin Bacon at the end of Animal House screaming "All is well!" while chaos erupts around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.