Thoughts on Date -> ACC? | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Date -> ACC?

Faegan

All Conference
Right now, the Big East needs SU & Pitt to hold onto their BCS bid and bowl access in general, right? So what has to happen for us to get the go ahead to move to the ACC next season?

As it stands now, I see us stuck.

Yea looks like we could be some what stuck, or we need everyone to bail fast. I think they need a # of teams to even be a conference, so we need them to break that thresh hold fast.

I've accepted the fact that Syracuse may be playing in the BE through June 2013.

Hopefully the musical chair game settles down and the NNBE can pick up three of UCF, ECU, Memphis, Navy or someone else by the end of 2011. I expect WVU to head to the Big XII (or SEC). If that happens then it's in the BE's best interest for everyone to take their new seats ASAP.

Yea looks like we could be some what stuck, or we need everyone to bail fast. I think they need a # of teams to even be a conference, so we need them to break that thresh hold fast.

Exactly. I don't think they can afford to wait to put the conference back together just to stick it to us, but who knows what their timeline is like. Especially with Mara-whosey-whatsey in charge.

I'm actually not concerned about this. I think we may end up playing in the BE in '12-'13, but I'm confident that things will work out where we are in the ACC for '13-'14, either the BE dissolves or adds new members and lets us go.

They'll get a deal done to get us out the door. Forcing us to play just makes them look worse.

As with just about everything I post this is based on absolutely nothing, but I think we'll still be in the BE next season, and not the one after that.

As with just about everything I post this is based on absolutely nothing, but I think we'll still be in the BE next season, and not the one after that.

Tend to agree one more year in this dump

I dont think the BE will have football by the end of next week. Even C-USA teams are not jumping at this very fast and if they were smart they would let this play out a little longer before they leave to come here

They'll get a deal done to get us out the door. Forcing us to play just makes them look worse.
agree with this completely. you don't breakup with your girlfriend but keep living in the house. it's best for both sides to get on with things. just PR-wise, the BE needs to get past us and pitt leaving as soon as possible. does no good for THAT to be the talking point for another year or two.

I don't think that's a bad scenario truth to tell. I think our football team has a chance to be pretty good next season and I see us faring better against Big East comp than ACC comp short term.

Hoops would have a fun farewell tour too.

Is it a bad thing? Our seat at the "Big Boys Table" is reserved and we should have a pretty good team next year and the Big East conference is the path of least resistance to a BCS berth

In the spirit of doing what is in our best interests, and perhaps throw in a little greed, I think we should follow the ethics popularized by Wall St. and banks as well as the FBS schools. We know we owe $5 million and the rules can hold us to up to 27 months, pending negotiations. Therefore I suggest we announce that we are leaving for the ACC effective next season to allow scheduling to take place and state that we will try to work out a reasonable resolution on the early departure that will most certainly come down to money. If we can not work it out, we let the courts decide what a reasonable resolution would be. Of course, by time it reaches court they will probably not be a Big East any longer.

Is it a bad thing? Our seat at the "Big Boys Table" is reserved and we should have a pretty good team next year and the Big East conference is the path of least resistance to a BCS berth

I just hate the current Big east, truth be told. I want out ASAP and for someone who usually travels to a couple of games a year, i would rather be in the ACC, although I do like the USF trip. I don't really care

No one takes the Big East BCS berth seriously, just look at UConn.

Getting out ASAP is the best thing for Syracuse, and having a good team next year is the best to hit the ground running in the ACC.

Right now, the Big East needs SU & Pitt to hold onto their BCS bid and bowl access in general, right? So what has to happen for us to get the go ahead to move to the ACC next season?

The best case scenario for Syracuse is unfortunately the worst for RU and UConn:

The Big 12 goes big, adding TCU, BYU, UL, UC and WVU, with all set to play next season. The Big East football conference vanishes and USF, RU and UConn end up in either the MAC or C-USA. No one pays any exit fees, no one has to wait and the Big East football conference is gone forever.

The best case scenario for Syracuse is unfortunately the worst for RU and UConn:

The Big 12 goes big, adding TCU, BYU, UL, UC and WVU, with all set to play next season. The Big East football conference vanishes and USF, RU and UConn end up in either the MAC or C-USA. No one pays any exit fees, no one has to wait and the Big East football conference is gone forever.

OK, now I know what to root for

The BE is in a holding pattern with the other conferences settling their membership but I think that once that's done (hopefully in a couple of weeks at most), the conference will move quickly to chart out its future. If the football side of the conference is dissolved, then I don't see SU or Pitt having to hang around longer than summer 2012. If the football side is reconstituted with more C-USA teams, then I think the BE will want to cut us loose as soon as possible in order to bring in the new members and have some kind of a track record to sell come contract negotiation time later next year. Either way, I think this might be the last year.

It's simple.

As soon as they invite some other schools there will be pressure to get us out and the new schools in.

If they don't invite anyone --- or no one accepts ---they have to keep SU and Pitt to keep their schedules filled.

This hanging on to schools after they have announced their leaving has significant problems associated with it starting with fan behavior. The worse the situation the "left-behinds" find themselves in, the worse that behavior will be. And Universities hate that and there might even be lawsuits associated with it.

Think of UConn students pelting the BC student buses with bottles and the recent beating of LSU fans in "Almost Heaven West Virginia".

Universities do not want those problems.

The teams would be leaving for more than just football though. The hoops side would be due some sort of notification and buyout per terms of the BE agreement (is the 27 months a football agreement or conference wide?). I don't see them having a problem with the FB schools moving out next season, pending negotiation on the exit fees.

That may be true. At the least, I think the collapse of the football conference, which generates most of the money for conference schools, would result in a major reduction in the exit fee. The conference becomes a decent basketball and olympics sports league. Hard to justify a $5 million fee to leave something like that. And harder still to try and extort another $20 million to leave a sinking boat.

The teams would be leaving for more than just football though. The hoops side would be due some sort of notification and buyout per terms of the BE agreement (is the 27 months a football agreement or conference wide?). I don't see them having a problem with the FB schools moving out next season, pending negotiation on the exit fees.

With SU, Pitt, and TCU leaving, and if the others leave, then that's $45 million for the remaining basketball parasites to split.

I've accepted the fact that Syracuse may be playing in the BE through June 2013.

Hopefully the musical chair game settles down and the NNBE can pick up three of UCF, ECU, Memphis, Navy or someone else by the end of 2011. I expect WVU to head to the Big XII (or SEC). If that happens then it's in the BE's best interest for everyone to take their new seats ASAP.

Annoying to have to stay and be an outsider stuck in the BE. However, I really, really don't like that unturned Rutgirls helmet. One more shot to correct this year's poor performance and leave with a last victory over that bunch is some consolation.