This is the World That We Live In | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

This is the World That We Live In

A
What does any of this have to do with anything?
guy tells his girlfriend in a private conversation what he thinks. He is an ahole. A person cheats on his wife with thousands women yet has talent on the court, he is a god and society praises him. A person beats up his old lady yet is an all star, he is a god.

This is along the lines of what dasher said, but the players we have had who have committed these transgressions (and who here actually likes DeShaun, or Fab, or anyone else who has had these scenarios come up?) don't make millions off of the same people they so openly hate.

Completely different situations for multiple reasons.

We had how many in a rape case, Devo had some abuse issues.

The school makes money, we're all entertained.

I honestly think the NBA did this to rid them of Sterling and not some overarching principle. Hopefully someone is mic-ing up Jimmy Dolan as we speak.

I just wonder how many people that are so outraged by Sterling's quotes (which with him is about as surprising as the sunrise) cheered on so many of our ballplayers that were in the least documented abusive towards women.

It's the selective pile on that's a big bothersome for me.
What's bothersome for me is the qualifying and deflections for straight out racist quotes. A "ball player" is not even close to the same as an owner "of people". And in no way am I saying I condone what anyone does towards women. I do understand your point, but it's not the same level

A

guy tells his girlfriend in a private conversation what he thinks. He is an ahole. A person cheats on his wife with thousands women yet has talent on the court, he is a god and society praises him. A person beats up his old lady yet is an all star, he is a god.
The conversation is no longer private. It's irrelevant at this point. They are public, for whatever the reason, so we are dealing with them. Adam Silver didn't make them public. He's just dealing with those statements now.

Richard Nixon had private conversations as well, which came out later. But we shouldn't have held those against him either.

Bill Clinton's actions were discussed privately, also. That also led to an impeachment process. But "private" conversations should always be left out.

So let's ignore the Nixon tapes and the Lewinsky tapes, because they were private conversations.

I honestly think the NBA did this to rid them of Sterling and not some overarching principle.
I'm leaning this way as well. His past transgressions were well documented. The NBA was tired of his schit. Now they pounced to rid themselves of this douche. Makes sense to me.

The NBA is a business institution. Its previous leadership allowed for Sterling to stay in the league without taking action against documented racism. It comes along again and he gets the boot. Hindsight adds to the story but it does not make Silver's decision wrong.

Ultimately he has the right to do what is in the best interest of the league. In this case that is what he is doing. What Sterling said and has done in the past is beyond awful. Moral objections aside, this is as much a business decision as anything. If he doesn't ban him and simply move on then this drags out with some serious questions for the entire Clippers organization who would be at the mercy of one individual changing the game due to his views.

You have to widen the horizon a bit and see how difficult things would be if he wasn't banned. It was a damn good decision and a smart one. Now if he goes and does it for something truly petty and therefore begins abusing his power then that is another matter. So far Silver is doing a good job. He already has rid the league of someone long needing a kick in the ass.
So is the story more about Silver than Sterling maybe?

Bayside44 said:
We had how many in a rape case, Devo had some abuse issues. The school makes money, we're all entertained. I honestly think the NBA did this to rid them of Sterling and not some overarching principle. Hopefully someone is mic-ing up Jimmy Dolan as we speak.

The NBA suspended him because his comments were a PR disaster, players were in open revolt, and sponsors were fleeing like rats off the Titanic.

As is the case with most things in life, following the money provides clarity.

"what he thinks". That's one way to say it.

Racism and homophobia are certainly alive in America and can be found in many places. Many of us find them difficult to tolerate and make choices about our activities and how we spend our money accordingly. Some businesses realize that and thus make their choices accordingly also.

The conversation is no longer private. It's irrelevant at this point. They are public, for whatever the reason, so we are dealing with them. Adam Silver didn't make them public. He's just dealing with those statements now.

Richard Nixon had private conversations as well, which came out later. But we shouldn't have held those against him either.

Bill Clinton's actions were discussed privately, also. That also led to an impeachment process. But "private" conversations should always be left out.

So let's ignore the Nixon tapes and the Lewinsky tapes, because they were private conversations.
I'm not saying I condone his actions/words of hate. I don't. I just don't like the fact that society has no problem making heroes out of players who do multiple things that are morally wrong. How many people wanted Fab back on the team?

Tolerating that to the extent of not kicking a Paul Harris or Fab and who knows who else off the team immediately for the well documented incidents of domestic abuse is the biggest blemish on JB's legacy.

You're right, but it's unfair to lump Harris in with those dirtbags. He didn't have any documented incident while a Syracuse student.

What's bothersome for me is the qualifying and deflections for straight out racist quotes. A "ball player" is not even close to the same as an owner "of people". And in no way am I saying I condone what anyone does towards women. I do understand your point, but it's not the same level

I'd rather be called a bad name than sexually abused.
Another thing - DeShaun punches a girl, that's the extent of how his actions can impact her.

Donald Sterling can actually influence a person's entire life after stating his hate for them. Just a slight difference.

Maybe it's just me, but would I rather be called a bad name than physically harmed anytime.

Nixon taped himself.

This thread is chock full of:
backflip.jpg

JMHO

The NBA suspended him because his comments were a PR disaster, players were in open revolt, and sponsors were fleeing like rats off the Titanic.

As is the case with most things in life, following the money provides clarity.
I'd rather be called a bad name than s e x ually abused.

Maybe it's just me, but would I rather be called a bad name than physically harmed anytime.
Good to know you can't see the forest through the trees

• Brendan Eich, founder and ex CEO of Mozilla, forced out of the company that he founded because he supported a political cause that some found offensive,
  • Donald Sterling, forcibly divested of his property for saying something patently offensive
who shall be the next target of the Great Tolerance Campaign of 2014? Nominations, please.

Eich was the CEO for 10 days. I'm sure he hadn't grown too accustomed to it.

Any other non-multimillionaires/billionaires you can cite? I don't have much sympathy for them.

Nixon taped himself.
That was his mistake.

And you really don't think there's more going on here than someone being called a bad name?

I mean...REALLY?

Good to know you can't see the forest through the trees

Considering you called Sterling an owner of people in this thread I am pretty comfortable on where I am in this one.

That was his mistake.

And you really don't think there's more going on here than someone being called a bad name?

I mean...REALLY?

Really? There is a difference between being bugged and knowingly recording yourself.

I think the NBA is using this to rid themselves of Sterling. If this were Mickey Arison at the Heat they would blow it off.

So is the story more about Silver than Sterling maybe?

If you play it that way maybe this story is more about Stern. I think the story is the NBA had a problem, it reared its ugly head and now its gone. I think once you see this for what it is and that was my original point there is little to discuss. It was a smart business decision. Sometimes with these things there is truly no winner or loser. No matter who produced the information or how it is interpreted it was a major blackeye for the NBA in this day and age. Good companies toss the screw ups who pose significant reputational risk.. mission accomplished.

I said this when they released the incognito/martin text exchange-

If people saw, read, or heard some of the conversations ive had behind closed doors with friends/family, I can assure you they would draw some strong negative conclusions, because they don't know the context.

Let me be clear- I am in no way justifying sterling. The guy is clearly behind the times and made ridiculous statements. And yes, he's a known bigot.

I agree that it sets a slippery slope for future situations.

I'll tell you what, if Magic Johnson ends up buying the Clips...I'm calling BS. :)