Thoughts on Things | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Things

I think Jackson is better suited to working on the inside, he's more comfortable working in space than against a matchup.

Alford can take the next step if he gets more physical. He let's DB's bully him. Definitely agree that if he gets more aggressive and shows that he can deal with the physicality of playing on the outside and competing for balls he will be hard to stop. I want to see Shrader throw to leverage with Alford.

Without a doubt, we have to get Pena more touches in space. He is a game breaker. Have to get him the rock way more.

Same goes for Tucker, when he is available on the outlet out of the backfield that should be an automatic throw when the qb comes off his read.

Would like to see Hatcher get some run. I'm guessing he's not quite strong enough, but I think he's a dynamic route runner with hands. He's going to be a really good one.

I don't know what's going to happen with the OL. I think it's more scheme than personnel though, although I thought Cruz looked really solid in the spring. Im curious what it would look like with him at tackle and move Davis back inside. Davis doesn't seem comfortable on the outside but I thought he was a hell of a run blocker when he was at guard.
I want to see Alford targeted a minimum of 5 times tomorrow lets see what he can do

PFF run blocking

Vett
Berg
Bleich
Davis
Ellis

BA9F6869-03B4-46B0-AAC5-B08DBD45F1C9.gif

I respect any football program...at least those that compete who follow the rules...
like Wagner.
But this is the "breather type game" that all programs schedule... and then we have a bye.
My point...THIS TEAM it seems has played its best ball. What we saw vs L'ville and what we saw vs Virginia
show the current edition is leaking oil. Dino and Co. will have had a 3 week period to improve, to get healthy, to renovate. The guys on the 2 deep that come off the bench need to step up and contribute...BIG TIME. (hello WRs)
RIGHT NOW we are a 6-6 team.
We can go 8-4.

Keep waiting for the light to come on for Courtney but he seemingly has lost all confidence at this point. He runs soft routes and just kind of meanders around out there while others are already firing out of their breaks. Maybe he's not being given specific routes though vs being told to find holes in the defense and just sit down as a relief valve?

Agree. Throw to where he has leverage against the db. Throw some jump balls to him. If he can embrace the physicality and make some contested catches we will become very hard to defend.
I agree but doing it against Wagner wont prove anything. There's guys he face every day in practice that are better than Wagner's DB's. Alford needs to be a dog. His physique and physical tools can only take him so far. You either have the will or not. I dont see the dog in him yet. I hope he can get there.

Last edited:
I agree but doing it against Wagner wont show prove anything. There's guys he face every day in practice that are better than Wagner's DB's. Alford needs to be a dog. His physique and physical tools can only take him so far. You either have the will or not. I dont see the dog in him yet. I hope he can get there.

144% THIS.

Alford needs to adopt and live OG’s mindset -
“Nobody can guard me”.

And then make it into reality.
Like OG has been doing.

Love me some Pena in the slot. He is so hard to tackle, maybe harder than Taj was. Let's get him the ball in space early and often.

PFF run blocking

Vett
Berg
Bleich
Davis
Ellis
I keep seeing comments that Vett can't play C because he doesn't hold up at the point of attack.

I keep seeing comments that Vett can't play C because he doesn't hold up at the point of attack.

People are obsessed with his size compared to the rest of our line. If interior line gets blown up he gets blamed regardless if it's the monsters on either side of him at fault

144% THIS.

Alford needs to adopt and live OG’s mindset -
“Nobody can guard me”.

And then make it into reality.
Like OG has been doing.
So OG what were you thinking when you saw that man coverage with no saftey help

OG ‘I’m looking at 0 (coverage) like, He can’t stick me’…. ‘I look up and there’s the ball, thats it’

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom