Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts

Yes, I mentioned this in another post but Leach went 3-9, 6-7 and 3-9 his first three years at Wazzu. Different conference but similar type program to ours, Wake and N.C. State

I could like this 5x.

Only thoughts are cutting down on the penalties. They play a sound, four quarter game and they can compete with most teams in the country until the clock reads 0:00.

I'm frustrated, but as mad as I am right now, I think all we need is patience. I know this isn't fun right now, but what we saw the last 2 weeks, against 2 programs that have far more talent right now, gives me hope. We have basically gone toe to toe, on the road against top 25 programs, being severally out manned. We are fighting with an extremely young interior OL, a OT ,who if any of those thought would have started 16 straight games when he signed ,we would have thought it was a miracle,literally no RB, and without our preseason top 3 DE's, and arguably our best defensive playmaker. Honestly, i'm really not sure how we're doing it. It seems like we are so close right now. It's one of those things where I feel like i'm watching, waiting for everything to start to click, and it's very close. Programs like NC ST, and Wake, are in years 5 and 4 of their respective rebuilds, with former, successful, MAC HC's. I think it's safe to say we are far ahead of where they were in year 2 of each of their rebuilds. I don't think we will have to wait as long as they did before they start to see the results of their patience. I know people are getting on Babers because of some questionable calls, which I agree, there have been some head scratchers, but still you aren't building programs with a couple of in-game calls. All HC's make some bone headed decisions, that's the last thing i'm worried about. All I know is what I am seeing...and that;s a system that can win. The difference between this program, and the former is night and day. Recruiting is at the best it's been in 15 years and the 2016 and 2017 class will serve as a solid building block for Babers to build upon. Right now what we need most is time. We need our OL to mature, and we need to get a RB in there that can move the ball. Defensively, we are already seeing signs of progress.

Another thing that gives me hope is that we have players in position to make plays, but right now they are either too young, or just not as talented. We miss easy throws, catches, INT's, tackles and kicks. That's not on the system, it's on our talent, and that can be fixed, and we are seeing that addressed.

Next week is the season. We are better than Pitt and we have them at home. It's an absolute must win, and will show us just how far we have to go.

All that I know is I am all-in on Babers more than ever.

Agree with everything here. I'll add, depth is still an issue. I think we'd rotate some players out when the make boneheaded mistakes if there was adequate backup.

come back in 2 yrs and show me that NC state is still sitting where they are now.. they have talent at key spots, a dline thats supposed to be top 2-3 in the country and a QB that hasnt made a mistake yet and still we pushed towards 500 yds with no running game and no home run threats.

I mean you can definitely tell SU football is changing and I love it.

I am hard on some Babers decisions but that's being a fan. Like a poster previous stated if you don't think he's right for the job well your wrong.

To imagine we had Shafer coaching this team compared to a Babers.

Trust, patience, and watching the team develop as a “process” takes place is great.
But a win again a peer team would be nice every now and then

I'm frustrated, but as mad as I am right now, I think all we need is patience. I know this isn't fun right now, but what we saw the last 2 weeks, against 2 programs that have far more talent right now, gives me hope. We have basically gone toe to toe, on the road against top 25 programs, being severally out manned. We are fighting with an extremely young interior OL, a OT ,who if any of those thought would have started 16 straight games when he signed ,we would have thought it was a miracle,literally no RB, and without our preseason top 3 DE's, and arguably our best defensive playmaker. Honestly, i'm really not sure how we're doing it. It seems like we are so close right now. It's one of those things where I feel like i'm watching, waiting for everything to start to click, and it's very close. Programs like NC ST, and Wake, are in years 5 and 4 of their respective rebuilds, with former, successful, MAC HC's. I think it's safe to say we are far ahead of where they were in year 2 of each of their rebuilds. I don't think we will have to wait as long as they did before they start to see the results of their patience. I know people are getting on Babers because of some questionable calls, which I agree, there have been some head scratchers, but still you aren't building programs with a couple of in-game calls. All HC's make some bone headed decisions, that's the last thing i'm worried about. All I know is what I am seeing...and that;s a system that can win. The difference between this program, and the former is night and day. Recruiting is at the best it's been in 15 years and the 2016 and 2017 class will serve as a solid building block for Babers to build upon. Right now what we need most is time. We need our OL to mature, and we need to get a RB in there that can move the ball. Defensively, we are already seeing signs of progress.

Another thing that gives me hope is that we have players in position to make plays, but right now they are either too young, or just not as talented. We miss easy throws, catches, INT's, tackles and kicks. That's not on the system, it's on our talent, and that can be fixed, and we are seeing that addressed.

Next week is the season. We are better than Pitt and we have them at home. It's an absolute must win, and will show us just how far we have to go.

All that I know is I am all-in on Babers more than ever.
Amen

come back in 2 yrs and show me that NC state is still sitting where they are now.. they have talent at key spots, a dline thats supposed to be top 2-3 in the country and a QB that hasnt made a mistake yet and still we pushed towards 500 yds with no running game and no home run threats.

They are senior heavy this year too

I think the talent gap between us and the teams we've played is less pronounced then folks here like to make it out to be. Having said that, the o-line is too young and light, our d-ends are developing, and we lack running backs that cannot overcome our line deficiencies (our starter is not a natural back who can make something out of nothing, and our game breaker can't run through any contact). That will kill us against pretty much any team that isnt equally deficient in their front 7.

Our lack of a Running back is killing us. Miss JF big time. At this point do you go with the Frosh?

at this point it is what it is this year in regards to running the ball

The thing I don't understand is last season we always started hot and then cooled.

This season we start cold and get hot.

Like... let's start hot and stay hot.
Throwing an INT on your first possession certainly doesn't help getting a hot start.

For the record, I'm all-in on Babers as well.

Our lack of a Running back is killing us. Miss JF big time. At this point do you go with the Frosh?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens because they all but pulled Strickland oyesterday. They started splitting him out and instead went with Elmore in the backfield. So by frosh who knows which one. Strickland had 7 carries for 6 yards. that's brutal.

Looks like they benched Murphy yesterday to. Hof kicked the field goal and took the last couple of kicks.

Strick and Neal clearly can make some space plays. Hopefully that is the direction they go in. Too early to give M. Pierre more carries especially after his costly fumble a few games ago.

Sorry to be a negative nancy, but I am a glass is half empty guy.

We were "close" 2 years ago when we played the #1 and #6 teams in the country close at home. We were close several years ago when we killed a very good L-ville team. Close doesn't cut it. This team needs to start winning. LSU got beat by Troy. They are obviously not very good. MTSU has done nothing after beating us. The NCST loss, I can very much live with as they are the more talented team and they were at home.

I believe Dino has the team trending in the right direction. We have a good foundation, and it is only year 1.5 of the Dino era, but I am still pessimistic.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens because they all but pulled Strickland oyesterday. They started splitting him out and instead went with Elmore in the backfield. So by frosh who knows which one.

Elmore is a beast. However, I go nuts when they put him out wide after running him motion. Why?

Elmore is a beast. However, I go nuts when they put him out wide after running him motion. Why?
Probably because he pulls a linebacker outside with him and it’s easier to get a linebacker out of the box from the start of the play than it is to block him when he is already already in the box.

2 yds per carry. yes we got MAJOR issues with the run game. also 0 sacks this week in 33 pass attempts. problem.

I am optimistic and believe we are almost there, Pitt,Wake & BC are obviously must have's and I considered NC St. and Miami as "Flip" games, meaning we have to win 1 of those to flip to 6-6 and a bowl, the extra 15 practices are critical to the growth of the rebuild, not to mention the extra game for the young players.
I think Wildhack having SU roots, knowing what it takes to turn a program around and knowing what the university is will pay if he made a change, will stay the course.
We need a steady regular RB and I wish Dino would just use the freshman and use Strickland like a receiver, not sure why Elmore is not used more, positive things seem to happen when he is on the field, not sure why Pierce is not used more, but maybe it is all part of learning the system. I do think Dino is bringing in better athletes and this years class is shaping up nicely.
I am patient and willing to continue to look forward to each game, I really feel for the players because we are almost there, it hurts to see them come so close, but the corner will be turned this year, there is a lot of season left. Next Sunday we will all be having a different conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom