This just feels different. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This just feels different.

There is zero chance the season goes the same way with redshirt freshman Devito starting vs 4th year senior Dungey.

Oh for sure. No way they win 10 games. I was thinking more after that. The offense wouldn't have changed over like it did. He Mayne gets more comfortable behind the pocket. Maybe Sean Lewis doesn't leave as soon.

After 5 years of head scratching punts, head scratching FG’s, head scratching lack of preparedness, head scratching penalties, head scratching clock management, and head scratching time out usage, I think we all have our pitchforks and torches on speed dial. We all collectively have to move past our PDSD and a few games of Fran not doing those things will go a long way towards that.

that's a lot of head scratching, have you been checked for lice?

I would listen to the guys like Josh Pate over the national media that just base things off the prior year or don’t know enough to make a correct observation. Pate and the real CFB guys are opinions I would take every single time.

Who knows how things will turn out with Fran, but at least we have someone who is real. I was so sick of Dino’s BS coach speak i stopped listening to him anytime he spoke because it was lies, coach speak, and a waste of my time. Fran is a breathe of fresh air in that aspect.

I am a bit nervous how things turn out because it’s tough to gel quick, and we have a schedule where not as difficult as usual, it’s not quite as easy as we once thought. VT, Miami, NC St and GT/Cal will be tougher than originally thought. It’s still the easiest of schedules we will get so it’s imperative we have a big year (9+ W’s) because next years schedule will be a meat grinder. Kids don’t really care about 7 or 8 wins. We might as well be winning 4 games. That doesn’t open eyes. Flirting in and and of the top 25 and winning big games changes the perception of the program. Just read recent commits interviews and how they have confidence Fran will turn things around. Winning 7 and 6 games and going back to back bowls was absolutely nothing.
Regardless of how difficult it will be, the national press will be working overtime on their SEC/B1G circle jerk. The only way that changes is if other ACC teams win their OOC games against those conferences.

Dino froze during critical times. Thank God he wasn't a 1st luitenant during a war.

It is going to be very interesting to see how Fran handles those situations, being a first-time head coach. We don't have much of an idea of how he'll do in real in-game situations. That being said, it can't be worse than what we saw out of Dino the last few years.

People will be ready to rip him apart after a loss. Thats the nature of sports.

This job wears people down, and we don't even have a tough media.

This era feels more like Marrone in terms of culture and stressing physicality.

Dino came in more with we're going to go faster with an offense you've never seen before. Which was great, until he realized he couldn't recruit to it and became a game manager just trying to survive.

Hope it works out. Given the current landscape, results have to come quicker.

It is going to be very interesting to see how Fran handles those situations, being a first-time head coach. We don't have much of an idea of how he'll do in real in-game situations. That being said, it can't be worse than what we saw out of Dino the last few years.
Big difference in a coach saying dream about an explosive fast paced offense, and Fran stating " We are going to run the ball, and stop the run.
One living in fantasyland, and another, who knows you win battles upfront.
Fran realizes if you can do those 2 things, everything else will fall in place.

Big difference in a coach saying dream about an explosive fast paced offense, and Fran stating " We are going to run the ball, and stop the run.
One living in fantasyland, and another, who knows you win battles upfront.
Fran realizes if you can do those 2 things, everything else will fall in place.

Agreed, but coaching philosophy and actual in-game coaching/managing/adjusting are two very different things, and I'm interested to see how he handles the latter.

I think we sometimes overlook some of his important program building moves like bringing in the former players to support the program. The greatest free asset available.
Brilliant simple move.
Wisdom beyond his years.

It's definitely going to take some time for HCFB to get acclimated on the field as a HC. There will be some learning on the job for many of the coaches. I just hope the learning curve does not result in losing to teams that we should beat. I expect the Ohio game to be closer than many for this reason alone. The GT game is huge.

Fran was hired to do exactly what he has done so far, and that was the known entity, the biggest questions on the entire staff will be answered rather quickly. Is it going to take time or does he hit the ground running. I have no idea.

I loved the hire but it's a HUGE gamble with regard to gameday, we shall see.

I think Fran understands what it takes to be successful at Syracuse, can he pull it off is the question. I don't think much has surprised him at this point at all. I don't see any deer in the headlights type stuff but gameday is a different animal. Honestly, I just hope both units look cohesive and organized with a solid plan as to what they are going to run.

Last edited:
After 5 years of head scratching punts, head scratching FG’s, head scratching lack of preparedness, head scratching penalties, head scratching clock management, and head scratching time out usage, I think we all have our pitchforks and torches on speed dial. We all collectively have to move past our PDSD and a few games of Fran not doing those things will go a long way towards that.
I'm not a Dr. but I think you need an effective and high quality dandruff shampoo.

It's definitely going to take some time for HCFB to get acclimated on the field as a HC. There will be some learning on the job for many of the coaches. I just hope the learning curve does not result in losing to teams that we should beat. I expect the Ohio game to be closer than many for this reason alone. The GT game is huge.

Fran was hired to do exactly what he has done so far, and that was the known entity, the biggest questions on the entire staff will be answered rather quickly. Is it going to take time or does he hit the ground running. I have no idea.

I think Fran understands what it takes to be successful at Syracuse, can he pull it off is the question. I don't think much has surprised him at this point at all. I don't see any deer in the headlights type stuff but gameday is a different animal. Honestly, I just hope both units look cohesive and organized with a solid plan as to what they are going to run.
GT is a huge game. I don’t expect Ohio to be close though. We are vastly superior at every position. I actually expect us to run a ton against Ohio. My expectation is over 200 yards rushing. I think we will lean on the big guys and keep the game plan vanilla. I could see a lower scoring game because of that but I’d still expect the margin to be 3 touchdowns. Ohio has one defensive lineman over 290 lbs and he is a redshirt senior who has logged no stats in his career. Their defensive ends are small. Expecting a bludgeoning at the LOS.

GT is a huge game. I don’t expect Ohio to be close though. We are vastly superior at every position. I actually expect us to run a ton against Ohio. My expectation is over 200 yards rushing. I think we will lean on the big guys and keep the game plan vanilla. I could see a lower scoring game because of that but I’d still expect the margin to be 3 touchdowns. Ohio has one defensive lineman over 290 lbs and he is a redshirt senior who has logged no stats in his career. Their defensive ends are small. Expecting a bludgeoning at the LOS.
I don't know how good Malachi James is going to be, but he does bring one thing to the table we haven't had probably since Tebucky Jones. A football player with breakaway speed.
If Fran can just find spots to play him in games you have someone who can put pressure on a defense, because if he gets a step he"s gone.

this team is 10000x better roster wise, coordinator wise and coach wise than last year. I love they getting no respect. If that team last year won 6 games, this is going to be a 9/10 win season. This schedule is easy and to start with 4 home games is amazing. They don’t leave Syracuse from now until October. That’s quite an advantage for any team
I actually thought our OC and DC's the past couple of years were good. The problems in Dino's tenure had nothing to do with them and everything to do with lack of OL/backup QB recruiting and discipline on the field

Last edited:

I’m not sure way people are acting like the assistants have this big learning curve. Nixon was co-oc at Baylor, and had play calling duties in the nfl. Johnson has been a coordinator previously. Robinson was co-dc at a&m. Lb coach was dc at Buffalo. These guys have put together game plans and called games for years.
Fran may have never been a head coach or coordinator but that does not guarantee success. He is extremely detailed oriented. He is constantly describing things he is working on. He acknowledge the team has not faced adversity and has been trying to come up with situations in camp to simulate those situations. Down 14 how do you respond and others.
In game adjustments will be interesting to see but I have confidence that Fran will make the right moves.

Great post, nailed it.

Brown has won the offseason. That's awesome, given that we rarely do that at SU. Obviously now he has to win the season. I suspect that's going to be a lot tougher since it calls on him to flex muscles he's never used before.

The schedule is favorable and it seems that we have more quality and depth than we've had in a while. So there's reason to be optimistic.

Still, it won't be easy and much more experienced coaches have flopped in similar circumstances.

I’m not sure way people are acting like the assistants have this big learning curve. Nixon was co-oc at Baylor, and had play calling duties in the nfl. Johnson has been a coordinator previously. Robinson was co-dc at a&m. Lb coach was dc at Buffalo. These guys have put together game plans and called games for years.
Fran may have never been a head coach or coordinator but that does not guarantee success. He is extremely detailed oriented. He is constantly describing things he is working on. He acknowledge the team has not faced adversity and has been trying to come up with situations in camp to simulate those situations. Down 14 how do you respond and others.
In game adjustments will be interesting to see but I have confidence that Fran will make the right moves.
Don't think Elijah ever called the plays.

I don't know how good Malachi James is going to be, but he does bring one thing to the table we haven't had probably since Tebucky Jones. A football player with breakaway speed.
If Fran can just find spots to play him in games you have someone who can put pressure on a defense, because if he gets a step he"s gone.
Erv Phillips had that kind of speed

I know we like Fran and the staff and new approaches. DART. All good.

But the difference starts with players. We have a top RB, OG, McCord, a good WR unit, big OTs and veteran depth in all OL spots. We have Diggs, Wax, Barron, Clark, Chestnut and more size in the DL. Of course this is different than last year.

Although i appreciate the optimism of the OP, i feel the same thing will happen quickly if we are successful or dare to say too successful. Half of these coaches will be gone quick (cherry picked by other programs) which may or may not include the main man himself Fran.

I remember when Dino was successful in 2018, everyone was talking about how he was about to be poached by programs like Miami etc. Until we become a top top program again, we will always be a feeder team to the bigger fish in the college football world.

I’m willing to bet several of my body parts and probably my next year of rent that the penalty issues go away this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom