This is serious.. so pay attention.... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This is serious.. so pay attention....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this has become a fairly open discussion, I am curious about one thing...

Apparently my joke about Baye's knee having a brain injury crossed some sort of line, since it was mentioned as a specific example of what some people do not want to see, and was deleted in the thread I posted it to and seemed to be at least some part of the tipping point for CTO to post this reminder to everyone. I don't understand why what I wrote is considered such a terrible post, but I accept it and accept the moderators' rights to delete content as they see fit.

I am curious though why it seems to be permissible for another poster in this thread to refer to me as a windbag. In fairness, they did not mention me by name, but that statement's intent to insult is clear. That would not seem to me to add to the intelligent conversation promoted by the board. To me it appeared unprovoked, and was not civil discussion.

"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever." -- Nigel Tufnel

d20ab91f997611e090e412313b10052d_small

This is thread is the holy grail of what CTO and others are talking about. CTO made it clear in her OP that things were slipping a bit on the bball board and to many serious threads were being turned into or hijacked into a message thread you would see on a howard stern forum versus Syracusefan.com

So instead of people acknowledging the post and moving on weve got about 3 pages of people questioning why this is needed, asking what constitutes a funny poster versus hijacker, people using the 1st amendment, people comparing this site to N. Korea etc etc etc. That my friends is the issue, even a thread about not hijacking serious posts and saying on topic is starting to veer off. I enjoy the funny posts on this board as much as anyone but every thread doesn't need to turn into a discussion about PBR, the board hottie, Bjorn, and the other half dozen or so go to non bball topics on this board. The bball board clearly has the most traffic which is why it has the most posts and why some can and will go in a different direction. I dont think theres anything wrong with and knowing a lot of the mods they like to have as much fun as anyone.
But when CTO makes a post like this its for a reason, theres no need for 2 pages of questioning who, what, where, when, and why. As someone who spends a lot of time on all three main boards (lax, fball, bball) you can cleary see which board has the most traffic and which tends to get pulled of corse sometimes. For those who maybe looking for a place for some serious discussions without any of the other stuff, come on and head over to the Lax board, lots of great insight from some highly knowledgeable posters and we would love some more traffic over there.

In closing let me also say this, these mods especially Bees and CTO are easy going and like to keep things fun and fresh. But you can tell from the last few weeks/months there getting fed up with the garbage not only on this board but the site overall. A word of advice dont keep pushing them and the other mods you wont like the result.

Last edited:
Yuck, thread view makes me feel like I'm back at the beginning of the internet! :)

As for the topic at hand - I think it's pretty simple to delineate between what is appropriate banter and what is just annoying drivel. Trust me, I enjoy the off-the-cuff humor of this board and I partake in it myself to a certain extent, but I think a little common sense as far as what is appropriate and what is over the top and/or annoying would go a long way in helping to maintain the quality of this board.

Well, if you had the option, you could configure your viewing experience to your preferences. Clearly from this thread, there are those who do prefer thread view. Others don't. Whatever. The key is choice.

Even though I'm not sure it warrants an apology, i will apologize to RMH44 and anyone else offended by the second half of the problematic "keita" thread. As the poster of the "amputation" post, I had no idea that this would be so ill received. Heck, I even said the leg was made of potatoes. The post was an attempt at humor based on the 30 "diagnoses" we had less than 20 minutes after the game. In the future I will defer to only the medical professionals here. Again apologies to those offended. Carry on.

JeremyCuse said:
This is thread is the holy grail of what CTO and others are talking about. CTO made it clear in her OP that things were slipping a bit on the bball board and to many serious threads were being turned into or hijacked into a message thread you would see on a howard stern forum versus Syracusefan.com So instead of people acknowledging the post and moving on weve got about 3 pages of people questioning why this is needed, asking what constitutes a funny poster versus hijacker, people using the 1st amendment, people comparing this site to N. Korea etc etc etc. That my friends is the issue, even a thread about not hijacking serious posts and saying on topic is starting to veer off. I enjoy the funny posts on this board as much as anyone but every thread doesn't need to turn into a discussion about PBR, the board hottie, Bjorn, and the other half dozen or so go to non bball topics on this board. The bball board clearly has the most traffic which is why it has the most posts and why some can and will go in a different direction. I dont think theres anything wrong with and knowing a lot of the mods they like to have as much fun as anyone. . But when CTO makes a post like this its for a reason, theres no need for 2 pages of questioning who, what, where, when, and why. As someone who spends a lot of time on all three main boards (lax, fball, bball) you can cleary see which board has the most traffic and which tends to get pulled of course sometimes. For those who maybe looking for a place for some serious discussions without any of the other stuff, come on and head over to the Lax board, lots of great insight from some highly knowledgeable posters and we would love some more traffic over there. In closing let me also say this, these mods especially Bees and CTO are easy going and like to keep things fun and fresh. But you can tell from the last few weeks/months there getting fed up with the garbage not only on this board but the site overall. A word of advice dont keep pushing them and the other mods you wont like the result.
Thank you Jeremy! Very well said!

Thanks, CTO for raising this and for the efforts of all the admins. I wish I had some cogent suggestions but I think we've seen this time and again as this community has grown and migrated. I started with the Prodigy user group (dating myself here) many moons ago and watched us migrate to AOL, syracuse.com, rivals, scout and now syracusefan.com with the same evolution. We start with a central group of material and I read every post, the forum becomes more and more popular and grows exponentially and it's human nature to want your voice to be heard no matter how insignificant or irrelevant that voice may be at the moment. And honestly there isn't a poster here who hasn't been guilty of that in some fashion. At that point I end up skimming topics and glossing over a lot of the insights that drew me to the board in the first place. Guess it all comes down to self censorship and respecting that each individual will have his or her own criteria for that. And I think that is what you conveyed in the OP. Otherwise, eventually the Yogi-ism comes true. "No one will come here anymore - it's too crowded."

First, I appreciate the effort made by the board admins and its participants to keep this a quality board.

With that said, I'm not as bothered by the way threads unfold. I just skim over the stuff I don't care for and move on and give priority to the posters that I follow the most.

And one note, I think we remember the older versions of this board much more fondly than they necessarily deserve. I've gone back and read some of the cached threads, there is a lot of junk that was going on back then.

Last edited:
A lot of the issue would be quickly and easily dealt with by taking OT topics to the OT board. I know many have said they don't like the tone over there, but it really has settled down a lot since the 2012 election has passed. And quite frankly, if some of the more fun-loving types who regularly start OT and/or "hijack" threads here did hang there a little more, it would help a lot to elevate the overall tone and it would be much more enjoyable for those of us who like that kind of exchange. When I first started hanging here, I frequented OT much more then here because it wasn't basketball season, and there were some fun threads to be part of. And honestly, I have used the "ignore" feature on a handful of posters with whom I don't care to become involved, just as I'm sure some have done with me. The point it that it works ... once you stop clicking the "show ignored content" feature. :)

So anyway, it's like I told the kids at school on the first day of each semester, "There's only one rule here, the "Do Right rule." Just do the right thing." Let's resolve this in the best interests of all and take the OT to the OT.

A lot of the issue would be quickly and easily dealt with by taking OT topics to the OT board. I know many have said they don't like the tone over there, but it really has settled down a lot since the 2012 election has passed. And quite frankly, if some of the more fun-loving types who regularly start OT and/or "hijack" threads here did hang there a little more, it would help a lot to elevate the overall tone and it would be much more enjoyable for those of us who like that kind of exchange. When I first started hanging here, I frequented OT much more then here because it wasn't basketball season, and there were some fun threads to be part of. And honestly, I have used the "ignore" feature on a handful of posters with whom I don't care to become involved, just as I'm sure some have done with me. The point it that it works ... once you stop clicking the "show ignored content" feature. :)

So anyway, it's like I told the kids at school on the first day of each semester, "There's only one rule here, the "Do Right rule." Just do the right thing." Let's resolve this in the best interests of all and take the OT to the OT.

Ugh...

Patrick Ewing > OT Board

This is my issue with the whole thing. I feel its human nature to be form attachments and thus treat those you have these attachments with favorably. This whole thing, and its been going on for a while, just smacks of some posters not liking things being different than they were. It is much easier to ignore what you don't like and skim through threads than make a big fuss privately to the mods whom you have an attachment to. As previously mentioned it puts the mods in a tough spot. I'm not sure that some of these long time posters who are threatening to "take their ball and go home" realize that a very large portion of knowledgeable and insightful discussion about bball is done by the same posters they are complaining about. I would challenge anyone hiding behind the mods to come out and say hey I'm one of those that is unhappy. Post your concerns here and you may be surprised at what well rounded posters and people most of these guys and gals are. Getting someone else to do it for you is IMO weak sauce and its hard to take it as coming from an individual person. I for one would try to be more considerate of said posters if I knew who they were albeit without completely changing the way I post. This is about supposedly brought on by some long time posters threatening to leave the board and has at least resulted in one very valuable poster (IMO) publically calling it quits. How many others are just going to stop without us even knowing? I maintain that the board IMO is great one of the best fan boards around and doesn't need to change. Why can't these long time posters chill a bit and realize its not a huge deal unless something is blatantly highjacked from under them our something. You have to grow, learn and change throughout life even once you are an established "long time poster" our you will eventually be left behind its the nature of the beast.

I am curious though why it seems to be permissible for another poster in this thread to refer to me as a windbag. In fairness, they did not mention me by name, but that statement's intent to insult is clear. That would not seem to me to add to the intelligent conversation promoted by the board. To me it appeared unprovoked, and was not civil discussion.

I also wonder about this as certain posters are allowed to personally attack others with seemingly no issues.

This is thread is the holy grail of what CTO and others are talking about. CTO made it clear in her OP that things were slipping a bit on the bball board and to many serious threads were being turned into or hijacked into a message thread you would see on a howard stern forum versus Syracusefan.com

So instead of people acknowledging the post and moving on weve got about 3 pages of people questioning why this is needed, asking what constitutes a funny poster versus hijacker, people using the 1st amendment, people comparing this site to N. Korea etc etc etc. That my friends is the issue, even a thread about not hijacking serious posts and saying on topic is starting to veer off. I enjoy the funny posts on this board as much as anyone but every thread doesn't need to turn into a discussion about PBR, the board hottie, Bjorn, and the other half dozen or so go to non bball topics on this board. The bball board clearly has the most traffic which is why it has the most posts and why some can and will go in a different direction. I dont think theres anything wrong with and knowing a lot of the mods they like to have as much fun as anyone.

In closing let me also say this, these mods especially Bees and CTO are easy going and like to keep things fun and fresh. But you can tell from the last few weeks/months there getting fed up with the garbage not only on this board but the site overall. A word of advice dont keep pushing them and the other mods you wont like the result.

So you think its thread hijacking and off topic to discuss and ask about these things after CTO's OP? The attitude that others should acknowledge and move on without voicing their concerns or asking for clarification is a strange one in deed for me to digest.

Wow that last line is wonderful. Who's pushing who would be my question? (not you but in this situation in general)

Last edited:
Hmm. Consider this my resignation, but I would love to know who the accusers are. My apologies.

I think its sad that the mods have decided to back a group of behind the scene posters and that this has lead to you feeling unwelcome and leaving. I wonder how many others feel this way?

How about if we gave the OP the option to lock or delete a thread? That way, if it the discussion starts to sour, they can put a halt to it. A passive aggressive response I suppose, but worth looking into imo.

Even though I'm not sure it warrants an apology, i will apologize to RMH44 and anyone else offended by the second half of the problematic "keita" thread. As the poster of the "amputation" post, I had no idea that this would be so ill received. Heck, I even said the leg was made of potatoes. The post was an attempt at humor based on the 30 "diagnoses" we had less than 20 minutes after the game. In the future I will defer to only the medical professionals here. Again apologies to those offended. Carry on.

There was nothing IMO that was wrong with it other than people deciding to take offence.

First, I appreciate the effort made by the board admins and its participants to keep this a quality board.

With that said, I'm not as bothered by the way threads unfold. I just skim over the stuff I don't care for and move on and give priority to the posters that I follow the most.

And one note, I think we remember the older versions of this board much more fondly than they necessarily deserve. I've gone back and read some of the cached threads, there is a lot of junk that was going on back then.

I also am glad we have mods working hard.

You make a great point about things being remembered more fondly than they actual were. It seems there is a group of posters who remember when it was a smaller group and they were more central while the discussions were all more relevant to them and they are really letting it bother them that it is no longer that way.

Why was the thread view feature not designed into this forum? It was my preferred way of viewing threads.
a lot of people prefer topic view because it is "neater" to look it, and it is also egalitarian - it forces you (or at least encourages you) to read every post in a thread.
Yuck, thread view makes me feel like I'm back at the beginning of the internet! :)

with thread view, you can self-edit and skip posts by posters you would prefer not to read, and sub-threads that have either gone off topic or have rambled off into a point of minutiae that holds no interest for you. while aesthetically unpleasing, it is organizationally superior. And, as RF pointed out, at the last two stops for this board, individual members had the option of choosing between thread and topic view, so you could keep your preferred "look and feel" while others could have their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.