Thoughts About Luke Walton Strategy | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts About Luke Walton Strategy

Rage4CUSE

2018-19 Iggy Hoops NCAA Tourney Record
Lonzo's b-day gift? Benching in Lakers' loss

With 3 minutes and 42 seconds left in the game, Coach Walton benches his entire starting unit because on the previous possession they did not get on defense and gave up easy fast break points. Not only that he did it prior in the game with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and did the same thing to his starting unit and pulled them for not getting back in transition defense.

I gotta admit I find this to be great coaching. I don't believe I've ever seen this before by a coach, but admittedly I've only been watching basketball closely for about 8 years now. I will not be surprised if Walton can get this team into the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed.

Didn’t see the game, so I can’t comment. I like Luke in general, but have been a bit puzzled by some of his playing time decisions both last year and this year. I think so far he plays too many guys, is too inconsistent with their minutes from game to game, plays Corey Brewer too much(18 mpg?), Julius Randle too little(19 mpg), and Brook Lopez too little (25 mpg). Frankly, Lonzo is playing too much (34 mpg) and Clarkson too little(19 mpg) too.

This team has some good young pieces with potential and can become a good team with the right moves and with good player development. But right now it’s a bad team. Too young, nobody close to an all star, too many poor defenders and poor shooters. In the East they’d have an outside shot at an 8 seed, but in the west there’s at least 12 teams clearly better at this point IMO.

Didn’t see the game, so I can’t comment. I like Luke in general, but have been a bit puzzled by some of his playing time decisions both last year and this year. I think so far he plays too many guys, is too inconsistent with their minutes from game to game, plays Corey Brewer too much(18 mpg?), Julius Randle too little(19 mpg), and Brook Lopez too little (25 mpg). Frankly, Lonzo is playing too much (34 mpg) and Clarkson too little(19 mpg) too.

This team has some good young pieces with potential and can become a good team with the right moves and with good player development. But right now it’s a bad team. Too young, nobody close to an all star, too many poor defenders and poor shooters. In the East they’d have an outside shot at an 8 seed, but in the west there’s at least 12 teams clearly better at this point IMO.
Right now the Laker's bench has been outperforming the starters. It's a long season so plenty of time to try different things. Bad thing about playing in the West is that you are playing in a lot of tough games, half of them on the road where it's fun to beat up on the Lakers.

Right now the Laker's bench has been outperforming the starters. It's a long season so plenty of time to try different things. Bad thing about playing in the West is that you are playing in a lot of tough games, half of them on the road where it's fun to beat up on the Lakers.

Clarkson and Randle are two of those off the bench .that should play more IMO.

I wouldn’t bother with Brewer and Bogut. Less Hart for now. Come March or so, give him a lot of KCP’s minutes.

Clarkson and Randle are two of those off the bench .that should play more IMO.

I wouldn’t bother with Brewer and Bogut. Less Hart for now. Come March or so, give him a lot of KCP’s minutes.

All that's going to matter is if Luke Walton is an appealing coach for the top end free agents.

No one on that roster is untouchable.

These guys are auditioning to be an appealing piece for LeBron and Paul George. Lakers aren't going to wait to rebuild. If one of Bron's conditions for coming to the Lakers is Lavar Ball is sent to the arctic, Magic will personally charter the plane.

Luke is dealing with Ingram, who isn't developing fast enough,and Lonzo, who likely has too many major flaws to ever become the J-Kidd clone they want.

All that's going to matter is if Luke Walton is an appealing coach for the top end free agents.

No one on that roster is untouchable.

These guys are auditioning to be an appealing piece for LeBron and Paul George. Lakers aren't going to wait to rebuild. If one of Bron's conditions for coming to the Lakers is Lavar Ball is sent to the arctic, Magic will personally charter the plane.

Luke is dealing with Ingram, who isn't developing fast enough,and Lonzo, who likely has too many major flaws to ever become the J-Kidd clone they want.

Ingram is 19, skinny and weak, and needed his shooting form to be retooled. He’s developing fine IMO. Nobody should’ve realistically been expecting more early from him. Simmons is 21 with a grown man body.

Just picked up two tickets to the Lakes/Celts game next week. We will get to see Ball up close and personal. My kid is going to wet his pants when he sees these seats...

Ingram is 19, skinny and weak, and needed his shooting form to be retooled. He’s developing fine IMO. Nobody should’ve realistically been expecting more early from him. Simmons is 21 with a grown man body.

I just don't think he's progressing as fast as they would expect someone that would eventually be vying for an all-star appearance each year, 19 or not.

If he isn't going to be able to hang weight on his frame, he has to be able to shoot like Durant.

I think he's a fine player and think he'll continue to get better, but I don't think his ceiling is high enough that you are married to him in terms of potential trades.

Simmons is like a rich man's version of Kyle Anderson. Love watching him.

My point regarding LA, was more that these points of contention (Luke's coaching, young guys developing, etc) are really just a function of being able to attract big name free agents or stars that are demanding trades. Bron, KD, Melo, DJ, PG all have player options I believe and Boogie is a FA. Lot of talent out there.

Just picked up two tickets to the Lakes/Celts game next week. We will get to see Ball up close and personal. My kid is going to wet his pants when he sees these seats...
CuseFaninVT Here is a better video of Ball's game from last night. It's too bad his dad is a DB because it is really going to put a lot of pressure on the kid. Everything he does is going to be magnified. This video points out all of his faults. Hopefully, for his own good, he is a quick learner.

I just don't think he's progressing as fast as they would expect someone that would eventually be vying for an all-star appearance each year, 19 or not.

If he isn't going to be able to hang weight on his frame, he has to be able to shoot like Durant.

I think he's a fine player and think he'll continue to get better, but I don't think his ceiling is high enough that you are married to him in terms of potential trades.

Simmons is like a rich man's version of Kyle Anderson. Love watching him.

My point regarding LA, was more that these points of contention (Luke's coaching, young guys developing, etc) are really just a function of being able to attract big name free agents or stars that are demanding trades. Bron, KD, Melo, DJ, PG all have player options I believe and Boogie is a FA. Lot of talent out there.

Oh yeah, agreed...there’s nobody that should be untouchable on the roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom