Thoughts from a Rutgers fan | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts from a Rutgers fan

Until your coach goes crazy and forces nude wind sprints while throwing basketballs at their heads. You guys have had good coaches before, but something always seems to "break " in their heads or the AD flips out...
Men's HC job at RU will likely always be well down the list of top jobs in the B1G (OSU, MSU,UofM, IU, Iowa, Wisc, maybe even Purdue), so I think it's premature at best to think someone will stay in that job long term if he has success.
SU could be in the same boat after JB if we make a mediocre hire, but we do have the Dome and many thousand more diehard fans than RU who will always have to compete with the NBA for attention.

Lol.

I know the guy has been civil, but I can’t help but laugh and get sarcastic at a fan of program that hasn’t made the NCAAs in 30 fricken years talking like Syracuse basketball is in grave danger if we don’t make the right coaching hire. Lmao. If we make the wrong hire, we’ll just get somebody else. The Syracuse job has an awful lot of capital built up as a very good one.

As for Rutgers, they should’ve kept Waters. They had some decent and competitive teams in his years, and he never embarrassed the school.

Lol.

I know the guy has been civil, but I can’t help but laugh and get sarcastic at a fan of program that hasn’t made the NCAAs in 30 fricken years talking like Syracuse basketball is in grave danger if we don’t make the right coaching hire. Lmao. If we make the wrong hire, we’ll just get somebody else. The Syracuse job has an awful lot of capital built up as a very good one.

As for Rutgers, they should’ve kept Waters. They had some decent and competitive teams in his years, and he never embarrassed the school.
And, although they get B10 money, they don’t even get a full share and their athletic department has to steal from the student fund every year. Hardly deep pockets.

And, although they get B10 money, they don’t even get a full share and their athletic department has to steal from the student fund every year. Hardly deep pockets.

If they can keep their coach they can probably keep having tough, competitive teams fairly regularly. If he leaves, who knows? They’ll have to hit on somebody from a mid major again, which they’ve obviously struggled to do over the years...though at least this time they’ll have some recent success to help their brand out a bit.

Personally, I hope the guy stays along time and they hold their own in the Big Ten and completely overshadow the scummy Seton Hall program in NJ.

Reason number one we lost is that we play without a big that is at least P5 average. When a rebound went up it was Rutgers when a Rutgers payer drove there was no rim defender for SU. That’s why dole always has 3 fouls on him in the first half. No one to even spell him. Our recruiting of centers is like finding players more apt to be models for a food bank line.

I think that it's good for the Northeast to have some exciting athletic programs. We need both Rutgers and Syracuse to be strong in both basketball AND football. Let's face it, both teams are somewhat regionally separated from most of their conference foes, so it would be great to have a rivalry with a more local team. As a New Yorker, I root for Syracuse (except when they are playing Rutgers). We need more pride in our region for our collegiate teams.

I think that it's good for the Northeast to have some exciting athletic programs. We need both Rutgers and Syracuse to be strong in both basketball AND football. Let's face it, both teams are somewhat regionally separated from most of their conference foes, so it would be great to have a rivalry with a more local team. As a New Yorker, I root for Syracuse (except when they are playing Rutgers). We need more pride in our region for our collegiate teams.
As a Syracuse fan, I disagree that the region needs Rutgers to be strong in both football and basketball, as Rutgers has never been strong in both football and basketball. In general, and certainly not at the same time.

As a Syracuse fan, I disagree that the region needs Rutgers to be strong in both football and basketball, as Rutgers has never been strong in both football and basketball. In general, and certainly not at the same time.

Yes! They were strong* in both like 20 years apart.

* Rutgers was mediocre at football twice and basketball maybe twice?

Yes! They were strong* in both like 20 years apart.

* Rutgers was mediocre at football twice and basketball maybe twice?
They were really good in bball once 1976. Other than that nada.

They were really good in bball once 1976. Other than that nada.

Thanks. It was most definitely less than 3 and looking it up would have given them some small measure of victory I was confident they didn’t deserve

Harper is Rutgers best player but many on the Rutgers board will say Geo Baker. Geo was the first good recruit of the Pike era and is the senior leader. He has also been super clutch hitting some big late game shots and as the PG runs the team. Ron has reached a new level and is RU top dog now.

No Baker and Caleb leads to more minutes by the 4 freshman who combined for 0 points as only 5 players scored for the Scarlet Knights.
Geo was rated liked sub 400 per 247. He wasn’t highly recruited. But if you watch his highlights it looks like he’s developed into a really dynamic player.

Last edited:
Getting a "good try" pat on the back from RU is disheartening, at best.
they earned that right----many of us knew that they were pretty good. their coach is the real deal. blue collar hard worker.

they earned that right----many of us knew that they were pretty good. their coach is the real deal. blue collar hard worker.

Because they beat us one time at the RAC? They beat us at the RAC a few times during the Big East days too. Not often, but here and there. It’s not like they’re Colgate. They SHOULD beat us sometimes.

Drawing big conclusions off one close W at home when our leading returning scorer was out is kinda funny.

LOL.

They’ve been getting that Big Ten money for how long now? They’re never going to get the real high level recruits. They’ll be doing very well if they can keep their coach and maintain the level they’re at now for awhile.

And you’re grouping Syracuse with UConn...why? We have nothing in common with that scrub school at this point.
they don't get a full share until 2027, per the internet they get 23.8 min 2019. you really like the word never
Pike took over a dumper fire program. It takes a few years to turn that around. Now Rutgers is a ranked program in the best conference in the country making like 45 million a year in B1G money to keep Pike and a high quality staff. Brand new practice facility. Landed top 50 recruit B1G Cliff. All starters are 4 star recruits. Jaden Jones coming in next year is a beast. No reason to expect Rutgers to all of a sudden revert back to being a terrible program. It is clearly on the rise.

Uconn is in essentially the same situation as Syracuse. Both programs with history and long time cosches. Uconn in a slightly different time line with Calhoun already retired but Boeheim can't coach forever. UConn with Hurley is going to be a tough program and he us already recruiting well there.

The next coaching hire will be enormously important for cuse. If they blow it, cuse will be the clear #3 in the pecking order of these 3 schools and have a down turn like UConn just went through
i said 3yrs ago that he was a good hire for rutgers and two years ago that pike would be great replacement for boeheim. i believe a few others said it as well.

they don't get a full share until 2027, per the internet they get 23.8 min 2019. you really like the word never

i said 3yrs ago that he was a good hire for rutgers and two years ago that pike would be great replacement for boeheim. i believe a few others said it as well.
Pike won't be there long.

I think with B1G money, Rutgers will forever exceed Syracue and UConn on both football and basketball.
Bad management and lack of core values always overcomes lots of money

Never said otherwise, but the game I watched, I didn't find RU to be particularly good. I thought SU was bad for the most part.

Bad management and lack of core values always overcomes lots of money
Certainly hope so. But the new Rutgers coach is a good hire. He is UConn guard running old UConn system. It works. I think he will win 50% or 60% of games against us.

Certainly hope so. But the new Rutgers coach is a good hire. He is UConn guard running old UConn system. It works. I think he will win 50% or 60% of games against us.
You mean this year if we played ten times, they would win 5 or 6?

I can understand how new found potentially short term success could cloud judgement.

Without UConn players. Those good UConn teams were always loaded with talent.

Rutgers has a nice team this year...they’re a team that hangs around the lower part of the top 25/others receiving votes and gets like a 7-10 seed, probably.

Thats fine, but that’s not scaring anyone.

Some of you trying to be contrarian Cuse fans are easily impressed by opponents I guess, but think we suck when we’re basically on the same level.

Last edited:
How is the bug 10 the best basketball conference by the way?

ACC has what, 9 rings dating back to 2000?
B1G has 2?

I gave them Maryland because I dont want them.

So many prisoners of the moment who like to just hop on the most recent wave.

Never said otherwise, but the game I watched, I didn't find RU to be particularly good. I thought SU was bad for the most part.
i agree except for defense . their d was very good and they were in better physical condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom