Tidbits from UNC Day 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tidbits from UNC Day 2

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
The only new information is that the classes were listed and registered as lecture classes.
It is beyond dispute that there were no lectures. The grades (automatic A's) were issued by a secretary.
1,500 athletes took these Potemkin classes.

Last edited:
Its pretty simple really.

Were the classes a sham? Yes
Did UNC employees know about them? Yes
Did athletes use them to make it easy to maintain eligibility? Yes

That is simply the eligibility/vacate wins end of it.

and put them on probation along with stripping some scholarships.

and put them on probation along with stripping some scholarships.

Right any penalties after vacating would have to do with the systemic nature of this. You are talking 18 years over 1000 athletes and who knows how many employees that knew about it. These were not just easy classes they were basically non-classes that they were given good grades and credit hours for.

Last edited:
Most college students take "blow off" classes once in a while but these didn't even really exist. I took 2 during my days, the first one (Art) I got a C+ in:(. The 2nd one was called "Introduction to Leisure."
At the beginning of the first class the professor handed out the syllabus and then announced "there will be 2 10 page papers and a 20 page paper for the final exam. Line to get your drop slip signed starts on the left." Not sure if he was blowing smoke or not, I got in line.

Most college students take "blow off" classes once in a while but these didn't even really exist. I took 2 during my days, the first one (Art) I got a C+ in:(. The 2nd one was called "Introduction to Leisure."
At the beginning of the first class the professor handed out the syllabus and then announced "there will be 2 10 page papers and a 20 page paper for the final exam. Line to get your drop slip signed starts on the left." Not sure if he was blowing smoke or not, I got in line.
Was the professor clear that you would be required to write these papers? Stating that their will be papers may have been a test. Perhaps you would have been required to twice read a ten page paper and for the final read twenty? Or maybe just count ten pages and then twenty for the final? Did you see anybody putting their shoes back on as they left the final?

And a huge financial penalty - enough to hurt. Am generally not a fan of penalties affecting current players but am a fan of penalties directed to current coaches who participated.

And a huge financial penalty - enough to hurt. Am generally not a fan of penalties affecting current players but am a fan of penalties directed to current coaches who participated.
Agree. But if they all act like Rick P., they didn't know anything. :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised to but for totally different reasons, like corruption, fraudulent actions by those in power, misconduct, and possibly bribery

If you're referring to the NCAA, you're wrong. They've done everything they can to drag this out and make it miserable for unc. I'm sure as a syr fan you can appreciate that. Though the on court results haven't showed it due to unc keeping guys 3-4 years mostly, this has absolutely killed them in recruiting, at least relative to the types of guys they're used to getting. They've already been penalized in a very real sense.

For carter of all people to be saying he getting a feeling they'll be no significant penalties is pretty astounding given his overall coverage of this thing to this point. He's been very anti unc for the past 6 years.

If you're referring to the NCAA, you're wrong. They've done everything they can to drag this out and make it miserable for unc. I'm sure as a syr fan you can appreciate that. Though the on court results haven't showed it due to unc keeping guys 3-4 years mostly, this has absolutely killed them in recruiting, at least relative to the types of guys they're used to getting. They've already been penalized in a very real sense.

For carter of all people to be saying he getting a feeling they'll be no significant penalties is pretty astounding given his overall coverage of this thing to this point. He's been very anti unc for the past 6 years.

My heart aches for you, you have been through a horrible ordeal.

violin.jpg

I can only laugh that you think the NCAA is after them. They hate Syracuse and especially Jimmy B. They have been around our program for years causing nothing but stress. You guys haven't experienced anything or the consequences you deserve.

That's cute.

I can only laugh that you think the NCAA is after them. They hate Syracuse and especially Jimmy B. They have been around our program for years causing nothing but stress. You guys haven't experienced anything or the consequences you deserve.

As far as I know you guys have 2 probations to your programs name. So you know- glass houses and all that. But yeah the NCAA is ridiculous. The second noi didn't even name men's basketball and football because they couldn't barely find any players even participating in these classes and there was nothing for them to do. After a few months of media outrage, they put the names back in. There's no love lost between unc and the NCAA. This narrative that they are "protecting" one of their "sacred cows" is beyond ridiculous.

For you to say the program hasn't experienced "anything" is simply ignorant. As I said they've been killed on the recruiting trail for at least 4 years because of this.

As far as I know you guys have 2 probations to your programs name. So you know- glass houses and all that. But yeah the NCAA is ridiculous. The second noi didn't even name men's basketball and football because they couldn't barely find any players even participating in these classes and there was nothing for them to do. After a few months of media outrage, they put the names back in. There's no love lost between unc and the NCAA. This narrative that they are "protecting" one of their "sacred cows" is beyond ridiculous.

For you to say the program hasn't experienced "anything" is simply ignorant. As I said they've been killed on the recruiting trail for at least 4 years because of this.
You're a trolling clown. Go away. Go rationalize in one of the unc echo chambers

Right any penalties after vacating would have to do with the systemic nature of this. You are talking 18 years over 1000 athletes and who knows how many employees that knew about it. These were not just easy classes they were basically non-classes that they were given good grades and credit hours for.
The appropriate penalty is 5 years probation, death penalty for year 5.

You're a trolling clown. Go away. Go rationalize in one of the unc echo chambers

Actually everything I said in that post is 100% the truth. Thats the opposite of trolling. But whatever, you guys have your minds made up. Just dont expect to get what youre wanting here. If I turn out to be wrong I will come back and admit it.

"Educated" guess as an honors grad from UNC AFAM? Sorry, I have trouble reconciling the terms educated and UNC anywhere in this scenario.

"Educated" guess as an honors grad from UNC AFAM? Sorry, I have trouble reconciling the terms educated and UNC anywhere in this scenario.

I bet you got all in a huff just thinking about how funny you are when you typed that pile of... cleverness. Like you were really contributing something of value.

Not in a huff at all. And I think the bulk of the posters on a forum called "syracusefan.com" would find my posts to be of more value than your constant complaining about how badly damaged the UNC program has been. What are you hoping to accomplish here anyway? We went through the pain of an NCAA investigation for violations far more isolated than the issues at UNC so we feel your pain but don't expect members of this forum to sympathize and offer support after our program withstood severe recruiting and scholarship restrictions, vacated wins and a coaching suspension. And yes, we are envious of a program where you can decry being "killed" on the recruiting trail when your last four classes have included a total of 10 4* to 5* players. Just curious, do you feel that the AFAM program was legitimate? Do you feel that the "students" enrolled were NOT disproportionately football and basketball players? Do you think there was absolutely no action taken by any members of the athletic or support staff to leverage this program to ease the burden on athletes in maintaining eligibility? Do you feel there is ANY culpability here that requires penalties of corrective action?

Look, we agree the NCAA is a terribly flawed and laughably inconsistent organization and both programs have suffered through its capriciousness. But coming on an opponent's forum to puff your chest and taunt that UNC will not suffer any meaningful penalties kind of strips away any pretense of a logical discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom