This is why 99% of kids | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

This is why 99% of kids

Solid boomer take.

The minute football began to bring in more money than it cost to run the program (scholarships included) the players deserved a cut. A college degree has been a dime a dozen for 30 years
I love the “solid boomer take” comment. Like it’s an insult or something. Maybe a person’s take derives from where they come from. You guys grew up with fantasy sports leagues so of course you’re going to be into upgrading the roster from year using the funds available in the NIL pools to maximize talent. Here this year and gone next. But damn the team is good.

78% of those who make it go bankrupt within 3 years of retirement? Where in the world are you getting that number?

I'd argue getting a large sum of money at some point gives you a better chance at maximizing your earning potential than a child and family studies degree.
Sports illustrated provided the number and there are numerous documentaries that address the poverty rate of former athletes this is not new. The issue is typically when someone manages money poorly giving them a lump sum doesn’t solve it. ESPN did a 30 for 20 literally called “Broke” detailing how quickly the fortunes are squandered.

“According to Sports Illustrated, 78% of former NFL players face financial difficulties within two years of retirement, and 16% will file for bankruptcy within 12 years. This is compared to 60% of former NBA players who are broke within five years of retirement”

Sports illustrated provided the number and there are numerous documentaries that address the poverty rate of former athletes this is not new. The issue is typically when someone manages money poorly giving them a lump sum doesn’t solve it. ESPN did a 30 for 20 literally called “Broke” detailing how quickly the fortunes are squandered.

“According to Sports Illustrated, 78% of former NFL players face financial difficulties within two years of retirement, and 16% will file for bankruptcy within 12 years. This is compared to 60% of former NBA players who are broke within five years of retirement”
Okay, but these things were over 10 years ago. I'm guessing with financial literacy classes for a lot of these kids, and all the online resources due to the internet, those numbers have shrunk considerably.

Also, Sports Illustrated is broke now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Okay, but these things were over 10 years ago. I'm guessing with financial literacy classes for a lot of these kids, and all the online resources due to the internet, those numbers have shrunk considerably.

So you think it’s magically all better? You think NIL is going to fix this? Sports Illustrated ran the article and the study along with statistics was from an external research firm so the financial viability of Sports Illustrated is a strawman and not relevant. It’s a tale as old as time whether it’s insane pro sports contracts or lotto winnings there is usually a bankruptcy or hard financial times ahead. Unfortunately finding a more recent detailed study on a cursory search hasn’t turned up anything but to think the tide has shifted significantly in a decade is not the hill I would die on.

I remember walking with a former girlfriend who played tennis at SU years ago. She refused to take a pair of the cheapest headphones of all time for free from someone promoting an on campus event that week.

Waking up hours before most students to practice or work out, breakfast, classes for hours, lunch, meeting with trainers or staff, then maybe more class, practice after or a match, dinner, homework, bed.

All while being forbidden making any money or taking anything from people. Wild stuff and requiring a whole lot of dedication and sacrifice FOR A NON REVENUE SPORT.
I really don’t think some people realize what a D1 athletes daily schedule looks like. There is no hitting a bong whenever you want , eating some ramen, and taking a nap. Your schedule is full from 6-7am if you need treatment to mandatory study hall at 7-8pm. It was a crime kids couldn’t go to Meirer’s Creek and get paid for an appearance.

Lol

Got it. So go to college and give up on your dreams. Cool.
I think you like to argue as well as being ridiculously uninformed. Newhouse grad? In your case I doubt it will benefit you. Just my opinion though.

So the people in this thread that don’t like NIL and don’t like seeing players monetarily compensated, are you all excited about the team this year? Excited to see the Ohio State QB that went 12-1 last year play for us? Or don’t care because he received some money to come here?

So the people in this thread that don’t like NIL and don’t like seeing players monetarily compensated, are you all excited about the team this year? Excited to see the Ohio State QB that went 12-1 last year play for us? Or don’t care because he received some money to come here?
I’m just happy with the amount we gave him. Shows we will be able to compete going forward.

Turns out I care less and less about college athletics as time goes on. Don’t care much and I’ll spend my time and energy elsewhere.

You mean GMac didn't go to Syracuse and graduate in "Basketball Coaching"?
But he never would be a coach at Syracuse and Siena without going to college and graduating.

Sure. I get it. Instant gratification society. And I am not saying they don’t deserve something. But paying individuals $2.2M for being the best player in the portal is free agency and absolutely ridiculous for “amateur” level athletics.

Amateur went to the train station with Rip. (Yellowstone reference)

I agree it is out of control

We'll look back in 5 or 10 years and see all the issues and unintended consequences.

But why do you have to go to college to play in the NFL? You don't have to get a degree in football, do you?

Elite athletes should have a path to the pros that doesn't disqualify them for not being book smart or testing well.
Cool

Set up a minor league system for the kids that don't want college.
I'm sure hundreds of fans will buy Groupon tix to support this league for the 6 weeks it is in business.

Courses are great if they listen and apply.

I'm glad I listened to those older and more experienced than me...cuz 23 year old me didn't know much about money and investing. Fortunately I knew how to save from my upbringing and running my own painting business summers between college.

Overreach there...

NIL is fine
Unrestricted free agency isn't
Some parallel non-college track for Football Players doesn't seem economically viable to me.

I think you like to argue as well as being ridiculously uninformed. Newhouse grad? In your case I doubt it will benefit you. Just my opinion though.
What am I uninformed about?

And how would Newhouse help inform me about what is essentially college football labor rights?

Last edited:
I love the “solid boomer take” comment. Like it’s an insult or something.
It means one thinks the world works the way it did 20, 30, 40 years ago and refuses to think otherwise. Finding a job, getting raises, the value of an education, the ability to buy a house, etc. have all changed significantly in that time frame.

Courses are great if they listen and apply.

I'm glad I listened to those older and more experienced than me...cuz 23 year old me didn't know much about money and investing. Fortunately I knew how to save from my upbringing and running my own painting business summers between college.
Is this solely about you, or are you questioning the upbringing of college football players?

Just a Boomer commenting on 18-22 year old college students. Most have little financial literacy.
Most grown adults have little financial literacy, that's why they're financing cars with $1k+ down payments.

Some of these kids are taking the money they make and sending it home to their families. Some of them are saving it so they can start in a financially great place after college. Some are using it for a luxury purchase.

With all due respect, Mark, it's money they deserve and earn, so what do you care how they use it?

Amateur went to the train station with Rip. (Yellowstone reference)

I agree it is out of control

We'll look back in 5 or 10 years and see all the issues and unintended consequences.
Yes, conference realignment has been awful for the game and will kill the competitive nature of the P5.

Oh wait you were talking about kids getting their fair share?

The NFL has been providing mandatory financial literacy training to rookies since 2016. I think this was in direct response to those stories.

Also, there's a growing network of resources for players earning via NIL. (This story talks to noted compound interest expert Carl Nassib.)

You just blew my mind. I never thought about it in this way.
while what he says is generally true, there are some exceptions and other ways to get in the league. There was a kid in CNY who never went to college and played semi pro in town and was discovered. If you have the talent they'll find you, especially in this social media connected world. Add in a little self promotion and you can avoid the traditional college route, rare though that it may be.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom