Three weeks until opening kickoff | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Three weeks until opening kickoff

I think SU will be a bit better than last years team as well but Upstate's summary was written while drinking a little bit of Orange koolaid. How will our OL be is the most concerning factor for us. I was going to post that I think the Purdue is going to be much more difficult than many on this board think. Just because we beat you last year and you lost mainly your stud QB and WR and have a new staff everyone wants to pencil that game in as an automatic win. Most pundits will have you as favorites i'm sure but I think that game will be a toss up 50/50 game. Just because you will be working out new system kinks yet.

You played a softer BIG schedule last year but most on this board don't realize you guys won 8 games last year and played in the BIG championship game, even though you got smoked by Michigan in that one. A main difference is we are now playing in your house which is a big change to us having our home dome advantage and you are replacing your QB with another very talented QB in Hudson Card. Stats from Texas below.

View attachment 230413

That game is going to be huge for us either way. I twill be a good test for both teams.
Yeah I know. They have cover 3 summer school so I can tell when someone is BSing. I’ll read this whole thing then give you the non kool aid Purdue media guide lol.

Quick question. I know you’re going to be set up to defend spread concepts nicely sand you’ll have a lot of athletes on defense. How will your DL be against the run? Summer schools said it was a real struggle last year

Last edited:

Your 247 guy doesn’t share your appraisal of the OL?

“It’s not going too well”

Joe more doesn’t sound like an answer. If that was Purdue’s answer I’d be worried

Not sure what the fans you met said to you? I thought we’d go 8-4 because of a cake schedule and I was ready for brohm to go when he did. There were parts of that team that were far below average for a p5 conference.

This year there are massive changes for everyone. The coverage seems to be “hey this is where I view this program historically, so I’ll just go by their historical value.” I’m very pleased with the changes
The 247 folks don’t like much about Cuse ever. Like how the last dozen players who we put in the NFL or sent off to LSU, OSU etc were never given much respect but the folks who pay the most money for players seemed to like them much more than the 2.4.7 crew and their peers.

As for the fans, that really wasn’t fair since there wasn’t a big enough sample size to judge… it was mostly your team and coaches that rubbed me the wrong way.

BTW, my entire description above was tounge in cheek poking a little fun at what I considered an overly optimistic take on your own team. I decided to match your enthusiasm and raise you :)

Yeah I know. They have cover 3 summer school so I can tell when someone is BSing. I’ll read this whole thing then give you the non kool aid Purdue media guide lol.

Quick question. I know you’re going to be set up to defend spread concepts nicely sand you’ll have a lot of athletes on defense. How will your DL be against the run? Summer schools said it was a real struggle last year
Our run defense was much better the first few games until we lost 3 of our top 5 DL, 3 of our top 5 LBs, our NFL corner who was extremely good in run support and our other corner (also good in run support) who was banged up the latter half of the year (he is now CB1 for LSU)

That said, a power run game is absolutely still going to be our weakest point. We are all just hoping with a bit more size, experience and health at DL and our top run support LB back from injury we could maybe get to average at defending the power run?

As we tried to tell one of your fellow fans who came over here last year, any team that attempts to beat us primarily through the air, will struggle. They tried to convince us nobody could stop your big 3 but we held them to 9 points through the first 3 quarters and net 23 points for the game (have to subtract the pick 6). We have been putting DBs into the league on the regular the past 3 years and are about to start putting edge rushers into the league as well I think with our 335 scheme…

Last edited:
I think SU will be a bit better than last years team as well but Upstate's summary was written while drinking a little bit of Orange koolaid. How will our OL be is the most concerning factor for us. I was going to post that I think the Purdue is going to be much more difficult than many on this board think. Just because we beat you last year and you lost mainly your stud QB and WR and have a new staff everyone wants to pencil that game in as an automatic win. Most pundits will have you as favorites i'm sure but I think that game will be a toss up 50/50 game. Just because you will be working out new system kinks yet.

You played a softer BIG schedule last year but most on this board don't realize you guys won 8 games last year and played in the BIG championship game, even though you got smoked by Michigan in that one. A main difference is we are now playing in your house which is a big change to us having our home dome advantage and you are replacing your QB with another very talented QB in Hudson Card. Stats from Texas below.

View attachment 230413

That game is going to be huge for us either way. I twill be a good test for both teams.
Congrats. You just did a better job of summing up Purdue than everyone who made a video on YouTube lol.

You’re far from a team to take lightly

Not at all. 8-4. But much better than Jeff brohm. He was really bad at hiring a staff. He only got mark hagen cause hagen coached for joe tiller. He hired Bob Diaco dude. Aiden Oconnell was coached privately by the same guy (Christiansen) who coached mahomes, or brohm wouldn’t have won 7 games in either of the last two seasons.

I was merely just teasing was all. Card definitely has talent for sure. It will be interesting to see how your passing game looks this year. I get the coaching issues but OConnell was both talented and just very smart back there. Great instincts in the pocket. His chemistry with Charlie was uncanny. Not a common thing you see across cfb how much in sync those two were. All that new blood with new ideas on both sides of the ball likely warrants some excitement I'm sure but patience too.

We go into your house that will be packed which is a tough place to win. I like our chances with the talent and synergy we bring in along with a deeper DL and once again a very strong and deep LB core. How we defend the run and the deep ball will be key along with our OL which has some young guys in key roles after losing some long time veterans including a second round pick LT(still think he should have been a first rounder). I expect whoever gets their legs under themselves first wins this one.

Hard to say. On the one hand he’s new. It took him 4 games at Illinois, but bielema didn’t want him to run his defense at first. Also, no one other than jerzahn Newton was even a high 3 star on the Illinois D. I recalled reading that many of them were “left for dead” in the NFL process.

What Harrell does isn’t entirely different from brohm and I think that Mockobee being the guy to start the year will matter. If card isn’t good we won’t be. If he is, as Dave revsine and Texas fandom say, it’s bot gonna be much different from the higher functioning moments of last year.. putting more points on Illinois than anyone else did.

Defensively, it may take a minute for Walters to be at the top end of what he does. Where Purdue sees an immediate benefit is .. brohm’s staff other than mark hagen was so bad. And even hagen suffered from brohm’s downturn in recruiting a lot of positions.

Last year against you guys you had Jamari brown and Reese Taylor at corner I believe. Brown just transferred 3 days ago because he was told there’s no way he starts. Taylor was a backup at Indiana the previous year. MLB Kieren Douglas probably ran a 5.0 forty. The starting DL talent wise was a bunch of guys who were good the previous year BECAUSE karlaftis wreaked havoc.

Ron English’s strategy, and you saw it on the game winning TD, was to make up for all the flaws by playing cover 0 or putting cam Allen single high in an ocean, both with mediocre pressure.

Walters kind of said thanks but no thanks to the pieces that didn’t fit and has remade the defense to be much more effective. It has much more talent than the Illinois defense. But that’s all anyone knows at this point.

I know that Syracuse is no one to take lightly especially when Purdue is on O
You're describing a rebuild and rebuilds are rarely functioning at a moderate, let alone high, level in year one...we're talking game three of the season. Purdue might have some good pieces and promising players, but football is all about scheme, fit, and experience. It's going to take time for Walters to get his schemes implemented and the players and coaches to gel inside of it.

I just watched the preview video that was shared. I don’t know who that guy is from Nunes, but his analysis was ridiculous. The most glaring thing was referring to Escobar as a RB transfer from New Mexico. His view of the O line was myopic. He didn’t seem to know anything about Reed or Wohlabaugh. Dino notoriously moves pieces around on the line, so I don’t see how he can comment with any confidence that More will be starting or who the 5 starters will be. His analysis of the D line was ill informed as well. No mention of the Bama transfer or Jobity. I don’t recall if he mentioned the injuries to guys like Lockett and others. Our depth on both lines is better than it’s been in years, which he completely misses. The guy was a Debbie Downer for sure. He seems to be someone who started following Syracuse in the last 10 years and just assumes we’ve always sucked and will continue to do so.

I’m not saying SU will go undefeated. I think I have them going 8-4. I don’t know if they’ll beat Purdue, but overall I expect the team to be better than last year. If the injury bug doesn’t bite too harshly, this team could be special.

The 247 folks don’t like much about Cuse ever. Like how the last dozen players who we put in the NFL or sent off to LSU, OSU etc were never given much respect but the folks who pay the most money for players seemed to like them much more than the 2.4.7 crew and their peers.

As for the fans, that really wasn’t fair since there wasn’t a big enough sample size to judge… it was mostly your team and coaches that rubbed me the wrong way.

BTW, my entire description above was tounge in cheek poking a little fun at what I considered an overly optimistic take on your own team. I decided to match your enthusiasm and raise you :)
I got 3 minutes into that and had to stop watching. Can we get a gofundme page to get Stephen Bailey back? Maybe get him an NIL deal? Name a tailgate after him? FFS.

But he’s interviewing your 247 guy who makes money off of subs to the Syracuse site lol.

Yeah the culture brohm fostered wasn’t great. We had the game won and Durham talked more than he should. I could try to defend it, but would Bear Bryant really be hearing Durham’s excuses? Probably not. I heard that Branson Deen kept the entire defense from falling apart off the field and it was a season on the brink. But they did play hard.

I don’t think we are great but I think you must have also experienced how… in this off-season of change people are just kinda saying “hey in my mind this program is X, I’m gonna put them here.” So there’s just a lot of bad info on Purdue.

I’ll give you an example that has nothing to do with Syracuse.. whose physicality and tenacity I respect. From preview videos. Beano Cooke always said Illinois should be good because there is no Illinois state in D1. So I think people decided “hey, they went 8-4 and lost to Purdue .. so Illinois is back. They should be good and Purdue is ‘just Purdue.’”

So every Purdue prediction video basically says this:

“Walters is a new head coach. He must learn as he fails. Card may have had a decent season when he played, but he’s just okay. He will be new and he must fail as he adjusts to his new environment.”

But… Illinois’ new DC was just the DB coach last year and has never been a DC. Also, their new QB has 247 career passing yards. Apparently they will hit the ground running (if you watch these videos).

So you’re saying I’m enthusiastic but I’m just calling it like I see it. In 2019 I saw a 5-7 season and we went 4-8 lol. This year I think we are going 8-4.

I just watched the preview video that was shared. I don’t know who that guy is from Nunes, but his analysis was ridiculous. The most glaring thing was referring to Escobar as a RB transfer from New Mexico. His view of the O line was myopic. He didn’t seem to know anything about Reed or Wohlabaugh. Dino notoriously moves pieces around on the line, so I don’t see how he can comment with any confidence that More will be starting or who the 5 starters will be. His analysis of the D line was ill informed as well. No mention of the Bama transfer or Jobity. I don’t recall if he mentioned the injuries to guys like Lockett and others. Our depth on both lines is better than it’s been in years, which he completely misses. The guy was a Debbie Downer for sure. He seems to be someone who started following Syracuse in the last 10 years and just assumes we’ve always sucked and will continue to do so.

I’m not saying SU will go undefeated. I think I have them going 8-4. I don’t know if they’ll beat Purdue, but overall I expect the team to be better than last year. If the injury bug doesn’t bite too harshly, this team could be special.
This is great. So, rivals has spyview. cats illustrated has a “wohlabaugh to the portal” thread. After reading it, I’m expecting more.

I was merely just teasing was all. Card definitely has talent for sure. It will be interesting to see how your passing game looks this year. I get the coaching issues but OConnell was both talented and just very smart back there. Great instincts in the pocket. His chemistry with Charlie was uncanny. Not a common thing you see across cfb how much in sync those two were. All that new blood with new ideas on both sides of the ball likely warrants some excitement I'm sure but patience too.

We go into your house that will be packed which is a tough place to win. I like our chances with the talent and synergy we bring in along with a deeper DL and once again a very strong and deep LB core. How we defend the run and the deep ball will be key along with our OL which has some young guys in key roles after losing some long time veterans including a second round pick LT(still think he should have been a first rounder). I expect whoever gets their legs under themselves first wins this one.
With Syracuse I’m wondering about pass blocking and whether the run will be the kind of threat that brings defenders into the box. If it is or Shrader has become a more dynamic passer, I will be worried.

Defensively, I know Syracuse is gonna play hard and bring the athletes. I’m wondering if they’ve gotten qualitatively better against the run since last year.

As for Jones.. he was unknown as a receiver this time last year. Purdue has recruited the position well. The slot should be fine. The outside could be the weakness of the team if the vets haven’t gotten over their injuries. Highly likely Purdue ends up playing a slot guy or two outside. That’s one weakness

I don’t think Purdue is great. There’s just so many bad previews about them.

New HCs at schools like Purdue and Syracuse almost always struggle in year “0” - new QBs suffer as well.

Lower turnover at HC and QB shift this game to Cuse. But I don’t think it will be easy. If I were a Purdue player, I’d think we got hosed last year.

You're describing a rebuild and rebuilds are rarely functioning at a moderate, let alone high, level in year one...we're talking game three of the season. Purdue might have some good pieces and promising players, but football is all about scheme, fit, and experience. It's going to take time for Walters to get his schemes implemented and the players and coaches to gel inside of it.
I think with the portal it’s going to be about the quality of the coach so long as they can get talent.

Walters took the Illinois D from 98th to 29th in year one. I think the 5-1-5 is very innovative

But he’s interviewing your 247 guy who makes money off of subs to the Syracuse site lol.

But, (and I may be wrong here, but pretty sure I’m not), the guy being interviewed here hasn’t been at a single practice this fall.

That kinda matters.

I can start a podcast to try and make money of SU fans - but it might help if I knew what I’m talking about.

This is going to be a better Purdue team than last year. Returning production is less meaningful than who you have as your replacement.

O’Connell - Card is not a drop off

Jones - an unknown this time last year. Purdue recruited the position very well during brohm’s tenure. Last year WR coach Jamarcus Shephard became OC at Washington. His replacement was awful. Purdue was lucky Oconnell and Jones played together as kids.

Durham - Garrett Miller tore his acl in camp last year. He was always much more talented than Payne durham. Most talented Purdue TE since Dustin Keller.

The defense is going to be night and day. Ryan Walters is no joke. Brohm was a great offensive chess player who had a great WR coach his first five years, did well with TEs, and other than that had about 3 good assistants in 6 years. Only mark hagen was still with him last year.

The biggest difference will be the 5 man front and corners. Brohm put bad corners on the field for six years other than Cory trice; who was hurt for Syracuse. Marquis Wilson and markevious brown would have been in line for serious playing time at Penn state and ole miss.

I’m 40. I haven’t seen a 30 yard non-contact penalty on a kickoff in my life and i think I’ll be 80 before I see another one.
Lose Kevin James GIF by TV Land

But, (and I may be wrong here, but pretty sure I’m not), the guy being interviewed here hasn’t been at a single practice this fall.

That kinda matters.

I can start a podcast to try and make money of SU fans - but it might help if I knew what I’m talking about.
Again though, as an example is he wrong to not list wohlabaugh as a savior at RT? I actually read his transfer thread on the Kentucky site.

No one said anything about him being a savior. He’s just one of many players in the mix for the two deep. Congrats on reading the UK site.
I was responding to this:

“His view of the O line was myopic. He didn’t seem to know anything about Reed or Wohlabaugh.”

From post 207. What’s to know? Reed is a JUCO. We were supposed to have a good juco in.. to be our 5th tackle. I wasn’t going to call home about him if he showed up. Of wohlabaugh, Kentucky fans said things like “meh” “looked bad in the short time he played” and “was worked when he got in the game.”

That would be like me acting like Jeffrey M’ba Is a solution. Massive talent. Number one juco player in America when he went to auburn. A guy we heard auburn didn’t want to lose. COULD he be huge for Purdue? Sure. But he didn’t accumulate much in the way of any real stats at auburn and fans there said things like “thought he would dominate and it never really took off.”

All of this to say this.. I’m sure there are things that are real and established about your team. More players along the lines of fantastic players along the lines of Gadsden and Ozechukwu. But when I bring up concerns that I saw expressed and the answer goes into guys who have proven nothing.. it’s a little you know.

I’ll give you this. Purdue’s best two established proven receivers are both slot guys. Deion Burks is 5’9” and will probably start on the outside because Yaseen, rice and Canion… all three talented vet receivers.. have injury concerns. Yaseen has been out for a year and a half. Canion looked like a handful for Joey Porter jr then missed the rest of the year. Rice got hurt in 2021 and was never the same last year. All were high three stars and four stars. Jaron tibbs and Curtis Deville have talent but are completely new. So that’s an area of concern for us. We will probably start a slot guy outside.

And all I’m looking for from opposing fans is what’s real and established and what is “hey we hope for this but we really don’t know.”

“His view of the O line was myopic. He didn’t seem to know anything about Reed or Wohlabaugh.”

From post 207. What’s to know? Reed is a JUCO. We were supposed to have a good juco in.. to be our 5th tackle. I wasn’t going to call home about him if he showed up. Of wohlabaugh, Kentucky fans said things like “meh” “looked bad in the short time he played” and “was worked when he got in the game.”

That would be like me acting like Jeffrey M’ba Is a solution. Massive talent. Number one juco player in America when he went to auburn. A guy we heard auburn didn’t want to lose. COULD he be huge for Purdue? Sure. But he didn’t accumulate much in the way of any real stats at auburn and fans there said things like “thought he would dominate and it never really took off.”

All of this to say this.. I’m sure there are things that are real and established about your team. More players along the lines of fantastic players along the lines of Gadsden and Ozechukwu. But when I bring up concerns that I saw expressed and the answer goes into guys who have proven nothing.. it’s a little you know.

I’ll give you this. Purdue’s best two established proven receivers are both slot guys. Deion Burks is 5’9” and will probably start on the outside because Yaseen, rice and Canion… all three talented vet receivers.. have injury concerns. Yaseen has been out for a year and a half. Canion looked like a handful for Joey Porter jr then missed the rest of the year. Rice got hurt in 2021 and was never the same last year. All were high three stars and four stars. Jaron tibbs and Curtis Deville have talent but are completely new. So that’s an area of concern for us. We will probably start a slot guy outside.

And all I’m looking for from opposing fans is what’s real and established and what is “hey we hope for this but we really don’t know.”
I was responding to your response to Jake. I don’t want to get you any more agitated so I’ll keep it simple. The Nunes guy may not be a great source. Also, Dino keeps personnel decisions very close to the vest. Few, if any outside of the team and coaches know who’ll be the starting five on the offensive line. We can speculate and make educated guesses, but at this point we don’t know. On paper there appears to be more depth, but games aren’t played on paper.

If you are able to read all the coverage from practice and coach and player interviews on YouTube better than anyone here then more power to you . That's where the substance is not the nunes podcast etc. It's mostly very small nuggets outside the obvious stuff and that's it. There are a ton of posts on here breaking down thoughts from what those nuggets mean. Definitely much more than you have plugged into. If time is on your side best way to go is read through those.

Our run defense was much better the first few games until we lost 3 of our top 5 DL, 3 of our top 5 LBs, our NFL corner who was extremely good in run support and our other corner (also good in run support) who was banged up the latter half of the year (he is now CB1 for LSU)

That said, a power run game is absolutely still going to be our weakest point. We are all just hoping with a bit more size, experience and health at DL and our top run support LB back from injury we could maybe get to average at defending the power run?

As we tried to tell one of your fellow fans who came over here last year, any team that attempts to beat us primarily through the air, will struggle. They tried to convince us nobody could stop your big 3 but we held them to 9 points through the first 3 quarters and net 23 points for the game (have to subtract the pick 6). We have been putting DBs into the league on the regular the past 3 years and are about to start putting edge rushers into the league as well I think with our 335 scheme…
Thank you for this. Exactly what I’m looking for. I don’t think fans last year could have known how big of a drop off WR coach McGee was from the fantastic Jamarcus shepherd who left for Washington. The left outside receiver spot saw a substantial drop off.

I definitely don’t doubt your prowess at corner and think it will be next man up.

Harrell’s air raid runs the ball more as West Virginia rushed for 171 yards a game last year. I think brohm only barely beat that number in year 1.. 2017 lol.

Your defense is definitely to be respected.

Watching “football” from the other side of the globe this morning, but really wish I was watching Gameday leading into a nooner. One more week.
Gameday is still a thing in the streaming era?

New HCs at schools like Purdue and Syracuse almost always struggle in year “0” - new QBs suffer as well.

Lower turnover at HC and QB shift this game to Cuse. But I don’t think it will be easy. If I were a Purdue player, I’d think we got hosed last year.
So many variables plus it is a road game for our guys. I think it will be a toss up at best for us.

I don't think Purdue got hosed per se, and it was remarkable how they imploded at the end. Still, while sitting in the Dome I felt the Boilers had the better team. As you say, it won't be easy for SU.

Your 247 guy doesn’t share your appraisal of the OL?

“It’s not going too well”

We had a great 247 guy who came from our local paper. Was a beat writer, went to the school, had good contacts, good info. But wasn't a huge recruiting guy and they let him go.

The new 247 guy hasn't gone to a single practice (I think pretty well documented at this point), and the only subscriptions they have left are for people who just want recruiting news. I don't even know who that guy is, but I loved him in Road Trip.

Listening to him analyze the current team is like listening to me analyze Purdue football when I say they'll start 0-3.

Except I'm more likely to be right.

I was responding to your response to Jake. I don’t want to get you any more agitated so I’ll keep it simple. The Nunes guy may not be a great source. Also, Dino keeps personnel decisions very close to the vest. Few, if any outside of the team and coaches know who’ll be the starting five on the offensive line. We can speculate and make educated guesses, but at this point we don’t know. On paper there appears to be more depth, but games aren’t played on paper.
Why would you get agitated? We are in America talking college football. My only point is, Syracuse and Purdue are not Georgia. We both have concerns. OL appears to be one of yours, no?

I’ll give you an example. At LT mahamane Moussa is a quick physical established player by now. He and RT (formerly RG) Marcus Mbow both came in as RFr last year. That’s real. Center Gus Hartwig will probably still be out. He’s better than both. In the middle? We have two 300 lb guys who had good g5 careers who will play one center and one guard spot. A young linemen named kaltenberger played for Hartwig last year when he was out. He went down in camp but will probably be back.

So something like

LG Nichols (Unlv mountain west 3rd team)
C kaltenberger
RG grant (bowling green)

And two guys who played p5 bit rolls in Austin Johnson (colorado) and Luke Griffin (missouri).

Are they gonna be consistent and decent? Probably. would it be highly speculative to suggest that they will get into your DL and open big holes for Mockobee? Also probably.