Thoughts from a Rutgers fan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts from a Rutgers fan

Maybe he needs his own specific forum...
Www. CuseRunnerthoughts. Gov. Www/cuserunnerthoughts
945E15DF-3EEE-48CE-92DC-E1F75D98193A.jpeg

Big Ten fans from other schools regularly come to our message board to offer congratulations or even encourage our team after a loss. I enjoy interacting with other fan bases (except for UConn). During football games, all of the Big Ten marching bands play the opponent's fight song as part of the pregame show. It's part of the respectful attitude that generally exists in the league. Yes, all fan bases have idiots, but I enjoy the civility of sports discussions after a contest is played.
u get a like just for the ucon bit

Big Ten fans from other schools regularly come to our message board to offer congratulations or even encourage our team after a loss. I enjoy interacting with other fan bases (except for UConn). During football games, all of the Big Ten marching bands play the opponent's fight song as part of the pregame show. It's part of the respectful attitude that generally exists in the league. Yes, all fan bases have idiots, but I enjoy the civility of sports discussions after a contest is played.

Understood.. like all forums we have some.. "special" posters.

Big thing you need to remember is Cuse was down two key players vs just Baker while you guys were on your home court. Zone would have been taller up top and rebounding advantage would have been offset a bunch with Dolezaj playing his natural position and we go 6-11/6-10 vs 6-10/6-7. No doubt Baker is a highlight guy but all around player, having seen you guys plenty I am going with Harper. Good problem to have. SU had a pause too which adds even more challenge to having guys out.
Good points, Orangezoo. We were 18-1 at home last year, so we definitely have a home court advantage, but I think that was mostly due to the very loud fans. It will be interesting to see how we fare at home this year without fans in the stands. It would have been cool to see both teams play with our full rosters, Maybe next year, if we play each other again. I think that would be exciting for fans from both schools, now that our team isn't bad like in previous years.

2020 in a nutshell. As Michael Scott wisely once said “how the turntables”. I need to rewatch Flynn over Rosario so that all things can be right in the world again.

At a minimum this is not Herve Lamizana and company and instead a pretty decent team.

I think that your team played hard and never gave up. I was worried when you took the lead in the second half, especially with our best player out with an injury. This would be a great annual match for both schools, so I hope that our ADs can make it happen. For some reason, your guys looked tired (and actually, our guys did as well). Playing in front of an empty crowd may be the reason for that. The RAC would have been rocking last night, and I think that both teams would have played with more energy. I still predict that you guys will have a good run this year.

Good luck with the rest of your season.
I think with B1G money, Rutgers will forever exceed Syracue and UConn on both football and basketball.

Big thing you need to remember is Cuse was down two key players vs just Baker while you guys were on your home court. Zone would have been taller up top and rebounding advantage would have been offset a bunch with Dolezaj playing his natural position and we go 6-11/6-10 vs 6-10/6-7. No doubt Baker is a highlight guy but all around player, having seen you guys plenty I am going with Harper. Good problem to have. SU had a pause too which adds even more challenge to having guys out.

RU was also without McConnell, another starter, so both teams were without two

McConnell is probably gone for the season

Harper is Rutgers best player but many on the Rutgers board will say Geo Baker. Geo was the first good recruit of the Pike era and is the senior leader. He has also been super clutch hitting some big late game shots and as the PG runs the team. Ron has reached a new level and is RU top dog now.

No Baker and Caleb leads to more minutes by the 4 freshman who combined for 0 points as only 5 players scored for the Scarlet Knights.

RU was also without McConnell, another starter, so both teams were without two

McConnell is probably gone for the season

RU has played most of the season without Baker and Mcconnell. SU lost Buddy to CoVid protocol unexpectedly, lost Sidibe in game 1 like y'all lost Baker and also has practiced 1/3 or less as much as RU. There is a sizable difference between those two situations. Factor in playing on the road as well. It's moot at this point but the two situations are not congruent. I am not a fan of putting stock in pandemic games that much given how screwed up things are because of pauses and protocol. Its a scrimmage season as much as it is anything and that goes for everyone.

I think with B1G money, Rutgers will forever exceed Syracue and UConn on both football and basketball.

LOL.

They’ve been getting that Big Ten money for how long now? They’re never going to get the real high level recruits. They’ll be doing very well if they can keep their coach and maintain the level they’re at now for awhile.

And you’re grouping Syracuse with UConn...why? We have nothing in common with that scrub school at this point.

Last edited:

I disagree in general on Iowa fans.

LOL.

They’ve been getting that Big Ten money for how long now? They’re never going to get the real high level recruits. They’ll be doing very well if they can keep their coach and maintain the level they’re at now for awhile.

And you’re grouping Syracuse with UConn...why? We have nothing in common with that scrub school at this point.
Pike took over a dumper fire program. It takes a few years to turn that around. Now Rutgers is a ranked program in the best conference in the country making like 45 million a year in B1G money to keep Pike and a high quality staff. Brand new practice facility. Landed top 50 recruit B1G Cliff. All starters are 4 star recruits. Jaden Jones coming in next year is a beast. No reason to expect Rutgers to all of a sudden revert back to being a terrible program. It is clearly on the rise.

Uconn is in essentially the same situation as Syracuse. Both programs with history and long time cosches. Uconn in a slightly different time line with Calhoun already retired but Boeheim can't coach forever. UConn with Hurley is going to be a tough program and he us already recruiting well there.

The next coaching hire will be enormously important for cuse. If they blow it, cuse will be the clear #3 in the pecking order of these 3 schools and have a down turn like UConn just went through

Pike took over a dumper fire program. It takes a few years to turn that around. Now Rutgers is a ranked program in the best conference in the country making like 45 million a year in B1G money to keep Pike and a high quality staff. Brand new practice facility. Landed top 50 recruit B1G Cliff. All starters are 4 star recruits. Jaden Jones coming in next year is a beast. No reason to expect Rutgers to all of a sudden revert back to being a terrible program. It is clearly on the rise.

Uconn is in essentially the same situation as Syracuse. Both programs with history and long time cosches. Uconn in a slightly different time line with Calhoun already retired but Boeheim can't coach forever. UConn with Hurley is going to be a tough program and he us already recruiting well there.

The next coaching hire will be enormously important for cuse. If they blow it, cuse will be the clear #3 in the pecking order of these 3 schools and have a down turn like UConn just went through
That’s funny. Syracuse could always just take your coach, if we wanted.

That’s funny. Syracuse could always just take your coach, if we wanted.
That's just simply an outdated mindset. Adjusting to the new norm of Rutgers being a legit basketball B1G program will take a while, and I'm sure some fans of rival programs will never be objective about it. I'm sure there is a certain level of anxiety as to what cuse bball post Boeheim will look like and understandly so

That's just simply an outdated mindset. Adjusting to the new norm of Rutgers being a legit basketball B1G program will take a while, and I'm sure some fans of rival programs will never be objective about it. I'm sure there is a certain level of anxiety as to what cuse bball post Boeheim will look like and understandly so
MV5BMTgwNzY5NzUyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDEzODEyOA@@._V1_.jpg

Are you guys the pregnant one or the little girl with glasses?

Rutgers will always just be Rutgers in my eyes. And be careful about this uptick because all it takes is one thing like the coach leaving to resort back to the real norm. Just look at what happened with Rutgers football when Schiano left.

I was surprised to see Ron Harper Jr is only 6'6". For some reason he looked like 6'10" to me on the court. Probably the hair.

If he can sculpt his body a little bit he could definitely have a solid NBA career. His game reminds me a bit of Keith Van Horn. Not athletic but very crafty and skilled.

Last edited:
I dont mean to be argumentative, but would you have come here in peace if your team had lost? We get lots of posters from other schools that come in peace after their team wins, but very few coming in peace and offering congrats after a loss.

But that aside, good luck to you the rest of the way as well.

LMAO.

Sure

Just like Syracuse football was going to take over the ACC when we had a good year.

Rutgers will probably be like most of the programs in the Big Ten that aren’t Michigan State. Except probably less consistently than basketball schools like Indiana, Michigan. Purdue, Wisconsin, etc. So maybe you can be Minnesota or Illinois. Maybe.

If you want to be a prisoner of the moment and act like the Big Ten is perennially the best hoops conference, go for it. But we all know the ACC is often the best league.

Same. Feel free to stop by throughout the season and share your thoughts. Your presence is welcome by the majority of posters here; please ignore the smoothbrains that shouldn't be trusted with an etch-a-sketch let alone a keyboard.

I think that your team played hard and never gave up. I was worried when you took the lead in the second half, especially with our best player out with an injury. This would be a great annual match for both schools, so I hope that our ADs can make it happen. For some reason, your guys looked tired (and actually, our guys did as well). Playing in front of an empty crowd may be the reason for that. The RAC would have been rocking last night, and I think that both teams would have played with more energy. I still predict that you guys will have a good run this year.

Good luck with the rest of your season.
Concur.
I was there in '03 when Lamizana banked it in and I was there in '09 when Flynn postered Rosario.
RAC always has a great atmosphere.

We will get better this year, no doubt.

You guys are best you've been since the Duncan/Hughes days.

From a coaching standpoint, it looks like the AD has gotten it right...

this thread was promising and looked like it’d be civil.

Rutgers is no more a rival of Cuse basketball than Cuse football’s a rival of Penn State. Probably even less so as Cuse football’s at least got history.

Rutgers’ legit this year though in bball and I wish them well.

Until your coach goes crazy and forces nude wind sprints while throwing basketballs at their heads. You guys have had good coaches before, but something always seems to "break " in their heads or the AD flips out...
Men's HC job at RU will likely always be well down the list of top jobs in the B1G (OSU, MSU,UofM, IU, Iowa, Wisc, maybe even Purdue), so I think it's premature at best to think someone will stay in that job long term if he has success.
SU could be in the same boat after JB if we make a mediocre hire, but we do have the Dome and many thousand more diehard fans than RU who will always have to compete with the NBA for attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom