This team just isn't that good. | Syracusefan.com

This team just isn't that good.

sufandu

Living Legend
Run blocking is atrocious. Pass blocking is shaky at best. Pass rush without the blitz is almost non-existant. Run defense is inconsistant. What's gonna happen when we play a decent FBS team? Would it help on offense if we completely abandoned the run and spread it out (grasping at straws)? Do we just lack talent?

I think that was our first running attempt in the last 15 plays.

Run blocking is atrocious. Pass blocking is shaky at best. Pass rush without the blitz is almost non-existant. Run defense is inconsistant. What's gonna happen when we play a decent FBS team? Would it help on offense if we completely abandoned the run and spread it out (grasping at straws)? Do we just lack talent?

Basically SU has found its level. They're not a BCS program anymore. They had a nice run last year while the league was down. Most these guys aren't D1 guys.

Was Bart that much better than Macky or was DC just that much of a beast last year?

wow... both o-line and d-line hard to watch

Basically SU has found its level. They're not a BCS program anymore. They had a nice run last year while the league was down. Most these guys aren't D1 guys.
Good vent, but probably an over-reaction.

It seems like we move the ball only when we need to. A classic sign of only playing to the level of your competition.

That last drive makes me think they may need to be a spread team this year. Go 4 and 5 wides and use short passes instead of a run game. Maybe that'll make it harder for teams to blitz too. I've always loved a team that can line up and punch the opponent in the mouth for 200yds or more on the ground, but this team will be hard pressed to average much over 125 the way they look now.

This is a rebuilding process. We get the scraps of recruits beating out Akron. Robinson destroyed the program and now we must build it back up from scratch. The talent is simply not there on the field although our qb looks legit. Regardless of how bad they are I will still support them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a rebuilding process. We get the scraps of recruits beating out Akron. Robinson destroyed the program and now we must build it back up from scratch. The talent is simply not there on the field although our qb looks legit. Regardless of how bad they are I will still support them.

I hear ya, and I'll support them too. It's just really frustrating to look like this versus a lower division opponent.

:blah: That was a tough game to watch... The sky is not falling.

Yea, like, OMG. We won the Pinstripe Bowl last year. We are 2-0 to start this year. Man, those scraps of recruits we beat out Akron to get are pretty good!

Did they abandon the run partially because Bailey was slowed by the injury?

Yea, like, OMG. We won the Pinstripe Bowl last year. We are 2-0 to start this year. Man, those scraps of recruits we beat out Akron to get are pretty good!

Why do people act like winning the 25th best bowl game is a major accomplishment?

The team is winning more often than not. That's about all that can be said, however, as its an awfully unentertaining product they are throwing out there. It could get better, but with superconferences on the horizon, unless the Big 10 comes calling, I think the program is in a secular mode.

if the team was losing on pure talent, ok, I'd accept that. USC beating the Orange next week would not be a surprise, although I hope SU figures out how to beat them. The frustrating thing is the mistakes. Drops against wake. 70+ yards of penalties for the 2nd straight game, lost TOP battle for 2nd straight as well. Absolutely glad to be 2-0, but wow, those two games were ugly.

Why do people act like winning the 25th best bowl game is a major accomplishment?

The team is winning more often than not. That's about all that can be said, however, as its an awfully unentertaining product they are throwing out there. It could get better, but with superconferences on the horizon, unless the Big 10 comes calling, I think the program is in a secular mode.
You're an awfully un-entertaining product ;)

Let's give Poppyhart a history lesson and a reality check:

2005 - 1-10
2006 - 4-8
2007 - 2-10
2008 - 3-9
2009 - 4-8

14 wins vs 45 losses over a 5 year span.

If you can't see how going 8-5 with a victory over a BCS opponent in a bowl is a major accomplishment considering the 5 year stretch this program was coming off of, then you're just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.

2005 - 1-10
2006 - 4-8
2007 - 2-10
2008 - 3-9
2009 - 4-8

If you can't see how going 8-5 with a victory over a BCS opponent in a bowl is a major accomplishment considering the 5 year stretch this program was coming off of, then you're just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.
Easy...differing opinions are what makes this board an entertaining product.

I think the main root of all this is the OL being pathetic.

1. Nassib looks like he could be an all star with some more time
2. would be nice to be able to run the ball to help our TOP and wear down the Opponents defense and make us 2 demenstional
3. also help the defence rest more

Also our D-Line needs to get some more push on its own having to blitz 6+ guys to have a chance at pressure is gonna get you burned alot through the course of a season.

Did they abandon the run partially because Bailey was slowed by the injury?

Yeah, Hackett's philosophy is run the ball, when in doubt give it to a back, is his signature quote. What??!! The O line was terrible, but you still have to have a back that can break the first tackle. I said it last week and will say it again, without Bailey's 53 yd break out run, what type of run game did we have? He's is NOT an every down back and proved it again. If you had no O line in front of you, you at least need a back that can break a tackle or get positive yards. At least give Adonis a shot, how much worse can you look in the run game? Don't you need to know what you have, and how do you know if you don't use the players available??

2005 - 1-10
2006 - 4-8
2007 - 2-10
2008 - 3-9
2009 - 4-8

Thanks, but you don't need to give me a "lesson" about how much of a disaster the DG era has been from a football perspective. I just think a people are confusing improvement and being good.

Bailey is NOT an every down back. Period. O-line is a whole different story

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom