This is the best I've felt about Marrone, ever | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This is the best I've felt about Marrone, ever

Lots of stuff to respond to here.

I wouldn't consider myself Anti-Marrone. I actually want to see him succeed. I just was vocal about some of the choices the staff made that I disagreed with. That's different to me than being Anti-Marrone, and I've tried to state that from time to time. At worst I was indifferent about a lot of the things people love about the guy.

I'm glad to see that some people felt that Saturday validated Marrone and that he had it figured out all along but just didn't have the parts. Really, if people feel their faith was validated and fans like me believe there are more reasons now to be supportive, that's a win all around. That said, I do think that Marrone and Hackett needed to learn some things about the college game and it wasn't all about "the parts." There was scant evidence years one through three that we were building to what we saw Saturday. To me, people citing that we've seen some of those formations in the past and that we have had single drives in some games where we went no huddle isn't really evidence to me that this was the plan. Factor in that the staff supposedly spoke with other coaches this summer from programs with high powered offenses on how to improve what we do moving the ball and scoring, and yeah, I think it isn't horrible to accept that our HC on his first job and really young OC needed to learn some things, and did. That's to their credit.

I do see Saturday as fundamentally different from glimmers of hope on offense we've had from the Pinstripe bowl and WFVU. The Pinstripe happened at the end of the season, with a team we would never see again. WFVU, with the scheme and personnel we had, was our chance to pitch a perfect game. That was the ceiling.

Saturday though... we didn't pitch a perfect game. Between the lack of red zone execution, missed field goal, and turnovers we left points on the field. If we stick with this as the offense, I think we're in good shape for fireworks.

Last thought - we're not going to average 600 yards a game. We're probably not going to pass for 450 yards a game, or put the ball in the air 65 times a game. That's all fine. If the run/pass balances out, that's fine. What I do think we need to see is the emphasis on getting plays off. The goal should be 85 passes or runs. If we do that, I think we'll start becoming one of those programs where people look at the numbers our players put up and wonder if the players are that good, or just a product of the system. That's a sweet place to be.

The original poster makes a very interesting point about valuing plays over valuing the clock.

The final play of the third quarter shows this perfectly. The next to last play ends with less than 35 seconds on the game clock, last year we would have let the clock run out. Saturday Nassib huried the team to the line and got off a final snap- oh and it was the bomb to Kobeba for six.
Good call, I forgot about that. I remember watching an Oregon game last season where the play ended with like 6 seconds left in the quarter. They rushed up to the line, got the snap off, and the running back broke off a 60 yard TD run.

we can't run the ball well. nw was a mediocre run defense at best, and we still had issues. unless we getb outside we don't have a chance running the ball. at best we are sub par

Out of 29 carries, 12 were by Nassib. They didn't focus on establishing the run, but ran it well enough. There were four OL taking their first snap yesterday.

I counted 9 new starters from last year on offense
Arguably our top two players on offense out (Lemon and Pugh)
Top rusher from last year graduated
Top SIX receivers from last year either graduated or injured and not playing
in addition to the 9 new starters, Broyld, Clark, Trudo, Phillips & Cutler all played
New tempo and new system

Here were the results:
33 First Downs
596 total yards
120 rushing (4.2 ypc)
470 passing (10.6 ypc)
1 SACK
I don't remember a holding call on the OL (there was one on Jarrod West)
60% success rate on third down
100% on fourth down

Lots of execution mistakes to fix...
But the difference between what was on the field on Saturday and what was on the field the last TEN years is tremendous

71 pass plays called, one sack, two knockdowns, 5 hurries. Out of 95 plays, 5 tackles for a loss allowed, and that's with a right side of the line featuring 4 guys (Alexander, Foy, Trudo, Phillips) seeing either their very first games snaps ever, first extended time in over a season.

And they weren't playing Nova, or UMass, or Youngstown, or Chattanooga, or Tulane either. Pretty damn impressive.

71 pass plays called, one sack, two knockdowns, 5 hurries. Out of 95 plays, 5 tackles for a loss allowed, and that's with a right side of the line featuring 4 guys (Alexander, Foy, Trudo, Phillips) seeing either their very first games snaps ever, first extended time in over a season.

And they weren't playing Nova, or UMass, or Youngstown, or Chattanooga, or Tulane either. Pretty damn impressive.

I know you were referencing the right side of the line, but Hickey was also playing his first game in two years, and his first college game snaps...

I think Marrone said 90 or 95 plays in his introductory press conference.

The reason I'm putting 2 and 2 together is this was the first opener under Marrone where the depth was visible on the sidelines before kickoff. Wake (Wake!) had probably 15 more bodies last year and looked more athletic as a team.

Also all the offensive pieces haven't been integrated yet, such as AB and Clark brand new to the system. So we still have many wrinkles to be unwrapped, as the season goes along.

This team should have been playing Nova, Umass, or Tulane. 95% of the country opens up with a cupcake game I dont see why we have to keep playing a team from a power conference every season. Isnt it funny the one year we opened up with a scrub (Akro) we had our best season under Marrone?

0 for his last 6.....

When you are down 35-13 you are going to have to pass the ball a lot to catch up, hopefully SU won't be down that much again.

NW played the run and short pass, they gambled SU would not beat them long and once we did, they had a lot of problems...got to spread the ball out short/side and long.

I do not like the way the receivers blocked Saturday. I may be wrong but I saw a lot of wiffs and poor technique there.

I want to average 4.5 a run or more. 5 or 50 attempts, I don't care.

Did SU have any 3rd and 1 or 2's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom