Three weeks until opening kickoff | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Three weeks until opening kickoff

Why would you get agitated? We are in America talking college football. My only point is, Syracuse and Purdue are not Georgia. We both have concerns. OL appears to be one of yours, no?

I’ll give you an example. At LT mahamane Moussa is a quick physical established player by now. He and RT (formerly RG) Marcus Mbow both came in as RFr last year. That’s real. Center Gus Hartwig will probably still be out. He’s better than both. In the middle? We have two 300 lb guys who had good g5 careers who will play one center and one guard spot. A young linemen named kaltenberger played for Hartwig last year when he was out. He went down in camp but will probably be back.

So something like

LG Nichols (Unlv mountain west 3rd team)
C kaltenberger
RG grant (bowling green)

And two guys who played p5 bit rolls in Austin Johnson (colorado) and Luke Griffin (missouri).

Are they gonna be consistent and decent? Probably. would it be highly speculative to suggest that they will get into your DL and open big holes for Mockobee? Also probably.
I’m not agitated in the slightest. OL is, IMO, the biggest concern for SU. That being said, I think it’s less of a concern than it has been over the last handful of years. I think that there are more useful pieces at the coaches disposal than in years past. Even though Bergeron is now off to starting for the Falcons, I think this line can potentially be better than we’ve seen in a few years.

So many variables plus it is a road game for our guys. I think it will be a toss up at best for us.

I don't think Purdue got hosed per se, and it was remarkable how they imploded at the end. Still, while sitting in the Dome I felt the Boilers had the better team. As you say, it won't be easy for SU.
I don’t think it will be easy for us either. If last year showed anything, it was that it was a tough game and both teams played hard.

We had a great 247 guy who came from our local paper. Was a beat writer, went to the school, had good contacts, good info. But wasn't a huge recruiting guy and they let him go.

The new 247 guy hasn't gone to a single practice (I think pretty well documented at this point), and the only subscriptions they have left are for people who just want recruiting news. I don't even know who that guy is, but I loved him in Road Trip.

Listening to him analyze the current team is like listening to me analyze Purdue football when I say they'll start 0-3.

Except I'm more likely to be right.
Two things can be true though right? He can suck and also not be wrong when he refrains from exclaiming that wohlabaugh is the answer. But yes he’s probably not the best rep of your school.

I’m not agitated in the slightest. OL is, IMO, the biggest concern for SU. That being said, I think it’s less of a concern than it has been over the last handful of years. I think that there are more useful pieces at the coaches disposal than in years past. Even though Bergeron is now off to starting for the Falcons, I think this line can potentially be better than we’ve seen in a few years.
very fair. You guys are a fair fan base.

Two things can be true though right? He can suck and also not be wrong when he refrains from exclaiming that wohlabaugh is the answer. But yes he’s probably not the best rep of your school.

Yes. And blind squirrels can find nuts and broken clocks are right twice a day.

He doesn't even know who's currently in the OL rotation. We try to take guesses from videos but no one knows.

I don’t think it will be easy for us either. If last year showed anything, it was that it was a tough game and both teams played hard.
Thanks for posting. It is one of my two favorite things of this forum.

1 Syracuse info. It is tough to come by, especially if your not a local.

2 When fans of other teams post.

Thanks for posting. It is one of my two favorite things of this forum.

1 Syracuse info. It is tough to come by, especially if your not a local.

2 When fans of other teams post.
I only follow college football. All other sports lost their appeal to me. I also don’t really do social media. So I could talk about this stuff all day.

ESPN fpi favors you guys by 3%. This could be another classic

I only follow college football. All other sports lost their appeal to me. I also don’t really do social media. So I could talk about this stuff all day.

Personally I'm very excited to see the game under the lights at Ross-Ade. Very cool stadium, very underrated night game environment. I like the fact that it is similar to Wrigley, night games are a very new phenomenon at Ross-Ade because lights hadn't been there for the longest time, right?

Should be a great environment and a great early test for both teams.

To answer your original overarching question, Syracuse's season pretty much always rests on how many players get hurt. The only time the team stayed healthy was in 2018 when they went 10-3. Generally they always get hurt and the November record for Dino Babers is indicative of that.

DL - Better depth than last season but will be tested if 2-3 guys get hurt. DE's are mostly unproven.
OL - Goal is to find 8 good players to rotate over the season.

So, I’ll say that a lot of perception of purdue makes sense if you make some basic assumptions:

> myth - Everything was going great under Jeff brohm and he was awesome for Purdue

In reality last year was a season on the brink. brohm’s brother was the operations manager and wasn’t liked by the entire team. Let’s leave it at that. Brohm himself rarely talked to most players. The second best defensive back allegedly got in a fight at halftime at Maryland and abruptly left the team. Brohm had 4 really good assistants on his entire staff in six years and strength and conditioning conditioning was a joke. Many of his assistants at Purdue are only analysts for him now at Louisville. Brohm apparently didn’t care about much besides the QB position and passing game and Branson Deen’s leadership kept the team together.

> myth - Ryan Walters is “just a new coach.”

Reality - the media loves to cover Purdue S though they should always stay in their place. Ryan Walters took over the 98th ranked defense in the nation and in 2 years, at ILLINOIS, took them to 29th then 3rd and 1st in scoring defense. If he did it one more year, he was going to become one of the hot coaches in America. Purdue’s AD decided to hire him a year before he became the big name.

Myth - Hudson card is “just a solid guy who got benched.”

Card got benched for top recruit feom 2020 Quinn ewers, but actually looked better than ewers against alabama. With arch Manning coming in, he knew he better move on. Unbiased sources like big ten network who watched a practice have said “look out.”

Myth - Purdue has had a lot of turnover

Reality - the three defensive linemen who left didn’t fit in Walters front. They are 4-2-5 guys and Walters runs the 5-1-5. Right tackle Eric Miller who transferred to Louisville.. go back and watch your game. He’s “a starter who played 900 snaps” and was at best below average for all 900. The only transfer out that I even remotely care about was left guard Spencer Holstege to UCLA

You’re no pushover and I expect Dino to have a team ready to play. I admired your heart last year. Of course you have a few top flight talents as well. But if you guys were supposed to suck but were actually gonna be pretty good (or vice versa) I’d wanna know it too.

This is a game of two teams where the defense will pose problems for the opposing offense.

The reality for Purdue is that the players look bigger and in better shape than I’ve seen in 20 years, they brought in good transfers where they lost some key players, made some huge upgrades (corner) and they’ve really spent the last two years not playing many freshman or redshirt freshmen. So there have been a lot of players waiting their turn because Purdue was winning with upper class men. I.e. there are four TDs with more natural talent than Payne Durham.

I think Army may be the sneaky toughest game in the first five. Whole different ballgame with Jeff Monken's offense.

By the way the week before we play you guys we go to va tech. Any read on them?
Don't know much on Va Tech yet. Don't think their supposed to be too great. I'm guessing you guys get a W.

Thanks for all the info. Glad we get to see some game film from your Fresno State and Va Tech games before playing you guys week 3.

I think Army may be the sneaky toughest game in the first five. Whole different ballgame with Jeff Monken's offense.
I am not concerned about Army. Think they are changing their offense (rules are making their old offense tough to run).

At Purdue is going to be our toughest test of the first 4. Also in terms of last year's game - watching Jones and Williams battle was fun. Both won some and lost some - good competition by two guys with game.

So, I’ll say that a lot of perception of purdue makes sense if you make some basic assumptions:

> myth - Everything was going great under Jeff brohm and he was awesome for Purdue

In reality last year was a season on the brink. brohm’s brother was the operations manager and wasn’t liked by the entire team. Let’s leave it at that. Brohm himself rarely talked to most players. The second best defensive back allegedly got in a fight at halftime at Maryland and abruptly left the team. Brohm had 4 really good assistants on his entire staff in six years and strength and conditioning conditioning was a joke. Many of his assistants at Purdue are only analysts for him now at Louisville. Brohm apparently didn’t care about much besides the QB position and passing game and Branson Deen’s leadership kept the team together.

> myth - Ryan Walters is “just a new coach.”

Reality - the media loves to cover Purdue S though they should always stay in their place. Ryan Walters took over the 98th ranked defense in the nation and in 2 years, at ILLINOIS, took them to 29th then 3rd and 1st in scoring defense. If he did it one more year, he was going to become one of the hot coaches in America. Purdue’s AD decided to hire him a year before he became the big name.

Myth - Hudson card is “just a solid guy who got benched.”

Card got benched for top recruit feom 2020 Quinn ewers, but actually looked better than ewers against alabama. With arch Manning coming in, he knew he better move on. Unbiased sources like big ten network who watched a practice have said “look out.”

Myth - Purdue has had a lot of turnover

Reality - the three defensive linemen who left didn’t fit in Walters front. They are 4-2-5 guys and Walters runs the 5-1-5. Right tackle Eric Miller who transferred to Louisville.. go back and watch your game. He’s “a starter who played 900 snaps” and was at best below average for all 900. The only transfer out that I even remotely care about was left guard Spencer Holstege to UCLA

You’re no pushover and I expect Dino to have a team ready to play. I admired your heart last year. Of course you have a few top flight talents as well. But if you guys were supposed to suck but were actually gonna be pretty good (or vice versa) I’d wanna know it too.

This is a game of two teams where the defense will pose problems for the opposing offense.

The reality for Purdue is that the players look bigger and in better shape than I’ve seen in 20 years, they brought in good transfers where they lost some key players, made some huge upgrades (corner) and they’ve really spent the last two years not playing many freshman or redshirt freshmen. So there have been a lot of players waiting their turn because Purdue was winning with upper class men. I.e. there are four TDs with more natural talent than Payne Durham.

Gave you a like because of the format of this post. Good stuff.

I am not concerned about Army. Think they are changing their offense (rules are making their old offense tough to run).
I wouldn’t be worried about Army regardless. Rocky Long is known for dominating the triple.

You mean his new offense they've never ran and may not have the talent for?

You mean his new offense they've never ran and may not have the talent for?
The rock I live under blocked the info that the NCAA did away with the cut blocking that made it so effective. I still think they run the ball a ton that game though... We'll be fine