This isn't on Cooney | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

This isn't on Cooney

And Lydon is wide open. I Just see this much differently than you. And 3 seconds is plenty of time.

Clock
Location played a role, rushing played a role (naturally), and the specific player played a role.

He does look open, but the guy in the paint is anticipating either a pass, a drive, or a pullup and in perfect position to stop two of the three, Cooney did the one with the most open outcome.

I'm not saying Cooney is right or wrong, it was just a fail by the coaching staff not having a play set up for this situation and this isn't the first time this has played out in the past few years.

And Lydon is wide open. I Just see this much differently than you. And 3 seconds is plenty of time.

Clock
Location played a role, rushing played a role (naturally), and the specific player played a role.
Lydon is no where near open, unless the guy in the white uniform doesn't play for Pitt.

Lydon is no where near open, unless the guy in the white uniform doesn't play for Pitt.

You don't think if cooney pivots right and drives into the paint the second he got space from artis, that the pitt defender there steps up? I'm sorry, I see this completely differently. It's all speculation, but if you had this set up for a lot of guards, that's gold.

GoHamSU said:
You don't think if cooney pivots right and drives into the paint the second he got space from artis, that the pitt defender there steps up? I'm sorry, I see this completely differently. It's all speculation, but if you had this set up for a lot of guards, that's gold.

The defender would absolutely step up. Hes not gonna give cooney a wide open foul line jumper.

The defender would absolutely step up. Hes not gonna give cooney a wide open foul line jumper.

That's the point. And Lydon is wide open when that happens. Doubtful the pass is made given the situation (especially location of the clock), but there's absolutely enough time imo

GoHamSU said:
That's the point. And Lydon is wide open when that happens. Doubtful the pass is made given the situation (especially location of the clock), but there's absolutely enough time imo

There's enough time watching film after the fact.

There's enough time watching film after the fact.

Absolutely.

This is all unfair to do. But I'm doing it anyway.

I also really don't fault the shot at all.

You stated that at that moment, Lydon was wide open. Now you are changing things.
I do not think there was enough time at that point to pass it then have someone else shoot it, except maybe an alley oop.
Regardless, it was a quality shot. He just missed it.

GIF-bothered-disturbed-facepalm-frustrated-Louie-CK-upset-GIF.gif

Are you saying there was no other play to make because Cooney is simply not capable of making that play? Or because there really was no other play to make?

Regardless, I disagree with both.

If he drove he probably falls down. That wasn't our finest 6.5 seconds. Our kids looked off from starting the set on.

xoy4IOq.jpg

Not one person was in the paint when he went for his shot, and buddy standing on the ACC sign is going to take away any pass that goes in there. I don't know how he accomplishes anything you mentioned with the time given.

I get it, wrong guy shooting the wrong shot at the wrong time. But how is it on the guy that had zero other options but to shoot the ball?

That spacing is horrific.

Are you kidding? The shot clock wasn't working on the top of the backboard, where players are accustomed to looking. What was he supposed to do--squander precious time trying to look for the clock on the floor while simultaneously bringing the ball up under pressure from Artis?

He rushed a bit because he wasn't able to visually locate the clock and the last few seconds of the game were ticking away. I don't fault him for that. People would go wild if he'd driven and the buzzer had gone off before he got a shot up in 7 seconds instead of 6.6. IF the shot clock had been visible like usual, then he'd deserve this criticism, but not under yesterday's circumstances.

If you want to blame him for the miss, and not connecting on another game winning shot opportunity, blame away. Blame JB for putting him in the game cold after sitting for 20 minutes. Blame Howard not being in the game over Roberson to give us another guy to push it. Blame his teammates for not getting open on the inbounds and not getting open as Cooney pushed it upcourt. But don't fault Cooney for the clock on the floor problem that ended up being literally worst case scenario for us on that last possession with only a couple of seconds left in the game.

He was dribbling at the clock. Literally in the same direction he was pointed the whole way up the floor. And it was in the same place it was for most of the game while he was playing.

And why would we blame Howard for not being in the game?

I just don't see the relevance of Lydon's and Roberson's speed down the court in this scenario. Would Lydon and Roberson running down the court faster have resulted in Cooney making a better decision? Maybe Lydon should have been posting up underneath but if Cooney had made a better choice Lydon would likely have been open underneath for the winning bucket and no one would be mentioning how slowly he ran down the court.

They could have stood between the half court and three point line and set a pick to free Cooney up. I think they were trying to do that on the other side for G but he wasn't allowed to get the ball, which JB should have thought was going to happen.

He was dribbling at the clock. Literally in the same direction he was pointed the whole way up the floor. And it was in the same place it was for most of the game while he was playing.

And why would we blame Howard for not being in the game?

Who's blaming Howard? I blame that on the coach, as I've stated in numerous posts.

Who's blaming Howard? I blame that on the coach, as I've stated in numerous posts.

You also mentioned blaming Howard in the post I replied to, but I think you meant to say blame JB for not having Howard in instead of Roberson. No worries though, I jumped in like a day late on that one. This new job is really cutting down on conversating about hoops. Such a drag. Much like losing was yesterday.

You also mentioned blaming Howard in the post I replied to, but I think you meant to say blame JB for not having Howard in instead of Roberson. No worries though, I jumped in like a day late on that one. This new job is really cutting down on conversating about hoops. Such a drag. Much like losing was yesterday.

I think I said something like "blame Howard not being in the game" -- didn't mean that to lay the blame on Howard.

I hear you--I am so deflated. Not being involved in the NCAA tourney makes the whole postseason a drag. My favorite sporting event--by far--of the year, and the wind will be out of the sails for me. Sucks.

I think I said something like "blame Howard not being in the game" -- didn't mean that to lay the blame on Howard.

I hear you--I am so deflated. Not being involved in the NCAA tourney makes the whole postseason a drag. My favorite sporting event--by far--of the year, and the wind will be out of the sails for me. Sucks.

And for the second year in a row at that. And this one we had the chance to get there and just squandered it away.

xoy4IOq.jpg

Not one person was in the paint when he went for his shot, and buddy standing on the ACC sign is going to take away any pass that goes in there. I don't know how he accomplishes anything you mentioned with the time given.

I get it, wrong guy shooting the wrong shot at the wrong time. But how is it on the guy that had zero other options but to shoot the ball?

He is setting up to shoot at 02.5. Take a shot at 01.8 and then 01.3 and you will see what I mean.

He is setting up to shoot at 02.5. Take a shot at 01.8 and then 01.3 and you will see what I mean.

So you want him to drive and dish at 1.8 and 1.3? I don't think I understand what you want him to do in that short of time. At his spot on the floor, the locations his teammates were, the time on the clock, the drive and dish which I responded to your post with were just impossible.

The options were, take the shot he did, or drive which I think we've all seen Cooney's skills at driving are. I'll take the somewhat open shot as the best look and play the guy was going to get out of all of this.

So you want him to drive and dish at 1.8 and 1.3? I don't think I understand what you want him to do in that short of time. At his spot on the floor, the locations his teammates were, the time on the clock, the drive and dish which I responded to your post with were just impossible.

The options were, take the shot he did, or drive which I think we've all seen Cooney's skills at driving are. I'll take the somewhat open shot as the best look and play the guy was going to get out of all of this.

Cooney releases his 3 pt shoot at the 02.1 mark. It strikes the rim at 01.1. Had Cooney instead aimed for Roberton, who was now right at the basket, Robertson could have directed it in (not caught it). A much higher percentage option.

If I knew how to do it, I would paste in the image at the 01.1 mark and it would be clear to you. In real time, I did not see that Robertson was so wide open, but in slo-mo it is very clear.

Cooney releases his 3 pt shoot at the 02.1 mark. It strikes the rim at 01.1. Had Cooney instead aimed for Roberton, who was now right at the basket, Robertson could have directed it in (not caught it). A much higher percentage option.

If I knew how to do it, I would paste in the image at the 01.1 mark and it would be clear to you. In real time, I did not see that Robertson was so wide open, but in slo-mo it is very clear.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the margin for error is at a greater percentage than the 33% chance Cooney's open shot goes in.

In your scenario you're banking Cooney makes a perfect pass, Roberson has a clean reception of the ball and the defender does nothing. So many moving parts in 2 seconds to make a perfect play or take around a 30% chance at a game winning shot. I think it comes down to personal preference and I'd take the 30% chance every time.

orange2win said:
Cooney releases his 3 pt shoot at the 02.1 mark. It strikes the rim at 01.1. Had Cooney instead aimed for Roberton, who was now right at the basket, Robertson could have directed it in (not caught it). A much higher percentage option. If I knew how to do it, I would paste in the image at the 01.1 mark and it would be clear to you. In real time, I did not see that Robertson was so wide open, but in slo-mo it is very clear.

It's too bad he didn't have the advantage of knowing the clock after the fact right down to the tenths like you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom