thoughts on this year | Syracusefan.com

thoughts on this year

kcsu

Living Legend
Tough finish hard to actually put a finger on it but something happened and the team lost its mojo. Not sure if it was the Grant injury, JB going bonkers, a really hard stretch... but something occured to get this team out of sync.

I have been watching SU Basketball since Roy was coaching. I was recruited by Syracuse and have been around the program a long time. I cant ever remember a Syracuse team shooting the4 ball this bad. Ever. Im sure someone will come up with a stat showing that im wrong but for the life of me these guys are the worst shooting team that we have ever had.

D now that is a different animal. When this group was on it was something to watch. Still they dont give you points for playing great D you still need to score and we didnt.

Another thing that was odd about this team is that for the first time in a very long while we did not have a true scorer. Jim always has a go to guy often times a few, this year we didnt have one. Not one guy who could take his man at will no MCW, No DW, No Wes in short no go to guy. Fair was supposed to be that guy but at heart he is the worlds best support player. It isnt his make up to be "The guy" Same with Trevor. Good player but a role player at best. Streak shooters are not what you would call a go to. Ennis is a passer first second third and fourth. He is an old school point G. Not a scorer. Give the kid credit he did his best and at times was magic but he is not a scorer. He isnt MCW, DW, Devo, He is a true point G and he didnt have that scorer to feed, didnt have the guys that would really let him shine.

Grant was at times amazing as well but again he isnt the go to guy. Isnt the scorer talented beyond belief but not someone who you give the ball and step back and watch. He too is a role player. As for Rak well he just doesnt have much of game on O. Great in the back of the zone and yes he had moments but still not a scorer and not a go to guy.

In short this team was one player short. One go to guy short of having an amazing year. Next year will be different those that stay will improve. Young guys who didnt play much will and of course the new blood will bring a new dimension. My first SU bball game was around 65 and i have watched some amazing players wear Orange. This year was special in so many ways. The run, being number 1 and of course Duke. The fact that it ended on a down note doesnt diminish all that was accomplished. We had a great year and we will have another next year. This program is made. Each year it is just a question of how far we go not if we get to. Glad to be Orange!!

A center with good hands who can score and play d without getting into foul trouble would have helped...

Like you said, no true "dude" on offense and based on some player comments mentally and physically exhausted (or injuries) after the first Duke second Pitt games from which they never recovered

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom