Three weeks until opening kickoff | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Three weeks until opening kickoff

What is the outlay for all these Newhouse, Maxwell and Whitman mags? My wife gets Maxwell, I get Newhouse. It's alot i'm sure.

I think your point is valid but it's not like the university isn't spending on glossy stuff. I mean the middle ground is an email magazine with all this stuff. I get more from Holy Cross and my son hasn't even set foot on the campus yet for their football team.

The separate colleges have their own budgets for that and obviously the universes are both smaller and targeted.

Not me -- and not from an overconfidence standpoint.

Road games are always tough, but to have a good season you need to be able to beat peer teams. Simple as that. And for the first time since 2018, we have the personnel to do so on BOTH sides of the ball.

Purdue also has had a lot of upheaval, and lost key components offensively.

Doesn't mean that the game is going to be easy by any means. But as Ric Flair famously states, if you want to be the man, you have to beat the man.

Damn straight.
Yeah, reality is, season's a lot harder if we lose that game.

It's not a must win, but whether we win is likely a strong indicator of what the rest of the season holds.

If the WR doesnt play last yr we win that game by 30..

Their QB, WR, and TE absolutely shredded us. All game long, they made plays and we couldn't slow any of them down.

All three are gone this year. Now, they had a very solid QB transfer in [from Texas, I believe] -- but this isn't the same team that gave us fits last year.

Not me -- and not from an overconfidence standpoint.

Road games are always tough, but to have a good season you need to be able to beat peer teams. Simple as that. And for the first time since 2018, we have the personnel to do so on BOTH sides of the ball.

Purdue also has had a lot of upheaval, and lost key components offensively.

Doesn't mean that the game is going to be easy by any means. But as Ric Flair famously states, if you want to be the man, you have to beat the man.

Damn straight.
Woooooooooooo

Their QB, WR, and TE absolutely shredded us. All game long, they made plays and we couldn't slow any of them down.

All three are gone this year. Now, they had a very solid QB transfer in [from Texas, I believe] -- but this isn't the same team that gave us fits last year.
Graham Harrell is the new OC there, and despite his connections to the Leach Air Raid, he didn't set the world on fire at either USC or West Virginia.

And while Brohm was an offensive guy, Walters was an awesome DC at Illinois, which to me says significant identity change. The key is if we catch them while they're still in the middle of that shift.

Last edited:
How about Cuse running some promos to sell the Clemson game now in case we do stub our toe at Purdue.
"Come see Shrader, Gadsen and Allen and the rest of the Cuse squad, ranked in the top 15 last year, build on their 2022 momentum as they take on Clemson in the ACC home opener. Buy a Clemson ticket and we will throw in a free Colgate ticket."

How about Cuse running some promos to sell the Clemson game now in case we do stub our toe at Purdue.
"Come see Shrader, Gadsen and Allen and the rest of the Cuse squad, ranked in the top 15 last year, build on their 2022 momentum as they take on Clemson in the ACC home opener. Buy a Clemson ticket and we will throw in a free Colgate ticket."
Used to work with some ticket sales folks. Free ticket throw ins are a remarkably bad return. In addition to giving away inventory you can sell, a lot of times the redemption rate on free SU ticket stuff they've done hovers right around 5% and now you've got a bunch of unused tickets you can't even try to sell.

LSU needs to bury FSU at the beginning of the season. I never root against teams in our league when playing outside competition. But I'm making an exception in this case.
When we were in the Big East would root for Georgetown against teams outside our conference, because it helped our seeding.
I never have, and never will, root for Georgetown. Ever!

Syracuse U has 130K followers on Instagram.

SU football has 77K.

Cuse Pics (the AD account) has 76K.

These are cheap, easy ways to market the season. And they do. Incessantly. Honestly if people aren’t seeing things on social media - which is ubiquitous - then they’re likely not particularly reachable.

If anything, SU should be putting max effort into expanding their social footprint a ton. Clemson football has 738K followers. I’d rather see us plow money into paid social marketing campaigns than anything else.

Yeah I watched some the replay on ACC Network last night, they just shredded our D in the 4th quarter, we were so fortunate to pull that game out. Hudson Card is good but without that Big 3 and Brohm, and a defensive minded head coach, I am guessing they will look a lot more like Illinois or Minnesota this year even with Graham as OC

Last edited:
I understand that, but its hard to build buzz when you don't have anything immediate to build to.

I guess I am curious what you (and others) would prefer them to do?
Do what other schools do. Tennessee has it on TV, radio, and billboards around town. Starting at 100 days out, the radio station that broadcasts their games does a countdown " X days until it's football time in Tennessee." And it doesn't matter who they're playing. A couple years ago they were coming off a losing record and opening with Bowling Green, and they still hyped it. SU should definitely be hyping that we're coming off a winning record with our exciting QB and preseason hyped TE *cough* WR *cough* coming back. They were definitely better about this in the '90's.

Do what other schools do. Tennessee has it on TV, radio, and billboards around town. Starting at 100 days out, the radio station that broadcasts their games does a countdown " X days until it's football time in Tennessee." And it doesn't matter who they're playing. A couple years ago they were coming off a losing record and opening with Bowling Green, and they still hyped it. SU should definitely be hyping that we're coming off a winning record with our exciting QB and preseason hyped TE *cough* WR *cough* coming back. They were definitely better about this in the '90's.
Doesn't SU do all of this? I've seen billboards on 690, 81 and Erie for sure. I've seen stuff on the news pretty much every day and I follow the ESPN Syracuse station on twitter and know they've had a bunch of interviews as well, so I assume they're talking about it pretty regularly

Bill C. posted his updated SP+ projections this morning. Cuse is 55 and Purdue is 58. Purdue being -3 seems likely - a toss up in betting eyes.
Defense wins championships, and if in a stacked group on the DL, we have 2 freshman showing well, everyone on our schedule better beware.

SU football has 77K.

These are cheap, easy ways to market the season. And they do. Incessantly. Honestly if people aren’t seeing things on social media - which is ubiquitous - then they’re likely not particularly reachable.

If anything, SU should be putting max effort into expanding their social footprint a ton. Clemson football has 738K followers. I’d rather see us plow money into paid social marketing campaigns than anything else.

What's tough is how bad social media has gotten no matter how hard you try to just follow sports. Its littered with too much other crap. I'm only 40 and this is sounding like get off my lawn I'm sure but I've dumped twitter, fb except for once a month and mainly just keep IG because there is more content there at least you could argue.

I get it that's how information travels but it's still a rats nest of other crap to filter through.

Doesn't SU do all of this? I've seen billboards on 690, 81 and Erie for sure. I've seen stuff on the news pretty much every day and I follow the ESPN Syracuse station on twitter and know they've had a bunch of interviews as well, so I assume they're talking about it pretty regularly
I don't live in CNY so I assumed all of the complaining meant they weren't doing those things. If they are, I really don't get what people want them to do differently.

half our radio network barely even does the games let alone promote things.

What's tough is how bad social media has gotten no matter how hard you try to just follow sports. Its littered with too much other crap. I'm only 40 and this is sounding like get off my lawn I'm sure but I've dumped twitter, fb except for once a month and mainly just keep IG because there is more content there at least you could argue.

I get it that's how information travels but it's still a rats nest of other crap to filter through.
the best media is still the paper and thats the one thats gone away.. You can read it easily, days later, its mostly vetted information and it displays the best.

the best media is still the paper and thats the one thats gone away.. You can read it easily, days later, its mostly vetted information and it displays the best.

Dunder Mifflin agrees... as do I.. but those of us that prefer that are becoming the dinosaurs

SU football has 77K.

Agree with all of this.

If you aren't already doing this, follow the big accounts for Syracuse sports.

@ Cuse
@CuseFootball
@Commit2Cuse
@Cuse_MBBall
@Cuse_MSoccer
@Cuse_WSoccer

And go to the rosters of the Syracuse teams you watch and follow your favorite athletes on the social platforms you use. The web site has links to player accounts for all the major social media platforms on the roster pages (assuming the player has them).

It costs nothing but it increases the value of the account. Puts money in the pockets of the athletes and makes the university accounts look more impressive than they do currently (we could and should have a lot more followers across the board).

with this schedule and this roster 6 wins would be a disappointment. 6 wins doesn’t excite anybody outside of Syracuse . if we want to be taken seriously we have to be better than 6 wins. If we only get 6 wins with a 3rd year QB, all-american WR, a future star RB, and a deep, experienced defense coached by Rocky Long then there is something wrong. There is no reason not to start 4-0. At Purdue at night will be tough but they lost their staff and a ton of talent. Their picked 2nd to last just ahead of NW everywhere.
True...but then again, they will be better than Colgate and some directional non school we face the first 2 games

Graham Harrell is the new OC there, and despite his connections to the Leach Air Raid, he didn't set the world on fire at either USC or West Virginia.

And while Brohm was an offensive guy, Walters was an awesome DC at Illinois, which to me says significant identity change. The key is if we catch them while they're still in the middle of that shift.
why does everyone discount the fact that this game is on the road...at night...in a BIG 10 atmosphere. You better hope they lose at least 1 of their first 2...if they come in 0-2...lookout Cuse... they come in 2-0 is better for us