This recruiting class | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This recruiting class

What are the odds that if Rutgers goes 2-10 again or even 3-9 Ash gets canned?

That could open up some doors for us later in the game especially if Rutgers lands some of the DL we've targeted like Tyler Friday or Earlington.

Extremely slim. They're still paying Flood.

I don't think they were paying Flood very much.
I think it was around $800,000

Edit ...he did get an extension which put him above $1.1 million and he was owed $1.4 million which is now I believed no longer owed as he want to the Falcons to coach the o-line in 2016

Last edited:
They are broke

And they are looking at best 4-8 this year and 4-8 next year, more likely both years at 3-9.

Keep him ... Please

Edit. 2020 they play @ UCLA and Temple ooc. So. Yeah the sickness will continue

Last edited:
I think it was around $800,000

Edit ...he did get an extension which put him above $1.1 million and he was owed $1.4 million which is now I believed no longer owed as he want to the Falcons to coach the o-line in 2016
He would be owed the difference between whatever is left on his $1.4m buyout (paid bi weekly from 2015-2019) and whatever Atlanta is paying him.
upload_2017-8-26_18-24-6.png

upload_2017-8-26_18-28-3.png

They are broke

And they are looking at best 4-8 this year and 4-8 next year, more likely both years at 3-9.

Keep him ... Please

Edit. 2020 they play @ UCLA and Temple ooc. So. Yeah the sickness will continue

Actually that's probably the better angle. He becomes their GRob or Terry Shea Part 2 and we basically can poach recruits (if we want them) whether he stays or goes.

Back in the mid to late Schiano days, for the most part if kids like Trill, Qadir or Taj Harris, if not going to PSU, were going to Rutgers. We'd get a Reddish here, a Morgan or Strickland there, but we didn't do that well with downstate and Jersey kids that both programs truly wanted. That worm has turned. A winning season this year for us and another losing one for them pretty much seals it.

One aspect of this recruiting class that I think is really being slept on is the running backs. Hall and Jordan are absolute blurs in the open field and both will fit in tremendously. Akeem Dixon is a good strong runner from the Sunshine state, where great football is always being played. Love Hall tho, I think he could contribute right away.

One aspect of this recruiting class that I think is really being slept on is the running backs. Hall and Jordan are absolute blurs in the open field and both will fit in tremendously. Akeem Dixon is a good strong runner from the Sunshine state, where great football is always being played. Love Hall tho, I think he could contribute right away.

Hall is definitely the forgotten recruit in this class. Can he beat out Jordan? They are similar backs. I could see Hall backing up Jordan and seeing the field at KR.

Spent a little bit of time this morning compiling/wrapping my meager mind around the 17 and 18 classes together. Fun watching as the roster is made over in front of our eyes. Only counting players entering Sophomore or freshman years (excluding the JUCOs that are Jrs and Grad Transfers), we've apparently added 21.5 projected offensive players and 16.5 to the defense (I don't know which way A. Stritzinger will ultimately go?).

No defensive player is listed shorter than 6'0. Love the balance of intriguing skill position talent ( especially Ed Hendrix recently) and Oline big fellas with serious potential (headlined by T. Sampson who I think becomes a multiple year captain a la Zaire, along with Patrick Davis and Q. White). And obviously the biggest recruiting get in years in Tommy Devito at the most important position on the team. Pretty awesome last few weeks in recruiting, even with the news of Cam Jonas' ACL (fully worth scoring his commitment), two years to heal and learn the scheme. Can't wait to see how they finish this class. Agree in looking thingsbiver and knowing what we have currently that DT is the area of greatest need, hope they can sway some big nasty's our way, although Chris Elmore's DT tape was better than I remember, quick feet!

Hall is definitely the forgotten recruit in this class. Can he beat out Jordan? They are similar backs. I could see Hall backing up Jordan and seeing the field at KR.

Hall is a utility guy to. Besides rb, could play in the slot or in the secondary

And Dixon runs in the 11s for the hundred meter (at 225lbs) could be the sleeper of the class

Didn't Clemson have a former walk on guy like that last year? I think he had a great NC game.
Yes. Hunter Renfro. Caught the game winning T.D. to beat Bama. He's a real "gym rat", with a "high football IQ"

I don't think it's just about what's on the field. These kids are talking to many intriguing programs, some with better records..

I've heard the staff genuinely cares about the players. That's just something you can't bs about.. Kids hear the same sales pitch, day in, day out. Q said cuse called the most. Obviously, he liked the people he was talking to.

If it's true that they genuinely care.. ? (Seems to be the case) That's hard to fake. And it probably goes a long way, into winning recruiting battles, that you otherwise would have lost.

Well, to be fair, Shaffer had a great family vibe on his teams, too, and all the coaches had coached together before in the MAC, he hosted the pool parties at his house in the summer, etc.

But at the end of the day, Shaffer was still a defensive coach who wanted to win games 21-14, when the average college teams are scoring more than 30 points a game. He was a coach caught in the wrong era.

Well, to be fair, Shaffer had a great family vibe on his teams, too, and all the coaches had coached together before in the MAC, he hosted the pool parties at his house in the summer, etc.

But at the end of the day, Shaffer was still a defensive coach who wanted to win games 21-14, when the average college teams are scoring more than 30 points a game. He was a coach caught in the wrong era.
I don't think he wanted to win that way. I think he thought that was the only way he could win. If he had known enough and had the budget to hand the offense over to a Dino OC, I wonder if that would've been a formula that worked.

I don't think he wanted to win that way. I think he thought that was the only way he could win. If he had known enough and had the budget to hand the offense over to a Dino OC, I wonder if that would've been a formula that worked.

Well, it's not like he couldn't have picked a different OC. He was coach for 3 years and saw what didn't work.

Who's this Shaffer guy?

I don't think he wanted to win that way. I think he thought that was the only way he could win.
I don't believe that. His mentality was geared to help the defense and defer to their advantage.

It's not just him. A lot of coaches are wired that way.

Well, it's not like he couldn't have picked a different OC. He was coach for 3 years and saw what didn't work.
Sure. I didn't mean to make it sound like he didn't have the chance. To be fair he did end picking a different one. Maybe it was too late. Maybe it wasn't gonna work because the staff wasn't strong enough with recruiting. Maybe he could've found a Briles disciple or maybe there weren't enough available. Maybe we couldn't afford anyone better. It seems like Coyle dug deeper to pay Dino's staff than Gross was able to for previous staffs. Regardless, I like where we are now.

I don't believe that. His mentality was geared to help the defense and defer to their advantage.

It's not just him. A lot of coaches are wired that way.
I don't think any coach wants to keep their team's score low. They want to score a lot while forcing the other team to score a little. I don't think he had confidence that our offense could score and deferred to attempting to hold the other team down, especially when we were underdogs. The failing was not figuring out how to be a good offense. He tried to go up tempo initially but hired the wrong guy. Would Lester's scheme have worked out? In time he may have been better, but never as good as we have now. I like where we are and am excited about the future.

I don't think any coach wants to keep their team's score low. They want to score a lot while forcing the other team to score a little. I don't think he had confidence that our offense could score and deferred to attempting to hold the other team down, especially when we were underdogs. The failing was not figuring out how to be a good offense. He tried to go up tempo initially but hired the wrong guy. Would Lester's scheme have worked out? In time he may have been better, but never as good as we have now. I like where we are and am excited about the future.
I do think Shafer wanted low scores. He wanted to win 17 to 10.

Look, I know it's irrational. That's exactly the point I'm making. I think he coached irrationally. I don't think he wanted to see points on the board, by anybody.

Sure. I didn't mean to make it sound like he didn't have the chance. To be fair he did end picking a different one. Maybe it was too late. Maybe it wasn't gonna work because the staff wasn't strong enough with recruiting. Maybe he could've found a Briles disciple or maybe there weren't enough available. Maybe we couldn't afford anyone better. It seems like Coyle dug deeper to pay Dino's staff than Gross was able to for previous staffs. Regardless, I like where we are now.

When Shafer got hired, a lot of us expressed the opinion that his tenure was going to be defined by his choice of selection at OC. Clearly, that was his blind spot [despite him being a QB in college]. He chose poorly from the jump, hiring a career position coach to be his OC [yes, I know that McF##kit was an OC for 1 year prior to coming to SU, sandwiched around numerous stints as a WR coach].

I actually believe that Lester had potential, and might have worked out if given enough time. But as predicted up front, Shafer's tenure was defined by the selection he made at OC.

And I say that fully acknowledging that Shafer was a class act, and a heckuva role model. He just wasn't head coaching material -- exhibit A of the Peter Principle.

I do think Shafer wanted low scores. He wanted to win 17 to 10.

Look, I know it's irrational. That's exactly the point I'm making. I think he coached irrationally. I don't think he wanted to see points on the board, by anybody.
If that's the case, why did he hire an OC that was supposed to bring in a fast paced offense? Not saying it was a good hire, just that the goal of the hire was offense.

I just don't think he knew how to run a program. Initially the intent was there, just bad execution. Some guys are really good at one thing and can't translate that to another.

When Shafer got hired, a lot of us expressed the opinion that his tenure was going to be defined by his choice of selection at OC. Clearly, that was his blind spot [despite him being a QB in college]. He chose poorly from the jump, hiring a career position coach to be his OC [yes, I know that McF##kit was an OC for 1 year prior to coming to SU, sandwiched around numerous stints as a WR coach].

I actually believe that Lester had potential, and might have worked out if given enough time. But as predicted up front, Shafer's tenure was defined by the selection he made at OC.

And I say that fully acknowledging that Shafer was a class act, and a heckuva role model. He just wasn't head coaching material -- exhibit A of the Peter Principle.
I think you express my opinion better than me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom