Time for the “You up?” Text to Mike Hopkins | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Time for the “You up?” Text to Mike Hopkins

McDaniels and Stewart both fouled out. Washington up 20.

I'd take Stewart but McDaniels can make plays

They’re both really good but Hop is in a tough spot with these guys because I think they’re both a year away from producing on the level required for a F4 run, but neither will be back next year.

They’re both really good but Hop is in a tough spot with these guys because I think they’re both a year away from producing on the level required for a F4 run, but neither will be back next year.
That’s a good thing. If both were back there’d be no chance of getting him here next season.

Can’t believe Timmins scores in double digits. Quade Greene with his first good game as a Huskie.

Timmins is a pretty solid guy. Just has two blue chippers in front of him.

open question:

It is my assumption that within 5 years Roy, Coach K, and JB will all be gone. Do we benefit by JB leaving first? Do any of our possible candidates have a chance at UNC snd Duke?

To me the pond is dry across the nation. There’s no Chris Mack out there at the moment. Does Duke go Capel/Hurley or dare go someone like Carrawell? Stack house at UNC?

Thanks for sharing. To be fair, either would i (I think). But, i also think that what 007 or Zelda Zonk or John Doe would do is completely irrelevant to what Hop may or may not decide to do.
Gee, i wonder what, then, is the purpose of a sports discussion forum, when none of our posts actually affect actual behaviors of the people we discuss... Hope you enjoyed your dickish moment. Maybe you felt insulted that i 'dissed' Syracuse? "Get over it." Suggesting that Los Angeles and San Diego are preferable to me, versus Syracuse doesn't seem like a major deal... Enjoy your 30 degrees today.
: -

Does Duke go Capel/Hurley or dare go someone like Carrawell? Stack house at UNC?
I gotta think that WoJo is Duke's first call. It took him a bit, but he's got Marquette up and running (Four years of Markus Howard is a big time help there).

I think there's enough coaching talent to go around, just a matter of who's looking for what when the time comes.

open question:

It is my assumption that within 5 years Roy, Coach K, and JB will all be gone. Do we benefit by JB leaving first? Do any of our possible candidates have a chance at UNC snd Duke?

To me the pond is dry across the nation. There’s no Chris Mack out there at the moment. Does Duke go Capel/Hurley or dare go someone like Carrawell? Stack house at UNC?
They are all gone in 5 years and I don't think there is an obvious person to replace any of them. That was reason why I thought Hop was worth the risk a few years back I felt like he would be our biggest advantage of going with little change to our staff while providing more energy. I could see Duke going Capel or Wojo and I could see UNC hiring Steve Robinson. Who knows though.

I disagree. Stewart is legit, he can do it all. I've watched every game this year and he is a more athletic senior Rick Jackson who has more range while McDaniels reminds me of a McCullough who is more ready.

Don't sleep on Washington, they play Gonzaga at at HecEd which I think Washington can win, especially if Quade shows up and Carter is consistent.

People every season talk about Syracuse getting better as the season going on, Washington has 4/5 new starters, don't think they can get much better as well?

Washington is the kind of squad this year that makes a run during the tournament. Their backup center who plays 10 min would probably play 40 for us if that tells you anything.

I disagree. Stewart is legit, he can do it all. I've watched every game this year and he is a more athletic senior Rick Jackson who has more range while McDaniels reminds me of a McCullough who is more ready.

Don't sleep on Washington, they play Gonzaga at at HecEd which I think Washington can win, especially if Quade shows up and Carter is consistent.

People every season talk about Syracuse getting better as the season going on, Washington has 4/5 new starters, don't think they can get much better as well?

Washington is the kind of squad this year that makes a run during the tournament. Their backup center who plays 10 min would probably play 40 for us if that tells you anything.

Washington has a lot of talent, no doubt. I’ve also seen every game and think should be legit top 25 yearlong. But I think the team construction will keep them from making a really deep run. I don’t think they have strong enough perimeter play/3 point shooting (although Bey has looked good as a starter and that has helped), although I do think Quade will round into a very nice player for them eventually. He made some nice strides last night after being benched. IMO he is the x-factor for them.

FWIW I love me some Nahz Carter... I still don’t understand why he’s not playing for SU when Griffin has the inside line on that kid. He’s the caliber of athlete that SU used to have... Also, when is the last time Boeheim brought a kid along from 3.5 to 8.5 to 15 ppg over a 3 year stretch. Player development is an important tool in any coaching arsenal.

Washington has a lot of talent, no doubt. I’ve also seen every game and think should be legit top 25 yearlong. But I think the team construction will keep them from making a really deep run. I don’t think they have strong enough perimeter play/3 point shooting (although Bey has looked good as a starter and that has helped), although I do think Quade will round into a very nice player for them eventually. He made some nice strides last night after being benched. IMO he is the x-factor for them.

FWIW I love me some Nahz Carter... I still don’t understand why he’s not playing for SU when Griffin has the inside line on that kid. He’s the caliber of athlete that SU used to have... Also, when is the last time Boeheim brought a kid along from 3.5 to 8.5 to 15 ppg over a 3 year stretch. Player development is an important tool in any coaching arsenal.
Carter has dramatically improved his perimeter shooting. Give him credit I love watching him. I think I’m that class we really wanted a 3 who could shoot better. We felt like there were other kids we already had that did what Carter was good it. At the time being honest I was in that camp. It’s tough your making bets on what kids will do. Carter would really help us big time right now.

Everything you said makes me think they're primed for a run. The natural progressions Hops teams have made the past 2 years make me believe they're a big contender.

open question:

If Hop has success at UW he could certainly land at Duke. But he won’t. He will be in Salt City

“You up?” That’s your brilliant suggestion for courting Mike Hopkins? Let’s try to be less glib.

Everything you said makes me think they're primed for a run. The natural progressions Hops teams have made the past 2 years make me believe they're a big contender.

There is a pretty stark contrast when you compare player development at UW and SU over the last 2+ seasons. Losing Hop hurt in more than just the recruiting department. In terms of day to day operations, Hop was more of the head coach than JB except on gameday. And it was like that for a long, long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom