Three weeks until opening kickoff | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Three weeks until opening kickoff

This has to be the best roster on both sides of the ball in quite some time. The middle schedule starting with that Clemson stretch is absolutely brutal. But if this defense is what we think they can be, they can keep the team in every game and that gives me hope. I hope Beck can deliver and know how to maneuver through the game plan and make adjustments. But other than that last dungey year, this is the most excited I’ve been since 95 for football
I feel 1000% exactly the same way. An underrated thing is I think Rocky Long being around will make Dino a better HC too.

For one- there could be a better effort on the alumni front. I didn't do season tickets but I'm subscribed to everything SU I can as an alum and if not for going out and looking for material as a cuse sports junkie I wouldn't know there was a game or who we played.

Maybe my email is blocking things ( it's not I'm spam either) but I've seen nothing.

I get stuff constantly to the point where I read none of it.

I get stuff constantly to the point where I read none of it.

Interesting. I get the Whitman stuff but that's it. Literally nothing else unless it's donation requests. There's enough of the former to go around but nothing from athletics... unless you count syracuse.com article ads.

ugh enough of this 6 wins crap.

To me sneaking into a pinstripe bowl with 6 wins isnt anything worth being excited about. Seniors will sit out, the game will suck, etc. Yes, extra practices, but that doesn't always translate to depth pieces doing better the following season than they would without the bowl game (especially in the transfer portal era).

If you want to root for an aspirational but borderline realistic win mark, then shoot for 7-8 wins.
with this schedule and this roster 6 wins would be a disappointment. 6 wins doesn’t excite anybody outside of Syracuse . if we want to be taken seriously we have to be better than 6 wins. If we only get 6 wins with a 3rd year QB, all-american WR, a future star RB, and a deep, experienced defense coached by Rocky Long then there is something wrong. There is no reason not to start 4-0. At Purdue at night will be tough but they lost their staff and a ton of talent. Their picked 2nd to last just ahead of NW everywhere.

with this schedule and this roster 6 wins would be a disappointment. 6 wins doesn’t excite anybody outside of Syracuse . if we want to be taken seriously we have to be better than 6 wins. If we only get 6 wins with a 3rd year QB, all-american WR, a future star RB, and a deep, experienced defense coached by Rocky Long then there is something wrong. There is no reason not to start 4-0. At Purdue at night will be tough but they lost their staff and a ton of talent. Their picked 2nd to last just ahead of NW everywhere.
Agree, tough to win away, but if there was ever a time to play at Purdue, this is the year and its early season, when they will likely still be tinkering.

For one- there could be a better effort on the alumni front. I didn't do season tickets but I'm subscribed to everything SU I can as an alum and if not for going out and looking for material as a cuse sports junkie I wouldn't know there was a game or who we played.

Maybe my email is blocking things ( it's not I'm spam either) but I've seen nothing.
This is a good point. For the amount of Newhouse magazines that gather dust on my coffee table, would it be too much of a lift for the university to send to every alum a sports guide for the upcoming season? Glossy magazine with a few puff pieces on Rocky Long, Red Autry, construction pictures of Manley, a few shots of campus, etc.

The school definitely lacks in the marketing dept for the athletics for sure. This would def aid the casuals with knowing what the heck is going on.

When Gadsen was on espn show last night talking about players he's excited about, I literally didn't know 2-3 of them and i'm a lunatic who posts on a board with other lunatics

This has to be the best roster on both sides of the ball in quite some time. The middle schedule starting with that Clemson stretch is absolutely brutal. But if this defense is what we think they can be, they can keep the team in every game and that gives me hope. I hope Beck can deliver and know how to maneuver through the game plan and make adjustments. But other than that last dungey year, this is the most excited I’ve been since 95 for football

There are guys up for national awards in most every position group, you watch the interviews and we have multiple leaders on both sides and talent on both sides. Hopefully enough depth to go with. Definitely a similar vibe to Dungeys senior year in that sense to me.

Agree about 6 wins being a "disappointment".

I know our punter is better than what we had last year.
I know Denaburg will give us 5-7 yards more range on fieldgoals.
IF HEALTHY I know our LBs will be better than last year.
Our Dline is more experienced and BIGGER/deeper than last year.
There is plenty of talent in the DB area to replace who/what was lost.
Tucker was hurt pretty much all year. He could run but couldn't take contact.
Won't be the case this year with the stable of RBs.
Shrader a year more experienced in the system with a better arm and more (worthier) targets.
If an OLINE can come together( and I think our oline coach is better)...
WE WILL WIN 8 GAMES...

This is a good point. For the amount of Newhouse magazines that gather dust on my coffee table, would it be too much of a lift for the university to send to every alum a sports guide for the upcoming season? Glossy magazine with a few puff pieces on Rocky Long, Red Autry, construction pictures of Manley, a few shots of campus, etc.

The school definitely lacks in the marketing dept for the athletics for sure. This would def aid the casuals with knowing what the heck is going on.

When Gadsen was on espn show last night talking about players he's excited about, I literally didn't know 2-3 of them and i'm a lunatic who posts on a board with other lunatics

Aiding for the casuals is key to my point for sure. I get tons of stuff from Whitman plus the magazines etc. It's all academic or fund raising. As an alum the only athletics emails/mail I get are for homecoming. I've had season tickets within the past 5 years too. They really need to be better with their distribution lists at the very least.

I'm getting 2019 Maryland vibes from our fans re: this year's Purdue game.

To clarify, I'm not in any way saying we are going to lose by a million points. I'm just saying that going in that Big Ten stadium at night and winning on national TV is going to be very difficult. We will almost certainly be underdogs (I'm guessing somewhere between 3-7 points).

Interesting. I get the Whitman stuff but that's it. Literally nothing else unless it's donation requests. There's enough of the former to go around but nothing from athletics... unless you count syracuse.com article ads.

Received three unique messages in the last week and a half from Athletics and emails from the bookstore trying to sell gear to start the season.

The googles say we have 250K living alumni. Your suggestion is a 7 figure outlay.

Received three unique messages in the last week and a half from Athletics and emails from the bookstore trying to sell gear to start the season.

I hear you and I believe it. Fwiw im just saying I've seen nothing of the sort. I'm not the only one either based on asking around. Make of it what you will I guess.

The googles say we have 250K living alumni. Your suggestion is a 7 figure outlay.

What is the outlay for all these Newhouse, Maxwell and Whitman mags? My wife gets Maxwell, I get Newhouse. It's alot i'm sure.

I think your point is valid but it's not like the university isn't spending on glossy stuff. I mean the middle ground is an email magazine with all this stuff. I get more from Holy Cross and my son hasn't even set foot on the campus yet for their football team.

To clarify, I'm not in any way saying we are going to lose by a million points. I'm just saying that going in that Big Ten stadium at night and winning on national TV is going to be very difficult. We will almost certainly be underdogs (I'm guessing somewhere between 3-7 points).

Going to be a TALL TASK. I will counter your counter with the fact we have a senior QB who will not be intimidated at all by that situation. Having a veteran behind center is worth a win in these situations.

If we're 3-1 or 4-0, just want a modicum of health either way. I'd take 3-1 with a healthy GS vs 4-0 and a dinged up GS. He's too valuable for the ACC games and our chances

How dare you bring that game up. I was almost in a good mood.

How dare you bring that game up. I was almost in a good mood.
UjmM.gif

Sadly yes.

This game is going to be WAY closer than many thing

Prime time game on national television.

Great opportunity for cuse but a very scary one

Why would national television impact these guys? 70% of the team played the #2 team in the country down to the wire last year on ABC.

Bill C. posted his updated SP+ projections this morning. Cuse is 55 and Purdue is 58. Purdue being -3 seems likely - a toss up in betting eyes.

Bill C. posted his updated SP+ projections this morning. Cuse is 55 and Purdue is 58. Purdue being -3 seems likely - a toss up in betting eyes.

Of course, those SP+ predictions are mostly based on last year's results and roster.

Purdont has had massive turnover, both with an entirely new coaching staff, but also losing the majority of their impact players, particularly on O.

You've gotta like our chances, since they will surely still be ironing things out early in the season.

Of course, those SP+ predictions are mostly based on last year's results and roster.

Purdont has had massive turnover, both with an entirely new coaching staff, but also losing the majority of their impact players, particularly on O.

You've gotta like our chances, since they will surely still be ironing things out early in the season.
He does account for roster turnover and recruiting intake (including, I think, transfers), but coach gossip and eyeball predictions aren't as favorable for their first year under Walters.

Still, a helpful benchmark.

Not me -- and not from an overconfidence standpoint.

Road games are always tough, but to have a good season you need to be able to beat peer teams. Simple as that. And for the first time since 2018, we have the personnel to do so on BOTH sides of the ball.

Purdue also has had a lot of upheaval, and lost key components offensively.

Doesn't mean that the game is going to be easy by any means. But as Ric Flair famously states, if you want to be the man, you have to beat the man.

Damn straight.