Thomas -- Big East Defensive Player of the Week | Syracusefan.com

Thomas -- Big East Defensive Player of the Week

cto

Administrator
And Nassib makes the Honor Roll...

BIG EAST CONFERENCE FOOTBALL WEEKLY AWARD WINNERS

BIG EAST OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
B.J. Daniels • Jr. • QB • USF • Tallahassee, Fla.
Daniels posted career highs in completions (28), attempts (39) and passing yards (359) to lead USF to a 37-7 win against Ball State. Daniels, who played only two series in the second half, was 24-of-31 for 289 yards and a touchdown in the first half, helping to stake the Bulls to a 30-0 halftime lead.

BIG EAST DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Phillip Thomas • Jr. • S • Syracuse • Miami, Fla.
Thomas had four tackles (all solo stops), two interceptions and a pass breakup to help Syracuse hold off upset-minded Rhode Island in a 21-14 win, lifting the Orange to a 2-0 start. He had a 10-yard interception return in the first half, while his second pick came in the fourth quarter on Rhode Island’s final possession to clinch the win.

BIG EAST SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Mark Joyce • So. • S • USF • Deland, Fla.
Joyce set an early tone in USF’s 37-7 win against Ball State as he recovered a fumble for a 17-yard touchdown on the game’s opening kickoff, tying the record as the fastest scoring play in school history (eight seconds). Joyce also had two tackles as part of a defense that limited Ball State to 225 yards of offense.

WEEKLY HONOR ROLL
Isaiah Pead • Sr. • RB • Cincinnati • Columbus, Ohio
Rushed for 155 yards and a touchdown on 14 carries, averaging 11.1 yards per attempt, in a 45-23 loss at Tennessee.

Will Stein • Jr. • QB • Louisville • Louisville, Ky.
Completed 30 of 43 passes for 349 yards and two touchdowns — all career highs — in a 24-17 loss to Florida International.

Ray Graham • Jr. • RB • Pittsburgh • Elizabeth, N.J.
Rushed for 121 yards and three touchdowns on 28 carries in a 35-29 win against Maine. Leads the nation in rushing (161.0 ypg) through two weeks of the season.

Ryan Nassib • Jr. • QB • Syracuse • West Chester, Pa.
Tied a school record with 29 completions and threw for 318 yards and three touchdowns in a 21-14 win against Rhode Island.

Geno Smith • Jr. • QB • West Virginia • Miami, Fla.
Completed 20 of 34 passes for 371 yards and matched his career high with four touchdowns in a 55-12 win against Norfolk State.

They picked the wrong Thomas.

Yep, ottogrotto said it the other day, Shamarko is just insane in run coverage right now. He's like having an extra, really good, LB out there. Seems like he's in on everything.

Philip will play better, but he's not playing his best right now, can't be an easy injury to come back from. Gets credit for the 2nd INT which was a 4th down throwaway that you're coached to bat down. Anselmo was telling him as much on the sideline after the play. He also had a needless block in the back penalty on a punt return. FWIW, I thought he was hosed on that PI call, looked like great coverage to me.

They obviously didn't watch the game.

Good for Phil, but unfortunately I think that this may go to his head a bit. After the game, all he talked about on FB/Twitter was his two picks, when in reality he played a pretty mediocre game overall. I hope the coaches have a hayday in film sessions with him, and he realizes that he needs to reel it in a bit and just make the plays, instead of trying to rocket himself at people and drawing stupid penalties.

They obviously didn't watch the game.

Good for Phil, but unfortunately I think that this may go to his head a bit. After the game, all he talked about on FB/Twitter was his two picks, when in reality he played a pretty mediocre game overall.
I will root for him because our guy, but I just get the sense that Phil isn't all that smart a guy on the field. I remember a game last season where Hay got a really, really stupid drive killing personal foul penalty well after the whistle, and Marrone pulled him out. Phil came over and congratulated Hay immediately, then ran away once he saw Marrone stalking over. Ever since then, I've been pretty certain that Phil's probably just not the sharpest guy out on the field.

I will root for him because our guy, but I just get the sense that Phil isn't all that smart a guy on the field. I remember a game last season where Hay got a really, really stupid drive killing personal foul penalty well after the whistle, and Marrone pulled him out. Phil came over and congratulated Hay immediately, then ran away once he saw Marrone stalking over. Ever since then, I've been pretty certain that Phil's probably just not the sharpest guy out on the field.

I think that's a valid assumption. He's a good kid, he's really excitable, and he's really talented. If he ever put it all together, he could be the player we think he can be. He still has another year, hopefully the staff sits him down and tells him what's up.

The one thing I can say is that Phil is incredibly loyal to the team. He loves SU, and he definitely cares about playing well and winning. He knows he played poorly against Wake and took that really personally.

I think there is two types of football players the first type are very head strong and pick up the playbooks very quickly. They don't need any motivation because they are the toughest critic on themselves (ala Nassib). The second type are emotional players who's games are determined by how much there involved in the flow of the game. I think Phil falls in the second sterotype. It isn't always a bad thing however once things start going bad that's when the flood gates open up on the second group of players.

I think that's a valid assumption. He's a good kid, he's really excitable, and he's really talented. If he ever put it all together, he could be the player we think he can be. He still has another year, hopefully the staff sits him down and tells him what's up.

The one thing I can say is that Phil is incredibly loyal to the team. He loves SU, and he definitely cares about playing well and winning. He knows he played poorly against Wake and took that really personally.
Thanks for the insight. I don't think he's a bad guy at all, just that he gets caught up in things, sometimes the wrong things on the field.

Phil Thomas is and alwyas will be the guy that you love one play and drive you insane the next. I like the guy but he does get carried away a lot. But damit, if he cant rin get somebody in there that can

He also had a needless block in the back penalty on a punt return.

That was a top-10-stupid penalty. Rene had two guys driving him OB and PT ran up full speed into a third, innocent bystander and drilled him in the back. Even my wife and 13 y.o. son yelled at the tv on that one.
I am afraid he will cost us a game one of these times with his exuberance to extend an opponent game-winning drive.

Congratulations to Phillip. Apparently the POW decisions are made, however, by reviewing statistics and not watching the games. Phillip's personal fouls were unacceptable and potentially game-costing, and he missed several tackles that led to RI first downs. On one particularly horrible miss, the ball carrier advanced right toward Phillip after breaking a couple other poorly attempted tackles. Phillip simply lowered his shoulder and tried to shove the ball carrier (can't recall if it was Probst - I think so - or a RB) who just bounced off Thomas and continued running as Phillip fell down. It was Pop Warner.

Phillip clearly has the talent and physical ability to be a very good player, but he needs to smarten up and play with his head. I do not buy the not-smart-enough excuse. BK's insight to his passion and commitment is encouraging.

phillip got smoked on a cut by the r.i. running back who scored on the play.

someone needs to wire his fingers closed
phillip got smoked on a cut by the r.i. running back who scored on the play.

someone needs to wire his fingers closed
That has happened at least 4 Times since i have watched him , one on one inside the 20 those 4 times

That has happened at least 4 Times since i have watched him , one on one inside the 20 those 4 times
Let's face it, h'es not the sharpest tool in the shed and never will be. He constantly makes mental mistakes.

You get two picks, they give you an award. They don't exactly break down film for those things.

You get two picks, they give you an award. They don't exactly break down film for those things.
Especially since the second pick should have just been knocked down since it was 4th down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom