This is why they play the game | Syracusefan.com

This is why they play the game

swish7

All Conference
I'm not going to "eat crow", or praise people who are simply delusional most of the time, and make ridiculous posts in preparation for "I told you so" moments, but I will say it is GREAT to be wrong about last night's game. This win is for all of us, JB and the kids primarily, the season ticket holders secondarily, and goofs like me somewhere down the list. Realist or delusionist, we all love SU.

Pre-game, posted in reply to Lawrinson, I felt the game would go one of two ways:
  1. SU goes up big early, only to hang on in a dog fight. 1 point SU victory.
  2. IUs hustling guards frustrating the heck out of MCW, forcing him into a record # of jump passes, sending BT into a tailspin, Zeller going off, Southy getting into foul trouble, and IU blowing us out, ala Louisville.
But the game went a 3rd way. SU slowly and steadly went ahead. SU slowly and steadily weathered the IU comeback bid, and our seemingly every-game Washington Nationals moment. SU slowly and steadily played about 35ish minutes of consistent ball. We got a big lead, and never relinquished it. MCW did not throw a single jump pass, not a one. Brandon was a rock, and I assume executed exactly in the manner JB strategized, taking Frodo to the rack on every possession.
Southys shot selection was great. I mean, how many shots did he even take?
Fairs shot selection was very good as well. He did not have the greatest game offensively, but he did not let that bother him. He did not turn into a black hole.
Cooney got minutes.
And again, MCW did not throw a single jump pass! Dude weathered a defensive storm, and looked like a world beater. His drive on Dipo, hard bank shot for 2, is the newest reason why he's gonna be a lottery pick. Scouts were reaching for tissues on that one.
The megaton brick on the wide open 3 aside, Triche was fantastic. He apparently plays through pain, which is why he must look so out of sorts on some possessions.
But, all this is why they play the game. We can observe and dissect all season, and be 80% right all season. However, the kids can show up at any time and surprise us. They can mature right before our eyes. They can succeed at things that maybe, unseen by us all, the coaches have been teaching them to do all season, and they have been trying to do all season.
And shoot, who knew that IU would get that flustered? 2 FGs in the 1st 10 is just absurdly fortuitous for us.
Just awesome stuff. Given how this season was tracking, this win is right up there with any of them.
But, I don't want to jinx things, so I'm going to return to form. We cannot afford the ridiculously sloppy stretch of play that we saw in the 1st 5 of the second half. Marquette will take advantage. <note: I had to post this to keep the mojo> I'm actually feeling good, about everybody but Louisville.
Mahalo Otto

So that is the title you've bestowed on yourself?

We won yesterday. Let's not take this to Donkey Town, shall we?

I'm somewhere between a pessimist and a realist. I attempt to be a realist, but admittedly my more pessimistic side gets in the way. And I could give a crap if I'm not considered an "optimist". Many of the "self proclaimed" optimists are delusional, in my book.

That said, let's stay out of Donkey Town.

Right on, wasn't trying to start anything - poor attempt at humor.

L-->G-->O !!!

I'm somewhere between a pessimist and a realist. I attempt to be a realist, but admittedly my more pessimistic side gets in the way. And I could give a crap if I'm not considered an "optimist". Many of the "self proclaimed" optimists are delusional, in my book.

My sentiments exactly. Hope for the best and expect the worst.

Actually, I just realized that I took things towards Donkey Town right off the bat in my OP. My bad.

Let's Go Orangemen!!!!
Isnt Donkey town located somewhere on the georgetown campus?

didnt mcw throw a jump pass early in 2nd half right to an indiana player?

didnt mcw throw a jump pass early in 2nd half right to an indiana player?

I think so. He also threw one to Brandon for a wide open 3 and Brandon missed it way left and long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom