This Was Inevitable. | Syracusefan.com

This Was Inevitable.

Symphony Steve

All American
Sad. But inevitable. Barring a scandal, like JoePa's obliviousness to Sandusky's perversions, JB was going to go out on his own terms. HOF coaches with this much built-up goodwill generally get to call their own departures.

I don't blame JW. To oust Boeheim would have resulted in a power struggle he couldn't win.

I believe, however, that said goodwill has been exhausted. This must be Boeheim's final year.

I also believe that the future for SU hoops is bright. Great facility, a great place for athletes to shine. JB's final years were marked by less trust in athleticism and far too much emphasis on the vaunted zone. The combination of diminishing athleticism on the squad and teams figuring out how to beat the zone, especially with the diminished athleticism, has led to this.

No, it's not going to end well. These things rarely do. But end it must.

After this season.

Infinity War Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

The knowledgeable posters are quiet about timing of the inevitable departure. I sense the worse we do the more obstinate Boeheim will be about leaving sooner than he wants.

JW will have to push him off the plank if it’s this year. I doubt that happens

He will be back next year absent a woody hayes moment.

Sad. But inevitable. Barring a scandal, like JoePa's obliviousness to Sandusky's perversions, JB was going to go out on his own terms. HOF coaches with this much built-up goodwill generally get to call their own departures.

I don't blame JW. To oust Boeheim would have resulted in a power struggle he couldn't win.

I believe, however, that said goodwill has been exhausted. This must be Boeheim's final year.

I also believe that the future for SU hoops is bright. Great facility, a great place for athletes to shine. JB's final years were marked by less trust in athleticism and far too much emphasis on the vaunted zone. The combination of diminishing athleticism on the squad and teams figuring out how to beat the zone, especially with the diminished athleticism, has led to this.

After this season.
The diminishing athleticism is an interesting topic. There were a number of us that were frustrated when we had players with athleticism that lacked skill. We had a number of those that either left before they had an impact or just never developed. Those teams had our traditionally good defense but were bad on offense, especially in the halfcourt. Some of us said we'd trade some atnleticism for more skill. It seems like we've now swung too far in that direction. Or maybe, more accurately, we've traded athleticism for just shooting at the expense of other skills like ball handing. Regardless, JB just hasn't put the combination of necessary talent on the floor to win at the level he established so many years ago. It's sad. My apathy grows. I don't get the ACC network so I couldn't see the game last night, and I barely cared.

Last edited:

After this season.
We all knew it was going to end this way. Wildhack's job is to take the program back. He works for the University.

It is actually the Board of Trustees job to make a decision on Boeheim’s future and from what I hear they will not force him to retire.

It doesn't matter, expect another 3 or 4 more years like this, he won't retire anytime soon.

Well then he may end up doing major damage to the program including lose the fan base and destroy any chances his assistants have of getting head coaching jobs.

Well then he may end up doing major damage to the program including lose the fan base and destroy any chances his assistants have of getting head coaching jobs.
Unless your a fairweather fan you aren't leaving.

Sadly the majority of the fans who go to games are not the diehards like posters on this board. Additionally, when I say lose the fan base I also am referring to increasing frustration and displeasure from the diehards, as we are currently seeing in all of these threads. Everyone on this board will always be fans, but as noted numerous times, a feeling of apathy is developing.

Sadly the majority of the fans who go to games are not the diehards like posters on this board. Additionally, when I say lose the fan base I also am referring to increasing frustration and displeasure from the diehards, as we are currently seeing in all of these threads. Everyone on this board will always be fans, but as noted numerous times, a feeling of apathy is developing.
Ya I mean I have to be honest I am less likely to spend my money on the program, I will always watch, but I can't justify spending my money on tickets or gear as much.

But fairweather fans are what fill up the dome. You don't get 30,000 to any game without them. All teams have them, and you only keep them if you're winning and relevant. Go too long without that, and you begin to lose the next generation of fan that could become diehard. We've seen that in football. I can't say I'd be the fan I am now if the era I grew up with (starting with the Sherm and DC teams) was like it is now. I may have been attracted to another team.

I think its just apathy. For the first time in I can't even remember I wasn't even mad they lost last night. It usually ruins my night, last night it didn't.
That too

And most people I know don't really believe the school values or fully appreciates their fan base. Basketball success has covered a lot of I'll will that will fester as this drags on. Wildhack better be as good as this forum says he is, it's storming

And most people I know don't really believe the school values or fully appreciates their fan base.

And that would be BS. Why do you think they set up the Cuse council several years ago? It’s made up of about 20-25 fans and SU AD folks. It’s to get the fans input on various athletics topics.

After this season.

Why inevitable...and who knows... maybe Boeheim finishes like Joe Pa did on the field.

2005Penn State11–17–1T–1stW Orange33
2006Penn State9–45–3T–4thW Outback2524
2007Penn State9–44–4T–5thW Alamo25
2008Penn State11–27–1T–1stL Rose88
2009Penn State11–26–2T–2ndW Capital One89
2010Penn State7–64–4T–4thL Outback
2011Penn State8–1[n 1]5–0 [n 1](Leaders)[n 1]1212

I think its just apathy. For the first time in I can't even remember I wasn't even mad they lost last night. It usually ruins my night, last night it didn't.
I am actually expecting to lose games vs. good teams and not surprised anymore when it happens. This is heresy, I've never felt this way before and I've been a fan since 1979.

Why inevitable...and who knows... maybe Boeheim finishes like Joe Pa did on the field.

Do you really believe that? We have been a borderline NCAA team for the past few years. We're not even that this year. And, frankly, our team isn't much fun to watch. I almost always used to have fun (and the occasional coronary) watching our team. I don't anymore. Do you?

Do you really believe that? We have been a borderline NCAA team for the past few years. We're not even that this year. And, frankly, our team isn't much fun to watch. I almost always used to have fun (and the occasional coronary) watching our team. I don't anymore. Do you?

oh i guess you didnt get the point? do you remember the end of Joe Pa's football career (take away the sandusky part) - people wanted him to retire at 1 point. I thought that was understood so i didnt include his really bad stretch. Recruiting Derrick Williams and a few other kids in ~2005 saved him.

2000Penn State5–74–4T–6th
2001Penn State5–64–4T–4th
2002Penn State9–45–34thL Capital One1516
2003Penn State3–91–7T–8th
2004Penn State4–72–69th

Penn State football struggled from 2000 to 2004, with an overall 26–33 record in those years and Paterno became the target of criticism from some Penn State faithful. Many in the media attributed Penn State's struggles to Paterno's advancing age. He had no apparent plans to retire, and contingents of fans and alumni began calling for him to step down. Paterno rebuffed all of this and stated he would fulfill his contract until it expired in 2008.[29] Reflecting the growth in Penn State's stature, Beaver Stadium was expanded six times during his tenure, increasing in size from 46,284 in 1966 to 106,572 in 2001.

During a speech in Pittsburgh on May 12, 2005, Paterno announced that he would consider retirement if the 2005 football team had a disappointing season. "If we don't win some games, I've got to get my rear end out of here", Paterno said in a speech at the Duquesne Club. "Simple as that".[30] Penn State finished the season with a record of 11–1 and were champions of the Big Ten in 2005. They defeated Florida State 26–23 in triple overtime in the 2006 Orange Bowl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom