Thoughts on Hopkins and Some General Musings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Hopkins and Some General Musings

Powell interested to get your thoughts on the game. Did I miss your usual breakdown?

Thanks for asking, I am unable to contribute much this week. Enjoying others thoughts on the game and hoping for a positive outcome. Go Orange.

One thing I'd really like to start seeing is taking advantage of having a goalie that makes a lot of saves and usually a lot of clean saves, and push the ball up the field faster. Now I don't if throwing longer outlet passes is not Mark's forte but I watch a lot of other teams that do this constantly and I just don't understand why Syracuse doesn't look to do the same? I though Gait talked last season about going to back to a style of pushing the pace more and while I understand the circumstances can change game to game, just doesn't feel like we're seeing any indication of this.

Coach Petro is not a fan of transition offense. Some guys that have tried have been screamed at for it. I saw it with my own eyes at the games. I agree I love when teams push the ball and when u do it a few times it opens up our attack to get open looks. Alexo did it game 1 for the first goal of the season as did Carter Rice but the defense is told to clear and get off. I saw Petro give Murphy the evil eyes when he scored against Maryland. Lmao which I get it you wanna get ur offense on the field right away and move the ball but if it's wide open man push it. Do that a few times and the defense will come up to stop it then u dish to a wide open Hiltz who can rocket one in from the corner. U only do it if it's wide open and Mark has made some long half field passes but soon as these guys get the ball their screaming at em to get off. Guess Petro doesn't believe in it. I see nothing wrong to do it once or twice a game if it's open.

Coach Petro is not a fan of transition offense. Some guys that have tried have been screamed at for it. I saw it with my own eyes at the games. I agree I love when teams push the ball and when u do it a few times it opens up our attack to get open looks. Alexo did it game 1 for the first goal of the season as did Carter Rice but the defense is told to clear and get off. I saw Petro give Murphy the evil eyes when he scored against Maryland. Lmao which I get it you wanna get ur offense on the field right away and move the ball but if it's wide open man push it. Do that a few times and the defense will come up to stop it then u dish to a wide open Hiltz who can rocket one in from the corner. U only do it if it's wide open and Mark has made some long half field passes but soon as these guys get the ball their screaming at em to get off. Guess Petro doesn't believe in it. I see nothing wrong to do it once or twice a game if it's open.

Pretty sure Petro wasn’t happy about the softball Murphy shot during the Duke game either. Defense is already working too hard to have the ball turned over on transition. Get it to the guys that train to score.

Pretty sure Petro wasn’t happy about the softball Murphy shot during the Duke game either. Defense is already working too hard to have the ball turned over on transition. Get it to the guys that train to score.

Oh no that was a bad shot. He should have dumped it off to Hiltz he had him open which like I said he scored against Maryland so this time Duke came to him and he had Hiltz on the corner. He tried to make a play but was the wrong time but if he did hit Hiltz and he scores the place goes nuts. That's usually how transitions go u better score but I like pushing it once in a while. Petro flipping if u don't dump it and get off has been going on all season. I saw him flip out on Rice one time then the Maryland game after Murphy scored he just stared at him with evil eyes. He would have ripped his arm off if he didn't score but again he was wide open to why not take it? Some coaches just don't like it they rather give it to there offense which I get but if it's there why not once in a while. Alexo has shown he can shoot u would mind Mark making a save and passing if quick down field. St Joes does it a lot and very successful with it.

Also yes there is certain times in a game to take a shot with Will making a quick pass downfield. Catch a team off guard here and there I mean that goal can be the difference in a game. U have O middies tired and now trying to run back on defense. Maryland, Yale and now Notre Dame do it a lot. St joes like i I said before they love to do it. I personally like it but not every coach does which is fine.

I wonder if Shea would have been interested. He has everything he needs in New Haven to sustain and build success.

If SU just had opened the search up and looked outside of Manley field house that would have been nice. The same thing just happened with men’s basketball.

There were several rumors that there had been some back channel talks with Shea who was definitely interested in discussing the job but SU chose to keep it in house because Gait asked specifically about the job and I think they felt it would lessen the impact on Desko essentially being forced out (essentially the same as bball like you mentioned). I assume that if the Gait hire ultimately doesn't work out SU will do a true wide open search.

There were several rumors that there had been some back channel talks with Shea who was definitely interested in discussing the job but SU chose to keep it in house because Gait asked specifically about the job and I think they felt it would lessen the impact on Desko essentially being forced out (essentially the same as bball like you mentioned). I assume that if the Gait hire ultimately doesn't work out SU will do a true wide open search.
Thanks for sharing. That news is frustrating. A proven recent men’s national championship coach who built it from scratch and is from the CNY area was interested in the job but Gait asked about it so he gets it? Unreal.

Soften the blow for Desko? I am a Desko supporter as his teams brought me a lot of great joy. No way he wins only 4 games last year. I think he is a good coach but it was harder each year to argue that he should keep the job long term. As I recall the Gait hiring news broke before Desko had even announced his retirement. Wildhack really makes some blunders on these transitions. If he is out for caring for feelings it does not appear that way.

Like others have astutely said on this board the offense is improved and time will tell on Gait. Legendary player at SU and did build the women’s team. He may be the right guy but hard for me to think about what could have been,

SU had a proven winner with a defensive background and offensive mindset. Shay won the national title with an upstate star player carrying the load. WOW.

Thanks for sharing. That news is frustrating. A proven recent men’s national championship coach who built it from scratch and is from the CNY area was interested in the job but Gait asked about it so he gets it? Unreal.

Soften the blow for Desko? I am a Desko supporter as his teams brought me a lot of great joy. No way he wins only 4 games last year. I think he is a good coach but it was harder each year to argue that he should keep the job long term. As I recall the Gait hiring news broke before Desko had even announced his retirement. Wildhack really makes some blunders on these transitions. If he is out for caring for feelings it does not appear that way.

Like others have astutely said on this board the offense is improved and time will tell on Gait. Legendary player at SU and did build the women’s team. He may be the right guy but hard for me to think about what could have been,

SU had a proven winner with a defensive background and offensive mindset. Shay won the national title with an upstate star player carrying the load. WOW.

You gotta give Gait more time before saying he wasn't the right choice. If this team was much better at the X then SU could be sitting at 5 - 1 or even 6 - 0 with 3 top 20 wins. Everyone would be happy with Gait. Give him time to figure it out. I mean before the season started 90% of the ppl on here said it doesn't matter how good the offense and defense is if they can't win face offs. Well they lost to 3 top 20 teams by a small margin and chance to win the games even with the other team getting double the amount of possessions. If they can improve face offs and GBs then who knows how this season turns out. Getting a W today would be huge then they got 3 mid major games to try and fix the issue before the tough final stretch. A win today and the next 3 they will be sitting at 7 - 3 heading into that stretch run.

Oh also idk how many more games Desko wins last yr with the goaltending the team had and defense. The defense this yr isn't great but it's improved. Goalie is night and day. Desko had Porter and a lot of talented players his last few seasons.

Def agree today is a must win. As hopkins already has 3 loses and haven’t even begun big ten play so could possibly drop out of ranks towards end. Which be bad lost on cuse. But even if don’t happen need a win vs rank team and build confidence before that hard long stretch at end. I know prob unlikely to happen but would love if they came out and just put it on hopkins so could unclench my butt hole for once and relax. But have feeling gonna be tough close game hopefuly with cuse dub. My son still really wants that five nights at freddy plushy promised him if cuse wins. 3 weeks in row he’s been waiting for a cuse win. Let GO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom