This offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This offense

There’s a lot more to offense than shooting the 3. If Bell can “shoot” but can’t dribble, pass, drive, move without the ball, etc….how often will he actually be helping us on offense?

Give me the guy who can finish efficiently around the basket, outlet pass, and be in the right spots in Brown, and the guy who can handle the ball, pass, and maybe get in the lane and score a little and maybe be in the right place for some garbage points in Copeland at this point.
Also should add - if Brown can keep looking up the court like that, and we have 3 guys in the game capable of pushing the ball in transition - we might be able to get some transition hoops - helping offset the struggles our lack of outside shooting will cause in the halfcourt?

Bell looks like a “zone buster”. If it’s a halfcourt game where the other team is in a zone, put him in and hope he hits a few?

I started watching yesterday’s game with the intent on focusing on Bell, to see exactly what he was doing. Well, that lasted only briefly, as he did exactly nothing and was pulled and didn’t see the court until Late.

I‘m not seeing how he will contribute. Granted, it’s early, amd people are recalling that Southerland and Nichols didn’t play much/well as frosh. But, didn’t we see signs from them? Commitment to doing something? Bunch is like Mookie Jones but without the passion. It really feels like he has a guarantee of a start, but the rest is up to performance, and that may put more pressure on him than if he were brought up and along in a less contrived manner.

But, yeah—Brown. What can Brown do for you? A little of everything—except the long ball. And that’s the problem—he won’t space the court. But, everything else. He came in and after the first (bad) defensive possession, he had three consecutive fantastic plays. A contributor. I don’t know what his ceiling is, though. Could very well be that he‘s a shower and not a grower, and this is close to ‘it.’ But he could also be the next utility knife and a stronger Marek. If he gets a jumper, look out.

I really hope Bell hits a few 3s to build himself back up. Justin “Jason” Taylor hit a beaut yesterday, and that was tremendously encouraging. It is said that he hits everything in warmups, with perfect form. How is Bell in practice and warmups? Are his game struggles reflective of his practices? Is this something likely to just ‘click’ one day and then he’s Reggie Miller? I’m not convinced. I fear he’ll be our first defection. I hope he’s being managed properly—psyche and expectations. And, again, I don’t think the starting role is right—not at this point. Maybe he could regain it, but right now, it hasn’t been earned.

Benny is coming along..it’s tough to see because of the ridiculous pedestal he was put on but he’s still learning this game. He’s got some elite characteristics that put him ahead of most high schoolers but he’s still a baby learning the game on a totally different stage/level. Let’s see how he progresses in the non conference
leading rebounder and most steals vs Northeastern...so...he is doing something out there...

needs to get open shots and stop settling for contested double pumpers

hes a dunker!! need to get him some easy buckets...shouldnt be that hard

True, that said... you have to correctly run through a screen and not leave a huge gap between the runner and the screener.
yeah thats not asking for the moon, though...simply basic elementary level basketball

leading rebounder and most steals vs Northeastern...so...he is doing something out there...

needs to get open shots and stop settling for contested double pumpers

hes a dunker!! need to get him some easy buckets...shouldnt be that hard
3-8 with 2 turnovers. I think all his hoops were in the last few minutes in garbage time.

He doesn’t typically do the little things and get points in the flow or off garbage points. He tries to take people off the dribble or hit contested off the dribble mid range jumpers….and he has like a 10% success rate. It’s almost always a missed shot or a turnover.

I’m officially concerned.

It’s just disappointing that Brown, a freshman off the bench, seems to be so much more effective than Benny, a sophomore starter
Brown does a lot of important little things and lets the game come to him. He’s also a really good defender and has shown he can get deflections and steals. Benny is a really high level athlete who needs to gain more confidence and play more physical and not force things. He looked better in the second half. I didn’t mind them both playing together along the back line. If only Brown had Bell’s 3-point shooting ability. Bell has been a real disappointment. He doesn’t do any of the important little things. He needs to really rebound and play defense so we can get him on the floor for his 3-point shooting.

I like Jim showing confidence in Williams. If the coach has confidence, maybe that will translate to the kid.

Certainly he didn't seem to have a lot in the presser...

Benny is coming along..it’s tough to see because of the ridiculous pedestal he was put on but he’s still learning this game. He’s got some elite characteristics that put him ahead of most high schoolers but he’s still a baby learning the game on a totally different stage/level. Let’s see how he progresses in the non conference
He’s coming along at a pace that would require a ten year stint at SU

It’s just disappointing that Brown, a freshman off the bench, seems to be so much more effective than Benny, a sophomore starter
No pressure on Brown he was a 3 star recruit..love what he’s doing. Didn’t expect him to be this poised and ready to play

I’m more concerned about Benny than I am Joe. Joe’s doing what JB wants him to do like it or not.
No . JB has mentioned some of his bad shots

I like Jim showing confidence in Williams. If the coach has confidence, maybe that will translate to the kid.
Benny is an elite athlete but truly lacks elite basketball skills. He’s a low bball IQ guy. Not sure he’ll ever get there.

I keep seeing that Benny has “Elite” athletic ability & attributes… if you can’t/don’t utilize that in game, what’s the point?

Remember when Jeremi Grant played? Dude was gangly & at times just looked uncoordinated, but I could pull up 5-6 ridiculous, top 10 worthy athletic dunks & put-backs, in traffic on people’s heads stuff. Benny has never, in a year+ of play, even come CLOSE to an eye opening athleticism offensive play.

He’s the 4th scoring option on offense due to his own limitations, he’s a decent athlete, decent rebounder & decent defender. I haven’t seen anything that points to this alleged “elite” athleticism being opined about.

P.S. If I see another post with the line “just get him easy baskets” my head might explode. If any player in basketball can just get easy buckets on command, then coaches are going to run their whole offense through it… it’s not a thing.

i'll take 5 of 9 deep every night.
6E921C22-A76C-4E6E-AE62-7936474B429D.jpeg

Benny is a really good athlete just doesn't have the natual feel for basketball ...at some point this season Brown is going to force Boehiem hand as l'm sure promises were made to Benny so he wouldn't transfer.

If rankings didn’t exist you would think James Arthur was crazy for starting Williams and Bell. Taylor and Brown have looked much better IMO. Someone needs to step up soon and seize the job.

When Benny is on D he watches the ball and it’s like he has those blinders on that only let him see straight ahead. Brown is watching the ball as well but you can see he’s always keeping an eye on the corner (better peripheral vision) which allows him to react better to the ball movement. Some players can have a better feel and anticipate better than others - Brown seems to be that guy

When Benny is on D he watches the ball and it’s like he has those blinders on that only let him see straight ahead. Brown is watching the ball as well but you can see he’s always keeping an eye on the corner (better peripheral vision) which allows him to react better to the ball movement. Some players can have a better feel and anticipate better than others - Brown seems to be that guy
I haven’t been impressed with the IMG coaches to be honest. Oak Hill and Montverde kids seem MUCH more prepared for college basketball.
Brown has a great sense on defense but appears to have been well trained and coached too.

As far as Joe and running around like Cooney and Rautins - not sure he has the lungs for it. I’ve seen him go for his puffer (especially Colgate game) during games. He’s always been chucker - his shot looks better this yr though - when BB shot you had a feeling it was going in and watching Joe this yr vs last few it ‘feels’ better if that makes sense. That said he does seem like a guy who likes to get his points

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom