This is What Network Money Buys | Syracusefan.com

This is What Network Money Buys

Perhaps some of that money was donated from the crack house being run by some former players?

This is what scares me about the new IPF we are building, which is basically an open warehouse with a field inside. Compared to what is curently being built by other schools, our design is already outdated.

I can't be the only person that wasn't overly impressed with the design of the IPF. As frivilous as it may be (and yes, I know we already have a 50k seat IPF), building a proper practice facility with enough "WOW" factor is of major importance.

IMHO, we may be better served to shelve the current design for a few years until funds can be raised to build something in the 25-30m range.

I think that Manley with the ipf stacks up with any school. We should live within our means and not be in debt for life like other schools. Does Minnesota and Prudue have nice facilities? Yes, and they still suck. Syracuse's campus in general is one of the best campuses around in terms of looks. We have world class academic facilities and pretty good sports facilities. This reminds me of people that were buying houses because their neighbor bought a house and the value doubled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what scares me about the new IPF we are building, which is basically an open warehouse with a field inside. Compared to what is curently being built by other schools, our design is already outdated.

I can't be the only person that wasn't overly impressed with the design of the IPF. As frivilous as it may be (and yes, I know we already have a 50k seat IPF), building a proper practice facility with enough "WOW" factor is of major importance.

IMHO, we may be better served to shelve the current design for a few years until funds can be raised to build something in the 25-30m range.

I agree. You are not the only person who was not overly impressed.

I think that Manley with the ipf stacks up with any school. We should live within our means and not be in debt for life like other schools. Does Minnesota and Prudue have nice facilities? Yes, and they still suck. Syracuse's campus in general is one of the best campuses around in terms of looks. We have world class academic facilities and pretty good sports facilities. This reminds me of people that were buying houses because their neighbor bought a house and the value doubled.

I agree. Everyone should live within their means. And Syracuse has always done more with less, whether that means money, facilities, or recruits, which is commendable. If the department continues to be a good steward of the new money, you would think football would begin to take off. Athletics will be making just as much as any other BCS school, but show itself more creative in getting the most out of it.

I guess what I'm saying is, the new practice facility does not seem like it compares to the best out there, so it's disappointing. But Syracuse should always live within it's means. That's even more important. Just ask Maryland.

Iowa's new facility is up there with some of the best I have seen. Have to applaud them for using some of that BTN money on this gem.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/bucks...-of-that-btn-money-on-new-football-facilities

It thought it was okay. Sterile looking, looks like it was designed to wow middle aged men, not kids. The meeting room looked cramped and cheap; no auditorium style seating?

The actual practice facility is small (72K is tiny, SU's will be over 100K), with a really low roof and is decidedly underwhelming.

Did like the virtual presentation (it maximized what they have to show) and the unification of the weight room, team meeting room, the trophy hallwall, and the IPF all in the same facility.

SU's IPF is bigger than almost all its competitors. The design is distinctive. I really don't have any bones to pick regarding it. It is not part of the same facility as the locker rooms, the training/medical facilities, the weight room, trophy lobby, etc., but that stuff is only a hop a skip and a jump away.

I missed where the study hall was.

SU's IPF is bigger than almost all its competitors. The design is distinctive. I really don't have any bones to pick regarding it. It is not part of the same facility as the locker rooms, the training/medical facilities, the weight room, trophy lobby, etc., but that stuff is only a hop a skip and a jump away.

Let me clarify my position.

I very much appreciate the fact that SUA has recognized (and is addressing) our need for an IPF. If we were to look at this design in a vacuum, I believe the facility we see on paper would serve the needs of our team quite well.

My concern comes 10-15 years down the road. I don't want us to lose recruiting battles in 2025 because recruits are saying "The Syracuse facilities don't stack up to the competition". By no means do I think we should go into debt to build this facility. And its obvious we will never compete against Alabama or Ohio St. But I do think we should be competing against the 2nd tier schools (including state colleges)

If delaying the project for 1-2 years on the front end would help increase its recruiting presence for the long term, I think you do it.

all the things other than the practice field what we just did at manley? its not like manley at the IPF are miles apart.

Let me clarify my position.

I very much appreciate the fact that SUA has recognized (and is addressing) our need for an IPF. If we were to look at this design in a vacuum, I believe the facility we see on paper would serve the needs of our team quite well.

My concern comes 10-15 years down the road. I don't want us to lose recruiting battles in 2025 because recruits are saying "The Syracuse facilities don't stack up to the competition". By no means do I think we should go into debt to build this facility. And its obvious we will never compete against Alabama or Ohio St. But I do think we should be competing against the 2nd tier schools (including state colleges)

If delaying the project for 1-2 years on the front end would help increase its recruiting presence for the long term, I think you do it.

I think SU has learned that (1) they need to keep on pace in building high-end facilities, and (2) they need to maintain and modernize those facilities continuously.

We built some nice things in the 80s and then barely touched them for 25 years. Gross knows better than that, and I'm sure his eventual successor will as well.

I'm not particularly concerned, we seem to have finally gotten it.

I guess what I'm saying is, the new practice facility does not seem like it compares to the best out there, so it's disappointing. But Syracuse should always live within it's means. That's even more important. Just ask Maryland.

Maryland got into all that debt and don't even have an IPF.!

We won't be outgunning anybody so design is important to have something that sets us apart. The mock ups for our proposed IPF are unique to anything I've seen. Well done to those that are making it happen, and I'm glad we'll now have multiple IPF's at our teams disposal. Not sure how many teams can offer that.

It thought it was okay. Sterile looking, looks like it was designed to wow middle aged men, not kids. The meeting room looked cramped and cheap; no auditorium style seating?

The actual practice facility is small (72K is tiny, SU's will be over 100K), with a really low roof and is decidedly underwhelming.

Did like the virtual presentation (it maximized what they have to show) and the unification of the weight room, team meeting room, the trophy hallwall, and the IPF all in the same facility.

I am with you, I actually liked the design of our IPF. Sure it would be ideal to have everything in one facility like this Iowa one, but it just wasn't possible. I am very thankful we are finally stepping up to the plate, but if there were any questions it would be why such a high cost? $17mil seems like a ton for just a field with a few offices, and storage.

Either way with a $17mil IPF to go on top of the $6mil worth of renovations already done we stack up well against the rest of BCS schools. We lack some bells and whistles here and there that could easily be fixed, but we are on par or ahead of a lot of our peers. Our facilities can no longer be used against us in recruiting.

Many schools do not have an IPF, including SEC programs. Some have bubbles (the girls, BCU, and even Texas). Some have partial field facilities (see TCU). Some have to share facilities with other sports (see UNC, Louisville, etc.).

No other school has three indoor facilities. Nobody!

Many schools do not have an IPF, including SEC programs. Some have bubbles (the girls, BCU, and even Texas). Some have partial field facilities (see TCU). Some have to share facilities with other sports (see UNC, Louisville, etc.).

No other school has three indoor facilities. Nobody!

PAM!

Iowa's new facility is up there with some of the best I have seen. Have to applaud them for using some of that BTN money on this gem.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/bucks...-of-that-btn-money-on-new-football-facilities
I think that we need to expand the weight room, landscape "middle campus," and build a museum to former Syracuse greats (all sports, not just football). We could put it between the weight room and the IPF, on south by Goldstein, or by the Dome.

Recruits could start the tour on middle campus and see the IPF, academic support, and the weight room, then go to south to see the apartments (which were just renovated - well, repainted), Goldstein, and the "SU Sports museum," and then, while dreaming of being the next McNabb, tour north campus and walk out on the Dome field with stories about what it's like when it's packed fresh in their heads. If everything is done right, that should be the moment of sale for the recruit. The walk from the Dome to M-street for a family-style meal with a bunch of coaches and their families is where you sell the parents on the school's academics and academic facilities, which is the moment of sale for the parents.

The first memory would be driving into a newly landscaped middle campus* and seeing the IPF, and the last memory would be pretending to be McPherson** while throwing a ball to Rob Moore on Ernie Davis field in the Carrier Dome right before a campus walk and a family-style dinner. That's hard to beat.

*This is why I think that middle campus needs to be landscaped
**This is why I think we need to build a Syracuse Athletic Museum

We do not have "pretty good" sports facilities. Is this a joke? Our facilities are solely outdated.

We do not have "pretty good" sports facilities. Is this a joke? Our facilities are solely outdated.
They've actually gotten a LOT better over the last couple of years. What you said was true not that long ago, but times are a changin'.

out dated? they were just renovated in 2011? have you seen them lately, they are much better then they were 3 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom