This just feels different. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This just feels different.

Although i appreciate the optimism of the OP, i feel the same thing will happen quickly if we are successful or dare to say too successful. Half of these coaches will be gone quick (cherry picked by other programs) which may or may not include the main man himself Fran.

I remember when Dino was successful in 2018, everyone was talking about how he was about to be poached by programs like Miami etc. Until we become a top top program again, we will always be a feeder team to the bigger fish in the college football world.
Cross that road when it happens. As for assistants this would be the case at virtually any school except a few. They will move on yes and that is fine.

GT is a huge game. I don’t expect Ohio to be close though. We are vastly superior at every position. I actually expect us to run a ton against Ohio. My expectation is over 200 yards rushing. I think we will lean on the big guys and keep the game plan vanilla. I could see a lower scoring game because of that but I’d still expect the margin to be 3 touchdowns. Ohio has one defensive lineman over 290 lbs and he is a redshirt senior who has logged no stats in his career. Their defensive ends are small. Expecting a bludgeoning at the LOS.
Ohio was ranked 4th in total defense last year. I get MAC, but they aren’t Western Michigan . Ohio was the only team on the schedule that held opponents to less than 5yds per play last year.

I guess there is a solid foundation regardless of roster turnover.

If they smoke these guys it’s a good sign, it won’t be beating on a baby seal.

I actually thought our OC and DC's the past couple of years were good. The problems in Dino's tenure had nothing to do with them and everything to do with lack of OL/backup QB recruiting and discipline on the field
Who is our defensive coordinator this year or is it by committee?

Although i appreciate the optimism of the OP, i feel the same thing will happen quickly if we are successful or dare to say too successful. Half of these coaches will be gone quick (cherry picked by other programs) which may or may not include the main man himself Fran.

I remember when Dino was successful in 2018, everyone was talking about how he was about to be poached by programs like Miami etc. Until we become a top top program again, we will always be a feeder team to the bigger fish in the college football world.

I completely get what you're saying but I'd rather they leave because they were so successful than be fired because they weren't.

If we win 8 games it will be better than most pundits predictions. However, I am hopeful we can win more than 4 ACC games. That is the real test and it won't be easy.

GT and Stanford early might be a challenge for our new players, coaches and new offensive and defensive systems.

We will get better as the season progresses and BC, Pitt, Cal, VT are doable while NCS and Miami less so.

A lot depends on how well the OLine jells. If we can run on everyone we can beat any team on the schedule.

Would be great to knock off Miami at home in the season finale.

If we win 8 games it will be better than most pundits predictions. However, I am hopeful we can win more than 4 ACC games. That is the real test and it won't be easy.

GT and Stanford early might be a challenge for our new players, coaches and new offensive and defensive systems.

We will get better as the season progresses and BC, Pitt, Cal, VT are doable while NCS and Miami less so.

A lot depends on how well the OLine jells. If we can run on everyone we can beat any team on the schedule.

Would be great to knock off Miami at home in the season finale.
Stanford is awful, 132 out of 133 in total defense , gave up 63 tds, most in all of FBS.

It's definitely going to take some time for HCFB to get acclimated on the field as a HC. There will be some learning on the job for many of the coaches. I just hope the learning curve does not result in losing to teams that we should beat. I expect the Ohio game to be closer than many for this reason alone. The GT game is huge.

Fran was hired to do exactly what he has done so far, and that was the known entity, the biggest questions on the entire staff will be answered rather quickly. Is it going to take time or does he hit the ground running. I have no idea.

I loved the hire but it's a HUGE gamble with regard to gameday, we shall see.

I think Fran understands what it takes to be successful at Syracuse, can he pull it off is the question. I don't think much has surprised him at this point at all. I don't see any deer in the headlights type stuff but gameday is a different animal. Honestly, I just hope both units look cohesive and organized with a solid plan as to what they are going to run.
Totally disagree on Brown being a huge gamble in regards to game day. Yes he may have a learning curve but he has a staff of experienced coaches that he has shown already that he will listen too. So many coaches make questionable decisions during games. I don’t think he will be any worse than the last two coaches and will likely be better right at the start.

It feels different because it is but it isn't. For those of us who have been around long enough it actually feels good. Feels familiar. Syracuse was very different in the 90s. Before that in the 60s with Ben. Fran is old school. He's one of us. He's got the Ben, Mac, P, George, JB, vibe.
No BS, straight forward, hard nosed approach. I actually think he might be closest to Mac who was tough love and relied on a great staff.
I really respect Fran for admitting that he is leaning on his experienced coaches. Leaning on JW, leaning on Herm. Most importantly being open about his anxieties. His fears. Love that he puts himself last. Puts God first the S second players coaches and community before himself. Prides himself on listening vs talking. Is real about teaching the guys life's important skills. I keep repeating myself but he is a special person. I believe before he's done that he is going to go down as a great coach. Guys like him, unless they lose their way dont fail.
Playing to Win vs. not to Lose will make a difference.

That’s a pretty low bar to clear. I’d hope we are aiming higher than just better than those 2.
Yes and hiring a coach with no head coaching experience is always a gamble. Nobody has a clue what this staff will look like on gameday.

we have a first time D coordinator and an O coordinator who was a RB for the NYG last year. It’s a big gamble

GT has as much talent as any team in the ACC and their
QB is the real deal. They will be a very tough out
I have countless dollars on them beating FSU early on

I kind of expect him to play lots of True Freshman in key spots of games. That's going to help him continue to recruit top end talent. You will play if you come here, and play in big spots, and will be expected to produce.

Yes and hiring a coach with no head coaching experience is always a gamble. Nobody has a clue what this staff will look like on gameday.

we have a first time D coordinator and an O coordinator who was a RB for the NYG last year. It’s a big gamble
I remember many felt surprised by the P hire.
The game is about a few different elements. Syracuse is rarely going to win games against teams with superior talent by out coaching them. Jimmy's and Joe's are usually the deciding factor.
Fran is one person who can single handily change the player talent equation. One person with no head coaching background, yet he and his staff of recruiters have dramatically increased in 7 months our talent.
Coaching is more than X and Os.
If Greg Robinson had Georgia talent we might have a statue of him outside the JMA.
I get your take but my two cents is Fran will become a solid head coach faster than most other coaches become the best recruiter.

I kind of expect him to play lots of True Freshman in key spots of games. That's going to help him continue to recruit top end talent. You will play if you come here, and play in big spots, and will be expected to produce.
I do not see him playing a lot of true freshman. I feel that is why he brought in so many transfers. The only freshman I see getting any real run is Willis (rb), Barnes (cb) and maybe James on special teams because of his speed. Watson on the (DL) may get more minutes as the season goes on. Willis, Watson Barnes were early enrollees.

I do not see him playing a lot of true freshman. I feel that is why he brought in so many transfers. The only freshman I see getting any real run is Willis (rb), Barnes (cb) and maybe James on special teams because of his speed. Watson on the (DL) may get more minutes as the season goes on. Willis, Watson Barnes were early enrollees.
Jakhari will see snaps
Hornsby and Tremble too

Willis is a given as backing up LQA. Barnes, probably. Edwards, maybe. I’d like to see James get a shot at kick returns. Maybe a freshman WR emerges as a backup.

Who else after that?

This team on the field is going to be heavily upperclassmen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom