This program needs talent | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This program needs talent

This game wasn't lost due to talent, it was due to coaching. The fact that this loss is being blamed on "talent" is utterly laughable.

We msy have only thrown 2 balls over the middle that I can remember. What was the point of bringing in Ravian Pierce if you don't give him the ball over the middle. Almost every play it is either a dive up the middle or a short pass outside. There is the occasional deep ball or end-around but the play calling today was predictable. When the game plan was obviously not working there was absolutely no alteration to it outside of a few Dungey runs up the middle. I think we had one slant thrown all game and it was a drop by Custis in the first quarter. I think Elmore had only one carry of no yardage (and the play was poorly designed) but every other carry was for positive yardage. We are at the 4 yard line after an interception and he is not involved. We ended up losing three yards in 3 plays and kicking a field goal.

We won the time of possession, turnover, and penalty yardage battles against a conference USA oppononent at home and still lost by 7.

On a side note, I like Dino Babers and still am fully behind him. Just because I fully support him doesn't mean I am going to ignore the fact that he and his staff got out-coached today. How he responds from this loss will say a lot about him and the rest of this season.

This game wasn't lost due to talent, it was due to coaching. The fact that this loss is being blamed on "talent" is utterly laughable.

We msy have only thrown 2 balls over the middle that I can remember. What was the point of bringing in Ravian Pierce if you don't give him the ball over the middle. Almost every play it is either a dive up the middle or a short pass outside. There is the occasional deep ball or end-around but the play calling today was predictable. When the game plan was obviously not working there was absolutely no alteration to it outside of a few Dungey runs up the middle. I think we had one slant thrown all game and it was a drop by Custis in the first quarter. I think Elmore had only one carry of no yardage (and the play was poorly designed) but every other carry was for positive yardage. We are at the 4 yard line after an interception and he is not involved. We ended up losing three yards in 3 plays and kicking a field goal.

We won the time of possession, turnover, and penalty yardage battles against a conference USA oppononent at home and still lost by 7.

On a side note, I like Dino Babers and still am fully behind him. Just because I fully support him doesn't mean I am going to ignore the fact that he and his staff got out-coached today. How he responds from this loss will say a lot about him and the rest of this season.
I wasn't talking about this game I was talking about the program.

The NFL draft tells you about the talent on your roster.
You look at team like LSU they have been stocked with talent but underachieve.

Syracuse hasn't had a non punter drafted in 3 years. That is talent. Syracuse has had a roster closer to that of a G5 school than a P5 school.

We have less talent than G5 schools.

It's a fact.

Auburn has given up double digit sacks to Clemson tonight.

Super excited to see how we fare.

Dino is bringing in talent.
The younger players on this roster are talented.

Next year's recruiting class has talent.

We need Dino to hold onto that class and develop the young talent on this roster.

Plain and simple talent has been a major problem at Syracuse for awhile. Dino is working on it.

Omg, all of you close to Dino, its obvious Dino is bullet proof when it comes to criticism. Give me a break, we had more talent on every unit today. Football is about scheming and offense is about deception and setting up plays. The play calling was high school bad today. yea, ED wasnt on but we ran pass after pass to the flat. We ran derivatives of about 4 or 5 plays today. Second week of camp simplicity offense working on reps. We didnt challenge middle or deep. This is 100% in Dino and he owned it, you should too. He was Grob bad today. Also, the combination of our schemes continues to be unproven at the P5 level. Without an early lead, our D will get gassed. Even in a back and forth game as today was, well, whatever that 4 hrs was.

ACC teams short on talent beat Conference USA teams at home quite often. Excuse is getting old. Didn't wash for GROB, Marrone, Shafer and won't wash for Dino. Scheme and coach them up

AMEN.

I won't disput that the recruiting class is better than we have had in a while, but that doesn't excuse Babers or staff from performing this way today. 4th and 1 and kicking really makes me wonder how confident he is in the players he has. We have a serious problem at rb and even more of a problem with no deep threat. Losing to middle Tennessee state at home...I'm sorry there is no excuse for it. Worse loss since idk I'll think of one soon enough

It was just 2 seasons ago that many people were adamant that we had to retain Shafer because of the great recruiting he had going on.

Guess they were dead wrong?

The players loved him though.

I don't really have much to contribute in the "talent" argument but this MTSU team did beat an SEC team last year.

Omg, all of you close to Dino, its obvious Dino is bullet proof when it comes to criticism. Give me a break, we had more talent on every unit today. Football is about scheming and offense is about deception and setting up plays. The play calling was high school bad today. yea, ED wasnt on but we ran pass after pass to the flat. We ran derivatives of about 4 or 5 plays today. Second week of camp simplicity offense working on reps. We didnt challenge middle or deep. This is 100% in Dino and he owned it, you should too. He was Grob bad today. Also, the combination of our schemes continues to be unproven at the P5 level. Without an early lead, our D will get gassed. Even in a back and forth game as today was, well, whatever that 4 hrs was.

I agree with much of what you said, but, I don't think anybody can look somebody in the face and declare that we have more talent than MTSU at WR, RB, and perhaps DB. Their RB showed moves and a burst that our guys simply do not have (where was Pierre?). Their WRs completely outclassed the SU secondary. It was over when that QB had some time. Their #81 is good too. We still have a ways to go with those positions.

It was just 2 seasons ago that many people were adamant that we had to retain Shafer because of the great recruiting he had going on.

Guess they were dead wrong?

Pound for pound they were great recruits.

They were just less pounds and less tall than everyone else's recruits.

I'm hanging my hat on the two 4 star O Tackles. If they both actually arrive here and develop things get more interesting. If they don't then maybe they won't.

Our offense seems completely predictable and that's disheartening.

The fact you said GRob loses all credibility.

Shafer people make it hard to deal with reality.

Name one recruit on this current roster that will be drafted to the NFL that was recruited by Scott Shafer?

I don't really have much to contribute in the "talent" argument but this MTSU team did beat an SEC team last year.

They also got drubbed by a mediocre SEC team this year.

We have enough talent to beat MTSU.

Losing Cordy hurt because he'd be back there to catch that punt. Players have to step up and a lot didn't yesterday but playing as poorly as they did they still had a chance to tie the game at the end and unfortunately didn't. Learn from this and make it a lesson to improve or mope and crush your season...I hope this team gets angry and starts to punish other teams in frustration...especially the OL.

They also got drubbed by a mediocre SEC team this year.

We have enough talent to beat MTSU.
Anybody who can not see how good Vanderbilt has become isn't really good at assessing football talent.

I don't know I thought the defense was great until they ran out of gas the last 3 possessions. I put just as much blame on the offense for that as the defense. Slayton was an animal the whole game. I thought Martin, Butler and Foster were excellent. Fredericks got beat once, but I will take him going forward. This one is on the offense.
Our defense was on the field for 60 snaps. Their defense was on the field for 90 snaps.

Tempo was not the issue, it's a misinformed scapegoat.

I'm sorry but you lost credibility when you stated UMASS was good and going to start 4-0...
I put things out there, I own UMASS. Sometimes teams get use to mediocrity and losing and sometimes there is a change and they become winners.

So the 98% of the board that picked us to win yesterday?

You thought we'd lose, right?
No, I thought it would be a tough game and SU would get a close home win. I don't think this loss is some catastrophe. MTSU is the largest state school in TN and it is in the Nashville metro area which is the capital of TN and the fastest growing metro area in the country. So I believe they are becoming a higher level program. To me, Coach Babers is going to need more time and there will be bumps in the road. Stay calm and fan on.

The fact you said GRob loses all credibility.

Shafer people make it hard to deal with reality.

Name one recruit on this current roster that will be drafted to the NFL that was recruited by Scott Shafer?

Shafer people? Really? Yes, i respect the man and miss his defense. Most on this board would kill for his style of D.

NFL players recruited by Shafer ? So we need NFL talent to compete? Teams like MTSU do it with very good talent, and scheme like crazy. Thats where we should be right now. But our coaches have failed at that.

As far as SS recruits with a shot:
1.Stayton
2.ED if coached and handled properly. Lester actually had ED on a better trajectory
3. Erv
4. Conway
5. Custis
6. Franklin

Shafer people? Really? Yes, i respect the man and miss his defense. Most on this board would kill for his style of D.

NFL players recruited by Shafer ? So we need NFL talent to compete? Teams like MTSU do it with very good talent, and scheme like crazy. Thats where we should be right now. But our coaches have failed at that.

As far as SS recruits with a shot:
1.Stayton - Possibly
2.ED if coached and handled properly. Lester actually had ED on a better trajectory - No
3. Erv - NO
4. Conway - Not a chance
5. Custis - LOL
6. Franklin- Love him, but no

Love weeding out the loyalists