Thoughts from a Rutgers fan | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts from a Rutgers fan

NewYorker

Walk On
I think that your team played hard and never gave up. I was worried when you took the lead in the second half, especially with our best player out with an injury. This would be a great annual match for both schools, so I hope that our ADs can make it happen. For some reason, your guys looked tired (and actually, our guys did as well). Playing in front of an empty crowd may be the reason for that. The RAC would have been rocking last night, and I think that both teams would have played with more energy. I still predict that you guys will have a good run this year.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

Interesting point about both teams looking tired. That extended period of play until they finally got the under 16 TV timeout (at almost 12 minutes left) seemed to take a lot out of them. Early in the season and all probably explains that, plus not playing summer leagues that most of these guys would have participated in.

Maybe lack of crowd energy’s impacting adrenaline and that extra gear?

The Rutgers big was legit, they has a shot to make a run in the big 10. We were missing Bou and Buddy badly

yeah by the end of that stretch when a timeout finally came it was basically a jogging up and down pickup game - both teams gassed.
(and yes, Alsacs I agree JB should've used his bench more at this point)
we were already two guys down. That means our top two subs were already starting. We just aren't that deep.

we were already two guys down. That means our top two subs were already starting. We just aren't that deep.
I mean yeah I agree, and I typically lean towards 7 is fine, 8 max - but last night by midway thru the 2nd half from the up-and-down as well as from the inadequate conditioning compared to normal seasons, our guys were absolutely gassed - you can put Frank/JBA in for a couple mins, Braswell in for a couple mins, slide guys over, etc...

I think that your team played hard and never gave up. I was worried when you took the lead in the second half, especially with our best player out with an injury. This would be a great annual match for both schools, so I hope that our ADs can make it happen. For some reason, your guys looked tired (and actually, our guys did as well). Playing in front of an empty crowd may be the reason for that. The RAC would have been rocking last night, and I think that both teams would have played with more energy. I still predict that you guys will have a good run this year.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

Best player? Baker is better than Harper?

I don't agree Harper is their best player and their best pro prospect. Baker is a bit of a chucker.

Thats what I’m saying. That’s the first time I’ve watched a Rutgers basketball game since whenever the last time we played them, but just looking at the numbers...Baker averaged 10, 3, and 3 last year. Harper is clearly their guy.

Thats what I’m saying. That’s the first time I’ve watched a Rutgers basketball game since whenever the last time we played them, but just looking at the numbers...Baker averaged 10, 3, and 3 last year. Harper is clearly their guy.
O my bad sorry I was trying to do like 5 things at once.

I think Newton should be in the rotation right now. But that is only one guy.

We don’t have to do line changes. These guys are all pretty flexible so Woody can be used with a lot of different combinations to buy rest for just about everyone. I guess the exception is that you need minutes from JBA, Jesse or Frank in order to get Marek a blow until Sidibe is back.

Maybe lack of crowd energy’s impacting adrenaline and that extra gear?

The Rutgers big was legit, they has a shot to make a run in the big 10. We were missing Bou and Buddy badly
Big is silly deep this year. Hate to say that.

Best player? Baker is better than Harper?
Yes, Baker is a one man highlight reel. He is especially good when the game is one the line. Don't get me wrong, Harper is a legit player, especially with his father's NBA pedigree. But Baker would have been the guy you want with the ball in his hands when Cuse took the lead in the game. The most impressive thing about the game, from a Rutgers fan perspective, is how the team was able to rally without him in the lineup. That's really promising for the rest of the season when Baker returns.
We are also down a second man due to a back injury. In the old days, having two guys out would have meant that our season was over, but this team is very deep and smart (the big guy, Myles Johnson, is an engineering student who had a 4.0 GPA last year).

If you want to see what I mean about Baker, just watch one or two minutes of his highlight video from last year:

Maybe he needs his own specific forum...
Www. CuseRunnerthoughts. Gov. Www/cuserunnerthoughts

Big Ten fans from other schools regularly come to our message board to offer congratulations or even encourage our team after a loss. I enjoy interacting with other fan bases (except for UConn). During football games, all of the Big Ten marching bands play the opponent's fight song as part of the pregame show. It's part of the respectful attitude that generally exists in the league. Yes, all fan bases have idiots, but I enjoy the civility of sports discussions after a contest is played.

Yes, Baker is a one man highlight reel. He is especially good when the game is one the line. Don't get me wrong, Harper is a legit player, especially with his father's NBA pedigree. But Baker would have been the guy you want with the ball in his hands when Cuse took the lead in the game. The most impressive thing about the game, from a Rutgers fan perspective, is how the team was able to rally without him in the lineup. That's really promising for the rest of the season when Baker returns.
We are also down a second man due to a back injury. In the old days, having two guys out would have meant that our season was over, but this team is very deep and smart (the big guy, Myles Johnson, is an engineering student who had a 4.0 GPA last year).

If you want to see what I mean about Baker, just watch one or two minutes of his highlight video from last year:
Rutgers seems constructed very well for a college team. A very sustainable model. Very much like West Virginia or the old Pitt teams. Big, tough, thick upperclassmen who understand how to play game and have developed skills. Not many will get a shot at the NBA, but they will be very good college players. It will equate to a lot of wins, because few teams can match the toughness and physical nature of their game. The problems happen when the fanbase starts to demand deeper runs in the NCAA's and higher ranked players on the recruiting trail. One and done's don't fit this model. I would enjoy watching this team if it weren't Rutgers (no offense). Maybe in a couple of years. Anyway, I've been drinking, so don't pay much attention to my thoughts.

Big thing you need to remember is Cuse was down two key players vs just Baker while you guys were on your home court. Zone would have been taller up top and rebounding advantage would have been offset a bunch with Dolezaj playing his natural position and we go 6-11/6-10 vs 6-10/6-7. No doubt Baker is a highlight guy but all around player, having seen you guys plenty I am going with Harper. Good problem to have. SU had a pause too which adds even more challenge to having guys out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom