This is the World That We Live In | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

This is the World That We Live In

The problem with "they're just words", is that the natural response towards something/someone you claim to hate is to avoid them/treat them differently. The words quickly become actions. That's the issue.

Considering you called Sterling an owner of people in this thread I am pretty comfortable on where I am in this one.
I put quotes on it on purpose. Again.. Glad you see the big picture

GoHamSU said:
The problem with "they're just words", is that the natural response towards something/someone you claim to hate is to avoid them/treat them differently. The words quickly become actions. That's the issue.
They already were actions. The guy openly and actively discriminated against blacks and Hispanics for years.

I'd encourage some of you guys to find the 11 minute interview Boomani Jones did yesterday on YouTube. He pretty much nails everything perfectly.

I guess no one remembers (OK guessing Voltaire hasn't been taught since my school days) 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.'

All I can think of is 'The *new* thought police' (1984) ?

Let the market sort it out. If sponsors leave (they should) then economically he will be forced to sell...but a ban? I don't think that is a good precedent. You all better watch your p's and q's.

As for what he did beforehand (well publicized) the NBA had no issues and most def the NAACP didn't. Just sayin'

Really? There is a difference between being bugged and knowingly recording yourself.

I think the NBA is using this to rid themselves of Sterling. If this were Mickey Arison at the Heat they would blow it off.
You honestly think that if Arison was caught saying horribly racist things, it would be blown off?

Come on, you're much smarter than that.

I guess no one remembers (OK guessing Voltaire hasn't been taught since my school days) 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.'

All I can think of is 'The *new* thought police' (1984) ?

Let the market sort it out. If sponsors leave (they should) then economically he will be forced to sell...but a ban? I don't think that is a good precedent. You all better watch your p's and q's.

As for what he did beforehand (well publicized) the NBA had no issues and most def the NAACP didn't. Just sayin'
Voltaire never actually said that, FYI. A biographer said it in a biography of Voltaire. He never actually said it himself.

Voltaire never actually said that, FYI. A biographer said it in a biography of Voltaire. He never actually said it himself.
This is why I come to this board.

You honestly think that if Arison was caught saying horribly racist things, it would be blown off?

Come on, you're much smarter than that.

The NBA was more than happy to prop Jay Z up and look at his history and lyrics.

This guy was a very easy target. The NBA moreso than the the leagues seems to allow a lot more nonsense that they choose not to govern.

Was it proven to be Sterling? Or are the comments still "alleged"?

The NBA was more than happy to prop Jay Z up and look at his history and lyrics.

This guy was a very easy target. The NBA moreso than the the leagues seems to allow a lot more nonsense that they choose not to govern.
I really don't get comparing this to Jay-Z's lyrics. One is a guy writing what is technically art. The other is saying racist crap in every day life. There's a massive difference. Just because Tolkien wrote about Orcs doesn't mean he believed they existed. Same thing with what Jay-Z writes in his songs. Artistic license is a legitimate thing.

Real life racism is quite another thing.

I really don't get comparing this to Jay-Z's lyrics. One is a guy writing what is technically art. The other is saying racist crap in every day life. There's a massive difference. Just because Tolkien wrote about Orcs doesn't mean he believed they existed. Same thing with what Jay-Z writes in his songs. Artistic license is a legitimate thing.

not sure I'm with ya on that 1.

My overall point is that the NBA uses what it needs to it's advantage. Sterling is expendable and an easy guy to toss.

Artistic license with all that vulgarity, well, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. But he helped Ratner level a neighborhood to build an arena and helped the Nets get some cache.

And with other things the NBA allows, collusion, draft "guarantees" to undergrads etc etc...and they toss this old jerk who got privately taped.

I stand corrected. I could respond with other quotes for the intent but whatevs. Not really pertinent to what else I said. You already have your mind made up. Carry on.

I stand corrected. I could respond with other quotes for the intent but whatevs. Not really pertinent to what else I said. You already have your mind made up. Carry on.
Eh, I just like pretending I'm smart. And I don't disagree with the general sentiment of the quote, but mis-attributed quotes have always been a pet peeve of mine. It's like way Shakespeare say, "That sh** be cray-cray."

And at the end of the day, it comes down to this: Sterling has the right to say what he wants. But he has to deal with the consequences since he works for a private organization.

I'm saying that homophobes and racists of all backgrounds are a$$holes.
Is the Pope a homophobe? Does support of traditional marriage make one a homophobe? What about bigamy. Its unfair to those wishing to have multiple spouses at the same time.

Last edited:
Eh, I just like pretending I'm smart. And I don't disagree with the general sentiment of the quote, but mis-attributed quotes have always been a pet peeve of mine. It's like way Shakespeare say, "That sh** be cray-cray."

And at the end of the day, it comes down to this: Sterling has the right to say what he wants. But he has to deal with the consequences since he works for a private organization.
Well if I want to attribute a quote to someone, I will run it by you first. ;) I'm a math/computer science guy who only reads a lot of history.

Considering he basically said he's cool with gay marriage I would say he's not a homophobe.
That is not what he said. He is opposed but he does not condemn. Do you understand that one can hold a position different from yurs and not be a lesser human being?

AlaskaSU said:
Is the Pope a homophobe? Does support of traditional marriage make one a homophobe? What about bigamy. Its unfair to those wishing to have multiple spouses at the same time.

Homophobia is always a poor descriptor to use when discussing denial of rights to same sex couples to be able to take part in the financial and social benefits of marriage afforded to opposite sex couples.

The more appropriate word is discriminatory.

swish7 said:
Is it illegal to be a racist? Who is to judge what is racism?
You want a chance to take this back? Thankfully you still can't run a Whites-only counter at Woolworth's.