This play by Jalen Carey | Syracusefan.com

This play by Jalen Carey

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
Big time play. This is what you see from upperclass, all-ACC guards. This is why he was such a big get for Syracuse. Would like to see him do this more consistently. Sometimes he seems too fast for his own good. Needs to continue to learn to harness his speed and play more controlled.

Last edited:
Another example of scouting services being clueless when it comes to basketball evaluation.

Jahvon Quinnerly was top 30 and had had his minutes cut because he looks a mess when he has played for Nova and Carey wasn’t even top 60.

Evan Daniels, Corey Evans, and Jerry Meyer need their eyes checked.

People have commented that Carey seems frustrated by his playing time, but I love that he has a chance to be an apprentice this year. He's exactly the kind of raw talent that will benefit from being brought along slowly. He clearly has the tools to improve greatly over the next couple of years.

He doesn't really seem frustrated to me and if he is he should've went to buttgers. One thing stood out to me last night, when he got yanked and received and epic JB azz chewing for his ridiculous ill advised 20 footer, he stood right there, made some eye contact and took it. Reading lips he was clearly saying "i know" and nodding his head up and down. He was being scolded and he was accepting it. He didn't pout, he didn't go to the end of the bench and sulk, he took it like a man. I thought that was big of him.

He'll learn and then he'll get more minutes.

He doesn't really seem frustrated to me and if he is he should've went to buttgers. One thing stood out to me last night, when he got yanked and received and epic JB azz chewing for his ridiculous ill advised 20 footer, he stood right there, made some eye contact and took it. Reading lips he was clearly saying "i know" and nodding his head up and down. He was being scolded and he was accepting it. He didn't pout, he didn't go to the end of the bench and sulk, he took it like a man. I thought that was big of him.

He'll learn and then he'll get more minutes.

Agree. The shot was just as much about milking clock than anything else, too.

Big time play. This is what you see from upperclass, all-ACC guards. This is why he was such a big get for Syracuse. Would like to see him do this more consistently. Sometimes he seems to fast for his own good. Needs to continue to learn to harness his speed and play more controlled.
I thought the best part of that move was that it wasn't some sort of ego injection that led to him trying to finish the play himself. A lot of immature players (and some veterans) would have felt the need to finish by scoring themselves. That dish-off was sweet. Smart. Sophisticated.

Last edited:
Other than the bad shot, I felt like he played a really good floor game. Probably the most point guardy game he's had. Head was up, he was looking for people.
Agreed. He moved the ball really well and played within himself for the most part. Having Frank back is huge, but we didn't miss a beat when he went out due to foul trouble in the first half thanks to JC.

He’s so quick he moves like a deer out there. I’m surprised how high he gets rebounding. I mistook him for oshae on one last night. His anticipation on plays is acute. He may have the highest bb I q out there for us.

I wanted to see some run of Jalen and Frank out there together. Maybe, that was a no can do last night because of Frank's foul trouble, but it would be interesting for future games.

jalen has been criticized for his passing. I think he has shown good court vision, problem, IMHO, is just one of experience and not yet being able to intergrate his own takes with looking for others. he is playing too black and white in that regard. It will come in time.

I wanted to see some run of Jalen and Frank out there together. Maybe, that was a no can do last night because of Frank's foul trouble, but it would be interesting for future games.

jalen has been criticized for his passing. I think he has shown good court vision, problem, IMHO, is just one of experience and not yet being able to intergrate his own takes with looking for others. he is playing too black and white in that regard. It will come in time.
I would love to see Frank and Jalen for a few minutes, too. (Said it in the game thread) Doesn't seem likely now, as Tyus seems to be back in 40 minute mode. At least in tight games.

I would love to see Frank and Jalen for a few minutes, too. (Said it in the game thread) Doesn't seem likely now, as Tyus seems to be back in 40 minute mode. At least in tight games.
Ty can play some three if it turns out that Jalen and Frank work well together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom