Three weeks until opening kickoff | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Three weeks until opening kickoff

You could spend tens of millions and, short of giving away free tickets at the door, I don't think you would generate any buzz/significant attendance impact

There are plenty of us that are fans of multiple cuse sports - you can get some juice out of curb stomping 'Gate twice this year for revenge.

It’s about more than that one game. It’s getting the buzz going and that snowball building.
I understand that, but its hard to build buzz when you don't have anything immediate to build to.

I guess I am curious what you (and others) would prefer them to do?

I understand that, but its hard to build buzz when you don't have anything immediate to build to.

I guess I am curious what you (and others) would prefer them to do?

For one- there could be a better effort on the alumni front. I didn't do season tickets but I'm subscribed to everything SU I can as an alum and if not for going out and looking for material as a cuse sports junkie I wouldn't know there was a game or who we played.

Maybe my email is blocking things ( it's not I'm spam either) but I've seen nothing.

Coach Oppenheimer Babers has it locked up tighter than Los Alamos on Colvin Ave. Hard to get info to feed on. Buzz development=0. Maybe we get an explosion or we fizzle. Don't know.
you are conflating access to insider or practices with buzz. That would help increase buzz with people already into the program.

What is the plan to attract new and long lasting fans. Mostly community members with no inherent connection to the university other than we live in the area.

Schools
Pop Warner
Community Centers
Bring Back connection to Ft. Drum and Vets
Pop Up Events
Viral Marketing
Youtube/twitter/snapchat/tik tok management
Create a sense of FOMO
Partner with the Amp/Fair/Crunch/Mets
etc.

I am not a marketing guy. That's the point. I would think with as much as SU have pumped out into the sports marketing world there are experts that could lead this effort.

In lieu of that...the diehards just bish and moan when the locals don't show up due to other things being more important and create condescending terms like leaf rakers. You know what. That's garbage. And the local would rather golf on a Saturday as the season winds down then deal with that crap supposing they even knew the season was starting.

Winning helps and cures most that is for certain (See after the winning streak last year), but you put the effort in to bolster some down times or games against Colgate.

Just get 6 wins and a bowl appearance.

Even better if we roll into game 12 already bowl eligible.
ugh enough of this 6 wins crap.

To me sneaking into a pinstripe bowl with 6 wins isnt anything worth being excited about. Seniors will sit out, the game will suck, etc. Yes, extra practices, but that doesn't always translate to depth pieces doing better the following season than they would without the bowl game (especially in the transfer portal era).

If you want to root for an aspirational but borderline realistic win mark, then shoot for 7-8 wins.

ugh enough of this 6 wins crap.

To me sneaking into a pinstripe bowl with 6 wins isnt anything worth being excited about. Seniors will sit out, the game will suck, etc. Yes, extra practices, but that doesn't always translate to depth pieces doing better the following season than they would without the bowl game (especially in the transfer portal era).

If you want to root for an aspirational but borderline realistic win mark, then shoot for 7-8 wins.
Given how infrequently we achieve 6 wins, and especially given how no Syracuse HC has had back to back 6 win seasons since Pasqualoni, it's an important bench mark and a perfectly cromulent goal for fans.

I just don't take anything for granted. I see a path to 8 wins. But my expectations of progress include securing bowls annually, and we've sucked out loud at achieving that.

Given how infrequently we achieve 6 wins, and especially given how no Syracuse HC has had back to back 6 win seasons since Pasqualoni, it's an important bench mark and a perfectly cromulent goal for fans.

I just don't take anything for granted. I see a path to 8 wins. But my expectations of progress include securing bowls annually, and we've sucked out loud at achieving that.
Can't springboard to becoming an 8-4 type program without setting the baseline of annual bowl games (even if you're .500)

Can't springboard to becoming an 8-4 type program without setting the baseline of annual bowl games (even if you're .500)
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'd love a big season and hope we pull it off.

But we're going to have a really successful season just by making a bowl two years in a row with the same HC.

Fair

Possibly. If us and Clemson are undefeated we have a shot. Clemson needs to beat Fl state the week before. Would think there are likely to be lots of teams undefeated though after beating on cupcakes at that point in the season.
not so fast...undefeated Auburn/Georgia matchup is what most sites are predicting

you are conflating access to insider or practices with buzz. That would help increase buzz with people already into the program.

What is the plan to attract new and long lasting fans. Mostly community members with no inherent connection to the university other than we live in the area.

Schools
Pop Warner
Community Centers
Pop Up Events
Viral Marketing
Create a sense of FOMO
etc.

I am not a marketing guy. That's the point. I would think with as much as SU have pumped out into the sports marketing world there are experts that could lead this effort.

In lieu of that...the diehards just bish and moan when the locals don't show up due to other things being more important and create condescending terms like leaf rakers. You know what. That's garbage. And the local would rather golf on a Saturday as the season winds down then deal with that crap supposing they even knew the season was starting.

Winning helps and cures most that is for certain (See after the winning streak last year), but you put the effort in to bolster some down times or games against Colgate.
not to alarm anyone, but most casual fans don't want to go because of the "perceived" hassle of getting to the Dome. What do you think will happen when 81 comes down? I know the city is touting these "magical? alternative routes to the Dome, which is fine for the die hards, but the casual fan will stay even further away...

not to alarm anyone, but most casual fans don't want to go because of the "perceived" hassle of getting to the Dome. What do you think will happen when 81 comes down? I know the city is touting these "magical? alternative routes to the Dome, which is fine for the die hards, but the casual fan will stay even further away...

By the time 81 actually comes down, there will be a brand new exit off 690 at Crouse/Irving.

And we'll all be driving flying cars that fold up into briefcases.

Schools
Pop Warner
Community Centers
Pop Up Events
Viral Marketing
Create a sense of FOMO
etc.

Everyone's a marketing expert.

Do I think SU does everything they can in this regard? No, but they definitely do a decent enough job.

At the end of the day, people have a certain amount of disposable income and unless SU football is consistently good they will not give a single care about football.

$5 tickets, billboards, and special offers only do so much, and they kill ST numbers and also condition fans to just wait until they get a deal to purchase.

I love summer, but I've hit my wall. I'm tired of being hot. I want football and hoodie weather in my life, pronto.

Damn straight. Heat, humidity and smoke.. had enough. Time for some football at the dome.

This has to be the best roster on both sides of the ball in quite some time. The middle schedule starting with that Clemson stretch is absolutely brutal. But if this defense is what we think they can be, they can keep the team in every game and that gives me hope. I hope Beck can deliver and know how to maneuver through the game plan and make adjustments. But other than that last dungey year, this is the most excited I’ve been since 95 for football