Three weeks until opening kickoff | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Three weeks until opening kickoff

And the special teams should be back to being very good.
We have enough depth to have very good players on special teams.
Oh, definitely can’t forget about Specials.

KO+

KR+

P++

PR even

Coverage even

PK is obviously the spot to watch here. Good for what, maybe +3/-3 wins for a team in close games like Cuse? Strong leg? Good. Accuracy? TBD.

Last year, the team went into the season with Lockett and Darton as known commodities in the middle, with Fuentes-Cundiff likely to see time based on necessity. Then Lockett went down. And teams started to gash the defense on the ground.

This year, Lockett, Darton, and Fuentes-Cundiff are joined by Ingraham. Perhaps Bassette and Perry will be ready for a few snaps too. If they can rotate six guys into the middle instead of relying on one undersized guy, that's a huge upgrade for the 2023 season.
We also played a ton this spring with 4 DL schemes (as well as in the bowl game). Tony did a great game in many ways but his reluctance to even try a 4 man front when his defenses were getting gashed with simple runs was unacceptable.

Against certain teams I think we will see 2 DTs. Also expect to see a DT deployed as a DE sometimes too to make it harder to run against us.

I will be shocked if run defense is a problem in 2023. If we get gashed this year, it will be via the air.

I think Rocky is going to be more aggressive than Tony was. I expect more movement, more switching, more sacks. TFLs and forced turnovers.

And yes, more long TDs given up too.

I would actually prefer for them NOT to play Perry early, maybe use Ty Gordon the early four games, and then have Perry's four games for the meat of the schedule [following your suggestion].

And if they aren't able to redshirt him, well -- that's the way it is.
Good call. I like it.

Tony was still finding his way to solve the problems.. Rocky will be much quicker to pull the trigger in those spots. But it still comes down to have the right bodies. You might have a solution but if you cant apply it, nothing matters..

Unless Perry is truly a beast from Day 1, I would love him to get his four games in and redshirt. Hopefully a bit strategic as well to keep the other DT's healthy for the stretch-run.
No disagreements here.

I would actually prefer for them NOT to play Perry early, maybe use Ty Gordon the early four games, and then have Perry's four games for the meat of the schedule [following your suggestion].

And if they aren't able to redshirt him, well -- that's the way it is.
Yeah it depends on how much they think he'll play. If he can play some every game you play him, even if its just a little bit and that may be the case with him. If he can help us win now you let him play and use a year. He's not a kid who needs to grow his body and improve his strength at all. For him its all experience. And i'd hate for him to leave for the NFL with eligibility left where we could have used him. I just really hope he's not a guy who gets poached from us by the big boys as that would really piss me off. He seems like he could become a coveted player to me. Hopefully the fact he's a local guy comes into play. I'm really excited for him. I feel like we could probably use him at DT or the larger DE spot that Caleb plays at.

Yeah it depends on how much they think he'll play. If he can play some every game you play him, even if its just a little bit and that may be the case with him. If he can help us win now you let him play and use a year. He's not a kid who needs to grow his body and improve his strength at all. For him its all experience. And i'd hate for him to leave for the NFL with eligibility left where we could have used him. I just really hope he's not a guy who gets poached from us by the big boys as that would really piss me off. He seems like he could become a coveted player to me. Hopefully the fact he's a local guy comes into play. I'm really excited for him. I feel like we could probably use him at DT or the larger DE spot that Caleb plays at.

Agree 100% with all that.

I was just going on the point made by the poster I was responding to. I.E., if we're going to only play some players 4 games to preserve a redshirt, then I'd prefer for Perry's 4 games to be in the heart of the schedule, where he can help bolster depth, than at the beginning of the season.

But I think that Perry is an athletic freak. He's built like the DL version of Jarveon Howard. Despite being a true frosh, he looks big / muscular enough to help NOW. And if he can challenge for the two-deep, then I'm all for him playing.

Whatever it takes to get us to 8 or 9 wins. Can't have enough quality DL depth, as we learned last year.

Agree 100% with all that.

I was just going on the point made by the poster I was responding to. I.E., if we're going to only play some players 4 games to preserve a redshirt, then I'd prefer for Perry's 4 games to be in the heart of the schedule, where he can help bolster depth, than at the beginning of the season.

But I think that Perry is an athletic freak. He's built like the DL version of Jarveon Howard. Despite being a true frosh, he looks big / muscular enough to help NOW. And if he can challenge for the two-deep, then I'm all for him playing.

Whatever it takes to get us to 8 or 9 wins. Can't have enough quality DL depth, as we learned last year.
Ingraham was medically DQed at Bama. Lockett is coming off a serious knee injury. Darton was helped off the field a number of times last season.

I think it would help everyone if playing time was shared among a number of players. Cundiff-Fuentes looked good late last year and the frosh might also help. So many options. Vastly more depth here than we have had in a long time.

We also played a ton this spring with 4 DL schemes (as well as in the bowl game). Tony did a great game in many ways but his reluctance to even try a 4 man front when his defenses were getting gashed with simple runs was unacceptable.

Against certain teams I think we will see 2 DTs. Also expect to see a DT deployed as a DE sometimes too to make it harder to run against us.

I will be shocked if run defense is a problem in 2023. If we get gashed this year, it will be via the air.

I think Rocky is going to be more aggressive than Tony was. I expect more movement, more switching, more sacks. TFLs and forced turnovers.

And yes, more long TDs given up too.
Totally agree, this was one of his biggest (and few) issues.

Was was really perplexing to me because he was so aggressive vs the pass (other than 3rd and long… and late in games)

Although White was great with the 335 and that scheme seems to fit our talent better (more athletes/speed, less size) I do think he ran a more conservative version of it many times.

I really hope gameday goes to notre dame week 4 for Nd Ohio state bc if Clemson can beat fsu in week 4 that leaves cuse Clemson as a great matchup for gameday for week 5. Cmon! One time dealer !

It would be shocking if they didn't go to South Bend for ND-Ohio State. Ohio State will be undefeated. ND has one test, @ NC State, which they should win, unless a hurricane rolls in.

If we take care of our business, and Clemson takes care of theirs, it's certainly a possibility given a fairly unattractive schedule that week.

But I've seen this movie before, and I hated it the first time.

Ingraham was medically DQed at Bama. Lockett is coming off a serious knee injury. Darton was helped off the field a number of times last season.

I think it would help everyone if playing time was shared among a number of players. Cundiff-Fuentes looked good late last year and the frosh might also help. So many options. Vastly more depth here than we have had in a long time.
30 snaps per guy. Best play 1st and 4th. Rotate heavily, situationally

Today is such a college football Saturday and it’s a travesty the calendar is August 19.

We’re so close
Watching “football” from the other side of the globe this morning, but really wish I was watching Gameday leading into a nooner. One more week.

Totally agree, this was one of his biggest (and few) issues.

Was was really perplexing to me because he was so aggressive vs the pass (other than 3rd and long… and late in games)

Although White was great with the 335 and that scheme seems to fit our talent better (more athletes/speed, less size) I do think he ran a more conservative version of it many times.
Do you think he was more conservative by nature or do you think our injuries played a role in limiting personnel groupings/play calling?

Last edited:
This is going to be a better Purdue team than last year. Returning production is less meaningful than who you have as your replacement.

O’Connell - Card is not a drop off

Jones - an unknown this time last year. Purdue recruited the position very well during brohm’s tenure. Last year WR coach Jamarcus Shephard became OC at Washington. His replacement was awful. Purdue was lucky Oconnell and Jones played together as kids.

Durham - Garrett Miller tore his acl in camp last year. He was always much more talented than Payne durham. Most talented Purdue TE since Dustin Keller.

The defense is going to be night and day. Ryan Walters is no joke. Brohm was a great offensive chess player who had a great WR coach his first five years, did well with TEs, and other than that had about 3 good assistants in 6 years. Only mark hagen was still with him last year.

The biggest difference will be the 5 man front and corners. Brohm put bad corners on the field for six years other than Cory trice; who was hurt for Syracuse. Marquis Wilson and markevious brown would have been in line for serious playing time at Penn state and ole miss.

I’m 40. I haven’t seen a 30 yard non-contact penalty on a kickoff in my life and i think I’ll be 80 before I see another one.

Last edited:
This is going to be a better Purdue team than last year. Returning production is less meaningful than who you have as your replacement.

Jones - an unknown this time last year. Purdue recruited the position very well during brohm’s tenure. Last year WR coach Jamarcus Shephard became OC at Washington. His replacement was awful. Purdue was lucky Oconnell and Jones played together as kids.

Durham - Garrett Miller tore his acl in camp last year. He was always much more talented than Payne durham. Most talented Purdue TE since Dustin Keller.

The defense is going to be night and day. Ryan Walters is no joke. Brohm was a great offensive chess player who had a great WR coach his first five years, did well with TEs, and other than that had about 3 good assistants in 6 years. Only mark hagen was still with him last year.

The biggest difference will be the 5 man front and corners. Brohm put bad corners on the field for six years other than Cory trice; who was hurt for Syracuse. Marquis Wilson and markevious brown would have been in line for serious playing time at Penn state and ole miss.

I’m 40. I haven’t seen a 30 yard non-contact penalty on a kickoff in my life and i think I’ll be 80 before I see another one.
Appreciate the insight, do you think Walters will have that team firing on all cylinders in Week 3? I certainly hope not.

Appreciate the insight minus the sour grapes added in ;) to your post. Looking forward to the game. Based on the above I expect Purdue should be a top 10 team then?

Great info, definitely more insight than I have seen anywhere nationally. Now I’ll give it a try…

This is going to be a better Syracuse team than last year. Most important returning production is back and several players who were already injured for your game should be gtg by game 3.

Shrader - Offseason elbow procedure has him more healthy than anytime since his high school days, this could improve his 70% completion percentage through the first 7 games of last year. Oh and his legs should be more fresh as Purdue is the first P5 game on his slate. Pick your poison

OG - We don’t need to replace him, he is back, 10lbs heavier and a tick faster but now with a whole other level of confidence

I Jones - He is also back (the other 6-4 receiver you couldn’t guard in the 2nd half last year, recall the TD and long PI call from your DB who was beat)

Our below average Center and backup guard playing right tackle are being replaced by a JUCO AA center and an SEC tackle

Our NFL Left Tackle is being replaced by another NFL Left Tackle in his 3rd year who’s only discernible difference is that he is bigger, stronger, leaner, quicker and more athletic than the guy who he replaces

The entire OL will be coached by a much more accomplished OL Coach who is already paying dividends based on reports from the team

Our NFL running back (who was injured against you) will be replaced by a guy who will likely eclipse his total yards as he is as good running the ball as he is catching it.

Our star middle LB leaving should be softened by the fact that our biggest, strongest, fastest NFL ready LB will be back 100% by your game this year, and the rest of the elite LB core is 1 year better

Our DL almost all returns 1 year bigger, stronger and more experienced in the 335, including our 6th senior leader DE who had a pick 6 against you last year

3 of our 4 top safeties return 1 year better and more experienced plus a half dozen 4 star transfer reinforcements

We lost a CB to the NFL and replace him with 6-3 lock down corner who will be playing for pay next year

Our DC was replaced by the originator of the 335 concept and comes with 20 years head coaching experience with a winning record against P5 playing with G5 recruits. We won’t be going into a turtle shell with a 10 point lead with 8 minutes to go in the game because Rocky has the experience and aggression to close games out (yes we had a double digit lead late and you all complain about blowing the game)

Our OC was replaced by his protege who was responsible for creating several prolific dual threat quarterbacks with elite production including Taysom Hill, Bryce Perkins and Brennan Armstrong (look what happened to Armstrong when Beck left VA). Beck was already handling situations that were close and late because his instincts are so good, now we get him for a whole game!

I’m 41, I haven‘t encountered a team in the Dome with more inflated egos or less class since G’town in the 80’s. Do dumb stuff, win dumb prizes.

Last edited:

But you’ll only be 41 when your basketball chits its pants in the tournament, again. Wah.

Appreciate the insight, do you think Walters will have that team firing on all cylinders in Week 3? I certainly hope not.
Hard to say. On the one hand he’s new. It took him 4 games at Illinois, but bielema didn’t want him to run his defense at first. Also, no one other than jerzahn Newton was even a high 3 star on the Illinois D. I recalled reading that many of them were “left for dead” in the NFL process.

What Harrell does isn’t entirely different from brohm and I think that Mockobee being the guy to start the year will matter. If card isn’t good we won’t be. If he is, as Dave revsine and Texas fandom say, it’s bot gonna be much different from the higher functioning moments of last year.. putting more points on Illinois than anyone else did.

Defensively, it may take a minute for Walters to be at the top end of what he does. Where Purdue sees an immediate benefit is .. brohm’s staff other than mark hagen was so bad. And even hagen suffered from brohm’s downturn in recruiting a lot of positions.

Last year against you guys you had Jamari brown and Reese Taylor at corner I believe. Brown just transferred 3 days ago because he was told there’s no way he starts. Taylor was a backup at Indiana the previous year. MLB Kieren Douglas probably ran a 5.0 forty. The starting DL talent wise was a bunch of guys who were good the previous year BECAUSE karlaftis wreaked havoc.

Ron English’s strategy, and you saw it on the game winning TD, was to make up for all the flaws by playing cover 0 or putting cam Allen single high in an ocean, both with mediocre pressure.

Walters kind of said thanks but no thanks to the pieces that didn’t fit and has remade the defense to be much more effective. It has much more talent than the Illinois defense. But that’s all anyone knows at this point.

I know that Syracuse is no one to take lightly especially when Purdue is on O

Great info, definitely more insight than I have seen anywhere nationally. Now I’ll give it a try…

This is going to be a better Syracuse team than last year. Most important returning production is back and several players who were already injured for your game should be gtg by game 3.

Shrader - Offseason elbow procedure has him more healthy than anytime since his high school days, this could improve his 70% completion percentage through the first 7 games of last year. Oh and his legs should be more fresh as Purdue is the first P5 game on his slate. Pick your poison

OG - We don’t need to replace him, he is back, 10lbs heavier and a tick faster but now with a whole other level of confidence

I Jones - He is also back (the other 6-4 receiver you couldn’t guard in the 2nd half last year, recall the TD and long PI call from your DB who was beat)

Our below average Center and backup guard playing right tackle are being replaced by a JUCO AA center and an SEC tackle

Our NFL Left Tackle is being replaced by another NFL Left Tackle in his 3rd year who’s only discernible difference is that he is bigger, stronger, leaner, quicker and more athletic than the guy who he replaces

The entire OL will be coached by a much more accomplished OL Coach who is already paying dividends based on reports from the team

Our NFL running back (who was injured against you) will be replaced by a guy who will likely eclipse his total yards as he is as good running the ball as he is catching it.

Our star middle LB leaving should be softened by the fact that our biggest, strongest, fastest NFL ready LB will be back 100% by your game this year, and the rest of the elite LB core is 1 year better

Our DL almost all returns 1 year bigger, stronger and more experienced in the 335, including our 6th senior leader DE who had a pick 6 against you last year

3 of our 4 top safeties return 1 year better and more experienced plus a half dozen 4 star transfer reinforcements

We lost a CB to the NFL and replace him with 6-3 lock down corner who will be playing for pay next year

Our DC was replaced by the originator of the 335 concept and comes with 20 years head coaching experience with a winning record against P5 playing with G5 recruits. We won’t be going into a turtle shell with a 10 point lead with 8 minutes to go in the game because Rocky has the experience and aggression to close games out (yes we had a double digit lead late and you all complain about blowing the game)

Our OC was replaced by his protege who was responsible for creating several prolific dual threat quarterbacks with elite production including Taysom Hill, Bryce Perkins and Brennan Armstrong (look what happened to Armstrong when Beck left VA). Beck was already handling situations that were close and late because his instincts are so good, now we get him for a whole game!

I’m 41, I haven‘t encountered a team or fan base in the Dome with more inflated egos or less class since G’town in the 80’s. Do dumb stuff, win dumb prizes.

Your 247 guy doesn’t share your appraisal of the OL?

“It’s not going too well”

Joe more doesn’t sound like an answer. If that was Purdue’s answer I’d be worried

Not sure what the fans you met said to you? I thought we’d go 8-4 because of a cake schedule and I was ready for brohm to go when he did. There were parts of that team that were far below average for a p5 conference.

This year there are massive changes for everyone. The coverage seems to be “hey this is where I view this program historically, so I’ll just go by their historical value.” I’m very pleased with the changes

Appreciate the insight minus the sour grapes added in ;) to your post. Looking forward to the game. Based on the above I expect Purdue should be a top 10 team then?
Not at all. 8-4. But much better than Jeff brohm. He was really bad at hiring a staff. He only got mark hagen cause hagen coached for joe tiller. He hired Bob Diaco dude. Aiden Oconnell was coached privately by the same guy (Christiansen) who coached mahomes, or brohm wouldn’t have won 7 games in either of the last two seasons.

But you’ll only be 41 when your basketball chits its pants in the tournament, again. Wah.
I didn’t think we’d do well and don’t think painter sent enough guys into the portal this time. If we make the elite 8 we will have wildly exceeded my expectations.

I think SU will be a bit better than last years team as well but Upstate's summary (edit: SuSkibum’s summary) was written while drinking a little bit of Orange koolaid. How will our OL be is the most concerning factor for us. I was going to post that I think that Purdue is going to be much more difficult than many on this board think. Just because we beat you last year and you lost mainly your stud QB and WR and have a new staff everyone wants to pencil that game in as an automatic win. Most pundits will have you as favorites i'm sure but I think that game will be a toss up 50/50 game. Just because you will be working out new system kinks yet.

You played a softer BIG schedule last year but most on this board don't realize you guys won 8 games last year and played in the BIG championship game, even though you got smoked by Michigan in that one. A main difference is we are now playing in your house which is a big change to us having our home dome advantage and you are replacing your QB with another very talented QB in Hudson Card. Stats from Texas below.

1692655187805.png

That game is going to be huge for us either way. I twill be a good test for both teams.

Last edited: